It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man fatally shoots himself after eating 5 marijuana candies.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: JAY1980

It comes in candies now???

It always has, if you "knew." Of course, for those of us living where it is legal, we have to watch what we say..

It is fat and alcohol soluble, meaning all cannibinoids can be transferred (or most? Not sure an actual study on that has been done..)

On an interesting note, all of the news stories about this here are selling this as edibles killing this young man. Anyone reasonable knows that, at most, it could have only contributed to his mindset.

So many pushing their agenda on the death.. I feel sorry for the guy. Doesn't seem m many are looking at where we failed him as a society in favor of perpetuating bias.

And I am pretty sure TTP is trollin
Doing a great job of it too!
edit on 28-3-2015 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

It's not a reason for concern. A responsible adult has the God-given right to make an informed decision on whether or not they want to use cannabis. The truth is that cannabis is a LOT less harmful than alcohol, and the truth is coming out now, with the US (who started the drug war) starting to admit they were wrong, and recognising that the majority of the population want it legalised.

As for weed making you kill yourself.. .not gonna happen unless you are already mentally unstable. Cannabis doesn't cause people to lose their inhibitions like alcohol does. I would bet everything I own on hundreds of thousands of people killed themselves while under the influence of alcohol and not thinking straight because of the loss of inhibitions that is a very well known effect of alcohol. We've all been drunk and done or said something stupid... ..

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
....so....um.... there's marijuana candies ??? That's a thing?

Strictly in the intent of understanding the details of this event...where did he get those....????

Never mind, that question is probably going to get me a slap on the hand here. I just was surprised, didn't know they exist.

There's marijuana everything. The legalization movement has really inspired a lot of creativity.

The end of prohibition brought a surge in new varieties of alcohol. The same thing is happening with cannabis.

If you walk into a dispensary, you can tell them exactly how you want to feel and they'll give you the right product to make it happen. Do you want to fall asleep? Do you want more energy? Do you want to feel mellow? Do you want to feel euphoric? Do you want to feel more horny? Do you want to thoroughly enjoy a concert? There's a strain for everything.

Despite what some people believe, there are not strains that will make you give up on life, quit your job, beat your wife, crash your car, or commit suicide.
edit on 3/28/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Taking a mind altering substance is un natural

That's a monumentally ignorant statement. Human beings have been taking mind altering substances since the very first one was discovered when we were still living in caves.

Beer is a mind altering substance and it saved the world.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars

I have a friend, an old bandmate, who never smokes, and is quite a lightweight in the drinking department.

One afternoon, someone brought over a jar of cookies and he ate about half of them.

He really thought he was dying and needed to go to the hospital. If we weren't there to tell him to just drink some water, eat sandwich, flush his system, and take a nap, who knows what he would have done.

I agree that edibles are dangerous - you really don't have any idea of the potency until it's too late.

However, that only applies to people who are too stupid to understand that you can always eat more in 20 minutes, but you can't un-eat anything.

I have a heart condition and od'd on caffeine once - but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the coffee's fault.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: KAOStheory
a reply to: FireflyStars

I have a friend, an old bandmate, who never smokes, and is quite a lightweight in the drinking department.

One afternoon, someone brought over a jar of cookies and he ate about half of them.

He really thought he was dying and needed to go to the hospital. If we weren't there to tell him to just drink some water, eat sandwich, flush his system, and take a nap, who knows what he would have done.

I agree that edibles are dangerous - you really don't have any idea of the potency until it's too late.

However, that only applies to people who are too stupid to understand that you can always eat more in 20 minutes, but you can't un-eat anything.

I have a heart condition and od'd on caffeine once - but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the coffee's fault.

The only problem with edibles is lack of education.

Because of the taboo nature of cannabis, many people are still unaware of how to properly use edibles. That's why all of the packaged ones come with warnings and instructions on how to properly consume.

The hospitals in Colorado and Washington are seeing a few patients a week who eat too much and freak out. If taken properly, edibles are just fine but inexperienced users don't know what they're doing.

It's simple... eat a portion and wait for it to kick in. The problem is, people expect an instant high and when they don't get it, they eat way too much.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

When family members left the condo Goodman refused to join them.

If your friend or family member no matter what the circumstances, wheather any substances have been consumed or not, and this happens...

became "jittery" then incoherent and talking nonsensically. "He would make eye contact with us but didn't see us, didn't recognize our presence almost. He had never got close to this point, I had never seen him like this," Fowler said. Fowler says Goodman became "pretty weird and relatively incoherent. It was almost like something else was speaking through him."

Then don't leave him on the condo on his own after he refuses to go with you. If I was feeling like that or doing something stupid wheather under the influence or not and I was with people who cared about me, I'd at least expect one of them to stay back and make sure I was okay. ESPECIALLY if its like how his mother is making it out to be...

She said her son was well adapted, well-adjusted and had no signs of depression or suicidal thoughts. "It was completely out of character for Luke ... there was no depression or anything that would leave us being concerned, nothing like that."

Yet...

When family members left the condo Goodman refused to join them. After they left he got a handgun that he typically traveled with for protection, and turned it on himself.

So his family members see him in this state, know something is definatley not right, he's talking non-sensically and basically sound like hes going out of his mind, and you just leave him to it? Even when you know he carrys a gun around for protection? I feel really sorry for them all, he'd probably be fine right now if they made sure he was okay... My friends and family would never leave me in the house on my own if they'd seen me like that, and if they knew i'd taken drugs of any kind and it seemed like I was having some "bad trip" on them i'd expect them to realise leaving me on my own is probably one of the worst things you could of done in a situation like that.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Alice B. Toklas would be so proud.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If someone isnt used to drinking and wants to drink to get drunk, and they dont wait for the first couple of shots to kick in and slug the whole bottle down... you know what happens.

Drinking to get drunk..... wrong way to do it.
edibles to get high.... same.

Only difference is too much alcohol can kill you. Too much pot... just makes you crazy. But as shown it is near impossible to kill yourself with pot.

The conversation of how it was the edibles is vary misdirected. The conversation should be on his lifestyle. Sounds like he wanted to get real stoned real fast and not smell like he was smoking. A closet stoner mommy and daddy didnt know about.

It isnt the cookies. It IS the way they are consumed.
edit on 28-3-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

You are absolutely right when you say cannabis doesn't cause you to lose your inhibitions. It CAN cause paranoia though in a fair amount of people. Most of those people choose not to smoke or use it because of that reason. Some people still enjoy certain aspects of the effects but still have to guard against the negatives. No one can sit there and say what being under the influence of cannabis is like ...for someone else. You can only share what it is like for you. And yeah maybe a bunch of your friends experience it the same way as you do....That does not mean that EVERYONE else does.

The problem is we are creating unnaturally high concentrations of THC within strains of cannabis.... and on top of that.... we are making even more concentrated products out of the unnaturally potent weed. So yeah...that does create a responsibility to be your brothers keeper and help him not to harm himself or others by making sure he is well informed. More is not always better and society's obsession with excesses is taking it's toll in various ways. Everyone is always trying to improve on nature and often times it's not an improvement.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

You are absolutely right when you say cannabis doesn't cause you to lose your inhibitions. It CAN cause paranoia though in a fair amount of people. Most of those people choose not to smoke or use it because of that reason. Some people still enjoy certain aspects of the effects but still have to guard against the negatives. No one can sit there and say what being under the influence of cannabis is like ...for someone else. You can only share what it is like for you. And yeah maybe a bunch of your friends experience it the same way as you do....That does not mean that EVERYONE else does.

The problem is we are creating unnaturally high concentrations of THC within strains of cannabis.... and on top of that.... we are making even more concentrated products out of the unnaturally potent weed. So yeah...that does create a responsibility to be your brothers keeper and help him not to harm himself or others by making sure he is well informed. More is not always better and society's obsession with excesses is taking it's toll in various ways. Everyone is always trying to improve on nature and often times it's not an improvement.

Most of your concerns are addressed by changing strains.

The common misconception seems to be that "pot is pot" and the effects are the same.

The best part about legalization is that people will be able to experiment with different types of cannabis until they find what works best for them.

All of the people saying "weed causes me/someone I know to do xxxx" need to realize that there are many many varieties and they all have different effects.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Quick couple of questions:

1. How many in the last week, did shoot themselves after drinking 5 bottles of "insert random alcohol"?

2. How many in the last week, did ingest 5 mari candies without shooting themselves in the face?

/thread

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

There are only TWO primary strains that ALL of these varieties are comprised of they are just varying blends of those two primary strains ( aside from what very few strains which may use Ruderalis ). I personally consider most of these claims of target specific strains to be mostly marketing strategy/hype.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

There are only TWO primary strains that ALL of these varieties are comprised of they are just varying blends of those two primary strains ( aside from what very few strains which may use Ruderalis ). I personally consider most of these claims of target specific strains to be mostly marketing strategy/hype.

Two primary strains and many hybrids. There are many sub-strains.

To your second point about target-specific strains, they aren't just marketing strategy.
edit on 3/28/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

To your second point about target-specific strains, they aren't just marketing strategy.

This is turning into a crash course in pot use. Totally against T&C.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This is turning into a crash course in pot use. Totally against T&C.

You're wrong about that but how typical of you to start throwing rules at people.

I'd like to see you make an argument to a mod and point out where someone talked about personal use.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Taking a mind altering substance is un natural

That's a monumentally ignorant statement. Human beings have been taking mind altering substances since the very first one was discovered when we were still living in caves.

Beer is a mind altering substance and it saved the world.

Not only that but animals get high as well....like dolphins getting high on puffer fish and animals in the savanna getting drunk on over ripened fruit.....

Both people and animals have been doing these things for a very long time....just for laughs i will post this vid....

Whoever came up with the this ludicrous statement about MJ making people kill themselves is a massive fraud

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Very, very sad. I hope one day the family and those most affected can find some solace.

The fact of the matter is, cannabis is psychoactive. Some respond to it with nothing, but sleepiness. On the other side of the spectrum, some experience full on psychotic symptoms when they are under the influence of cannabis (for some all it takes is a just a small bit, others experience it after heavy and prolonged use).

I've had my experiences, and I can say for a fact that the plant is much like alcohol in that it can and does cause problems for some people at times in their lives. It can also bring great relief to some. Cannabis is a tricky one, it has its pros and cons.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I love the agendas.......marijuana people point to alcohol...alcohol people point back.

If you take a drug, it will cause negative effects as well as the high you get. Its like ANYTHING in life......some people shoot their faces of on anti-depressants, alcohol, marijuana, meth....etc and it happens.

Life isnt always cut and dry for people.....say the candies led to his death and consider it an accident and move on.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Looks more like its turning into a crash course in relaying viable information.

Its funny how every time you realize how badly you are losing this argument you start harping about t&c. Which doesn't seem to have been violated yet due to the fact we are on page 10 with no post removals. So maybe we should just stick to the debate and let the mods worry about what is or isn't violating t&c.

If you need help there is still a post of mine you have failed to reply to.

edit on Cam9Sunday4820150031Sun, 29 Mar 2015 09:48:00 -05002015 by CagliostroTheGreat because: structure/ eris deliver me from typos

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join