It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial 'religious freedom' bill

page: 38
<< 35  36  37   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: marg6043

Absolutely! Thanks for adding additional facts to our information base here!

The Federal RFRA of 1993 has been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1997 (City of Boerne v. Flores.

Why are States scrambling to enact laws that are UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

What is this mess going to cost the American taxpayer?

It's literally mind-blowing.

and for idiot black pastors .

That's kind of racist, isn't it?
edit on 2-4-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
When this goes down we are going to see some "Holy Sh*t" go down.

Christian Leaders Promise Civil Disobedience If SCOTUS 'Legalizes' So-Called 'Gay Marriage'

I just hope that everyone is actually prepared for this. We're going to have our very own version of Religious Extremism right here in the old U.S of A. Not sure if they'll rank up there with Boko Haram and ISIS or not but it's looking like a very interesting future in store for everyone.

I just hope nobody decides to sell arms to both sides like they do everywhere else.

I'm so glad you picked up on that one, mOj. This is the rotten meat in the
biscuit nobody wants to bite at, this is our religious extremism coming
home to roost. Looks like it happened everywhere else, I'll agree....

I'll put it only this way and once. The government at large is a whole lot
more dangerous by just passing bad, stupid statutes (ACTS) that aren't
any more real laws than "Thou shalt not discriminate". It makes no dif-
ference to the lawmakers because they don't even follow what they
pass.
They're all better than we are, get one of them drunk: they'll tell you.

In a nutcase all real religion is faith based. So are the individual belief
system that makes doing somebody a wrong being a right. And I profess
that any 'law' that allows one to do a wrong to another isn't anything.

I was hearing from a few patriot streams that government IS the new
religion... and it's proving to be the worst faith based, sick cult ever.
Nobody will ever cause me to believe that the State is GOD, unless it's
the alphabet agency abbreviation for "Grab Our Dough."
Forget the offering plate-- your tax is due in 12 days, and you've no choice.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

a reply to: marg6043

Absolutely! Thanks for adding additional facts to our information base here!

The Federal RFRA of 1993 has been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1997 (City of Boerne v. Flores.

Why are States scrambling to enact laws that are UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

What is this mess going to cost the American taxpayer?

It's literally mind-blowing.

and for idiot black pastors .

That's kind of racist, isn't it?

How so..?? the Black clergy was at the forefront of civil and equal right 50yrs ago, yet some would side with anti-Gay civil and equal rights folks because they believe it won't come back to bite them in the azz..that's what make them idiots, the curse of Ham thing is a real possibility as it can and I predict will be used to exclude Blacks on purely religious grounds, as it was done in the past.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: derfreebie

It will defiantly be interesting and apparently we should all be witness to it when it happens because the supreme court said it's going to decide about Gay Marriage about the middle of this year so get ready.

I'm really interested to see who does what. It's mostly, from what I can tell, just pockets of anti-gay folk that really stand to make much of a fuss. Most others either are fine with it or don't care either way. But who knows for sure. There may be way more than I realize who will oppose such a ruling than I realize it's hard to tell. But if and when they do decide I think it's pretty clear there will be some that aren't going to like it one bit. Some of those people have made their way into Government positions as well and I'm sure will become very vocal about it too.

Then there is of course the same talking heads we already hear about every day who have basically been spouting about it almost daily on Radio and over the internet. They head such organizations as American Family Association, Family Research Council, Heritage Foundation, etc.

We even have quite of few Presidential Hopefuls out there that are against it too. It's going to be a mess most likely and one that further shakes up this nation and causes division which is bad. But hopefully it will also cause others to come together as well which is good. I personally just hope for more good than bad.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I just read the article supplied by MoJom, I was shocked at the comments, there are people calling for Christians to take up arms against America and their fellow Christians who support SSM.

These are Christian Jihadist, this is scary stuff and for everyone complaining about the "Gay Mafia" take a look at what a Christain version of ISIS looks like.

edit on 3.4.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

I just read the article supplied by MoJom, I was shocked at the comments, there are people calling for Christians to take up arms against America and their fellow Christians who support SSM.

These are Christian Jihadist, this is scary stuff and for everyone complaining about the "Gay Mafia" take a look at what a Christain version of ISIS looks like.

"Ahem" Christians don't do Jihads they do Crusades..

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

"Ahem" Christians don't do Jihads they do Crusades..

And inquisitions with accompanying tortures, burning at the steak, all brought about because of assumed lack of or the wrong kind of belief system. It could happen again....

And to those that claim tolerance and "hating the sin but not the sinner"...do you think we can't see thru that transparent BS.

Is this attitude of preferential treatment for Christians in the marketplace a harbinger of things to come?....probably!

www.east-buc.k12.ia.us...
edit on 3-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

a reply to: ownbestenemy

I want every American citizen to be treated equitably under the laws of this country, as well as the State, County, and/or city they reside in.

That is all. I believe in the rule of law. If that makes me a "statist" or a "totalitarian" in your book, well, thank god I don't give a rat's behind what you think.

Oh, and in anticipation of your faux-outrage that I've "accused of something" you haven't done?

Go blow bubbles.

As I do to; in regards to the law and to the application of said law to any citizen -- it should and shall be equal. That said, I have no "faux-outrage" -- whatever that is. It has been shown that the law, in its original context before the "fix", did nothing that any of the proponents said it would do. On that note, how could it have -- it was only law for what? A week?

I will blow bubbles.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

And there are countless "commentariats" who are calling to arms over those who do not believe what they do. What is the difference? This is what the American public version of ISIS looks like.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

So you never really answered the question on why it wouldn't work. Absent forced Governmental segregation (Jim Crow Laws) and a free and open market in which a very fast proportion of the society engages in...such a business, if they were to operate in pure ignorance, would be drowning in the fact they cannot get customers.

As far as the remote areas...why are you so concerned with places you do not live or are not apart of? One can assume that you have access to the internet and thus, those in your area do -- which makes me think you are just moving the goal posts.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I don't know about the rhetoric of sedition or other violence by
honestly not picking into the rhetoric that deeply-- but I agree
with your position of crazy legislation can bring about crazy
push-back. This goulash coming to a head may be exactly where
Alex's meme of "blond haired, blue-eyed Al Q" could stick to the
wall. Scary indeed for those demanding separation, "church"/state.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie
Scary indeed for those demanding separation, "church"/state.

Just to be clear your opinion is Separation of Church and State is Good or Bad???

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

So you never really answered the question on why it wouldn't work.

Already answered. Businesses will not go out of business in those areas. Why is that hard for you to understand?

As far as the remote areas...why are you so concerned with places you do not live or are not apart of?

So you don't care about those places? How nice of you.

Maybe one day when you drive through those places and your car breaks down and they refuse to help you because of who you are, then maybe you'll care?
edit on 4/3/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I've been out of the loop for a few days, so please forgive me if this has been mentioned here, but...

The fact is that PRIOR to the RFRA in Indiana, their law didn't list "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" as protected groups, so the religious people were absolutely free to discriminate, by refusing public accommodations and they were also free to use both groups as a religious defense in a civil or criminal lawsuit.

Then, they passed this ridiculous RFRA law and received tons of backlash.

And now, to quell the uproar, they've amended the law to ADD "sexual orientation" AND "gender identity" as protected groups specifically for public accommodation.

So, religious people are NOT FREE to discriminate anymore. Not only that, they cannot use a person's orientation or identity as a civil or criminal defense, in a lawsuit. So, from the pious religious people's point of view, they're "worse off" than they were before this insane law came out!

Text of the Amendment

7 i, 2015]: Sec. 0.7. This chapter does not:
(I) authorize a provider to refuse to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or United States military service;

(2) establish a defense to a civil action or criminal prosecution for refusal by a provider to offer or provide services, facilities, use of public accommodations, goods, employment, or housing to any member or members of the general public on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or United States military service; or

(3) negate any rights available under the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

George Takei has endorsed the new bill and Family Research Council are pooping their drawers!!

Family Research Council (FRC) President Tony Perkins posted a statement on the organization's website.

"This new proposal guts the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and empowers the government to impose punishing fines on people for following their beliefs about marriage.
Source

This proves to me that the RFRA was brought into existence in Indiana for the express purpose of exerting conspicuous piety, righteousness and obnoxious disapproval and judgment over LGBT people. They HAD the legal right to discriminate and be safe from lawsuits, and now, because of their attempt to publicly shame gay people, they lost that right.

That's what you call poetic justice.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It is almost comical isn't it.

Now if the amendment isn't passed then any doubts of the original intent will be settled.

If SCOTUS would just hurry up and do what we know should be done this issue could die and we could move on to the next thing.

The amount of time, energy, and funds from some states fighting this has been a pitiful display of US stupidity.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Pence already signed it

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence has signed into law an amendment to "fix" the controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which has drawn the ire of LGBT advocates and business leaders nationwide for what they claim is a "license to discriminate."

The amendment, which passed the state House by a vote of 66-30 and the state Senate by a vote of 34-16, according to Indianapolis TV station WXIN, makes the law's only reference to sexual orientation or gender identity.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Good.

They can now expect to get business back that had planned to boycott them and now the LGBT community has precedence for protected class.

I know at least a few that had their hand in writing the original bill are kicking themselves over it unless this was just a pandering tactic that they can now wash their hands of.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Jesus got clobbered by dollar signs.

Really need a visual.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: derfreebie
Scary indeed for those demanding separation, "church"/state.

Just to be clear your opinion is Separation of Church and State is Good or Bad???

Vehemently GOOD! In fact I would include personal ideologies, spiritual
belief and any inordinate advantages of them. In other words, when
politics money and the church get together and 'deal' you get trouble.

Prime example of the latter: any tax breaks to a religious organization
calling itself non-profit... and take a look at the Vatican Bank.
I wonder in the long run if Constantine was a better politician than Pope.

top topics

<< 35  36  37   >>

join