It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial 'religious freedom' bill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
these homophobic business owners don't need to like them, touch them, smile at them, or agree with them....sell them the product, collect their money, and go about your business.....you don't get GAY INFECTIONS from being around them....geez, what a bunch of business owner wussies.....what do they do when they sit near a gay person in a restaurant? run out the door screaming GAY COOTIES!! GAY COOTIES!!

Gay cooties
That is priceless. And of course you are correct. But your business is your business and you must be allowed to run it as you wish. Otherwise...it isn't yours. And again, I have my own business and there is no one I won't serve with a smile.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Answer

But, the situation DIDN'T sort itself out before civil rights were enacted into law. Now, your proposing to remove the Civil Rights Act because a bunch of relgious nuts can't handle extending civil rights to gays.

Gay fear and bigotry is threatening to set America back to the good ole 1950s! Deja Vu all over again!

Oh bullshlt.

It's a different world now. People are becoming more open-minded and rational. There will always be a hold-out of bigots, racists, homophobes, and other morons who use religion to justify their hate. You can pass as many stupid-ass laws as you want and it's not going to change that fact.

Nothing is threatening to set America back to the 50's. That is a statement that displays your woeful ignorance of history and how much the world has changed since then.

You also twisted my words around to imply that I support these religious homophobic wackjobs. I don't. You and a couple other posters in this thread don't seem to understand that there are more than 2 ways to look at an issue. I can support reduction of government control over businesses without supporting the overall nature of this law (which I've already said I don't support).

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

You can't make a law that forces people to like other people.

Nope. But we can make laws that protect the right to equal treatment. They're called Civil Rights and Congress was so intent on forcing people to behave civilly that they wrote "The Civil Rights Act". Everyone in the USA is under its jurisdiction, except those who profess religion, now, because of hatred for gays.

the civil rights act is slowly being dismantled by the supreme court, the republican governors, and the republican congress.....dismantling and destruction of that, worker's rights, and much of Roosevelt's new deal policies back in the 30's and 40's, are what republicans are slowly trying to complete. the poor and middle class have earned too much money from the wealthy, and they want it back. they have done an excellent job in the last few decades of stopping prosperity from growing, and expanding, for the middle class and poor.
edit on 28-3-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Nope. But we can make laws that protect the right to equal treatment. They're called Civil Rights and Congress was so intent on forcing people to behave civilly that they wrote "The Civil Rights Act". Everyone in the USA is under its jurisdiction, except those who profess religion, now, because of hatred for gays.

Why do certain groups of people deserve to be a protected class and held to a different standard than others?

Civil rights are no longer about equality, they're about handling certain groups with kid-gloves so they don't get offended and sue someone based on "civil rights infringement."

If folks want equality, they should act like everyone else. They shouldn't expect special treatment because they belong to some group that has suffered discrimination in the past.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

the poor and middle class have earned too much money from the wealthy

WHAT?

The rich are richer and the poor are poorer now than they've ever been.

You sure make a lot of claims with no factual basis.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

the civil rights act is slowly being dismantled by the supreme court, the republican governors, and the republican congress.....dismantling and destruction of that, worker's rights, and much of Roosevelt's new deal policies back in the 30's and 40's, are what republicans are slowly trying to complete. the poor and middle class have earned too much money from the wealthy, and they want it back. they have done an excellent job in the last few decades of stopping prosperity from growing, and expanding, for the middle class and poor.

Respectfully...I see this completely differently. There is no need for these laws in a society that has outgrown them. Racism and segregation is gone and the vast majority is happy about that. We have grown and these laws are no longer needed. That is something to celebrate...not fear.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

If folks want equality, they should act like everyone else. They shouldn't expect special treatment because they belong to some group that has suffered discrimination in the past.

Let's force them "Indians" to go to White Man School.

Equal Rights is not about different cultures.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

And by the way...I had a conversation a while back with a black man who wanted these laws to STAY ON THE BOOKS. Not because he thought they were needed, but because (to paraphrase) "I want them stuck in the face of whitey on a daily basis as a reminder of what he did to us". Well...I don't need something stuck in my face that I wasn't alive to see let alone impose.

Don't be THAT guy!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Oh I get it now. You're one of those. Not equal rights...special rights. Another attitude that should have gone the way of the dinosaur long ago. Usually kept alive by people trying to support equal rights without understanding the definition of equal.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Racism and segregation is gone and the vast majority is happy about that. We have grown and these laws are no longer needed. That is something to celebrate...not fear.

Yah, racism is gone huh???

That's a nice little bubble you live in if you believe that. It's not gone at all it's simply been brushed aside and covered up with PC window dressing and wishful thinking.

You'd have to live in a hole in the ground to even begin to think racism is gone.
edit on 28-3-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Oh I get it now. You're one of those. Not equal rights...special rights. Another attitude that should have gone the way of the dinosaur long ago. Usually kept alive by people trying to support equal rights without understanding the definition of equal.

No, I think you're "one of those".

Where is the "Special Right" of being served equally by a business that serves the public.

edit on 28-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Civil rights are no longer about equality, they're about handling certain groups with kid-gloves so they don't get offended and sue someone based on "civil rights infringement."

Civil Rights are about equal treatment. It's sad that they needed to be amended to include sexual identity and gender roles, but they certainly ARE still needed.

Why do certain groups of people deserve to be a protected class and held to a different standard than others?

We continue to see people who think they're special and want special rights enacted by congress and state lawmakers to protect their so called religion and their bigoted practice to discriminate against those who are different.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

No, I think you're "one of those".

Where is the "Special Right" of being served equally by a business that serves the public.

hey hey...don't go all logical, it ruins their soundbites on attacking religious freedom.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

For folks to get equality, they need to be treated like everyone else. If you bake a wedding cake for a straight couple, you must bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. If you don't, the gay couple isn't being treated like everyone else, thus they aren't getting equal treatment.

link   

FACT: law allows religious belief to refuse a customer who is gay, or atheist, or . . .

FACT: law allows religious belief to refuse a customer who is dark skinned (Mark of Ham)

Your claim ---- a business has the right to refuse anyone for any reason. And the business will fail by its own actions.

My claim ---- white businesses did not fail or suffer by refusing to serve blacks.

My claim ---- businesses in the bible belt will not fail or suffer for refusing to serve gays.

It is the identical scenario.
Spot on. In the past, I would disagree, but I've changed my opinion the matter and don't support public businesses being allowed to discriminate against others based on their sexual orientation, race, gender, religion, and so on.

Sure, some will argue the tide is turning what with the recent gay marriage rulings but I believe that Equal Rights for gay people shouldn't operate on fixed schedule at the convenience of straight people.

edit on 28-3-2015 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

link   

Let the people decide what happens to a racist business owner. The situation will sort itself out just fine without giving more power to the government.

When the state gives you permission to do as you please, you will do as you please

Jim Crow - 2015 - what's the difference?

You seem to think the human race is enlightened now. The fact that this was signed into law is proof that we aren't

A serious boycott might do the trick, but people ranting about bigoted business owners online will accomplish nothing - anymore than ranting about problems here at ATS accomplishes anything meaningful

How were those racist laws changed Answer? I'll tell you. People bled for those changes. They died for change

You want the market to correct people's bad behavior. Because you think people should be free to treat each other badly

Should we be free to beat someone if we believe that person falls outside of God's grace?

Should we be able to stone them - if our religion tells us to?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

That's not at all what I meant but you seem to enjoy twisting my words.

My policy is "live and let live." Your policy seems to be "force everyone to get along." It's a facade that obviously isn't working because, as you've pointed out, racism still exists.

Establishing protected classes just further drives the wedge of bigotry.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Let the people decide what happens to a racist business owner. The situation will sort itself out just fine without giving more power to the government.

When the state gives you permission to do as you please, you will do as you please

Jim Crow - 2015 - what's the difference?

You seem to think the human race is enlightened now. The fact that this was signed into law is proof that we aren't

A serious boycott might do the trick, but people ranting about bigoted business owners online will accomplish nothing - anymore than ranting about problems here at ATS accomplishes anything meaningful

How were those racist laws changed Answer? I'll tell you. People bled for those changes. They died for change

You want the market to correct people's bad behavior. Because you think people should be free to treat each other badly

Should we be free to beat someone if we believe that person falls outside of God's grace?

Should we be able to stone them - if our religion tells us to?

You and Annee should stop making assumptions about me. I'm an atheist, genius. Just because I don't share your viewpoint does not mean I fit into some convenient box you use for people who oppose you. I'm not a conservative, I'm not religious, I'm not anti-gay, and I'm not racist. For fu@k's sake, my St. Patrick's Day was spent getting stoned and drunk with a group of 40 or so swingers... more than half of them were black. Why don't you two focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to label me because it won't work. I don't fit any mold you can possibly dream up.

I've said before in this thread that there will always be racists, bigots, homophobes, assholes, and incredibly stupid people. You can whine about it and pass as many laws as you want but it's not going to change anything. People are gradually becoming more open-minded and tolerant but you choose to focus on the dumbass fundamentalist Christians as your proof that nothing has changed since the 50's. It's an idiotic comparison.

Complaining about a racist or homophobic business on the internet can and does have huge effects. If the laws were changed to allow businesses to discriminate as much as they want, the bad ones would DEFINITELY suffer for it. I say let them show their true colors and we can get rid of them. As it stands, they behave because a law forces them to and they get to profit off of customers they hate.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

That's not at all what I meant but you seem to enjoy twisting my words.

My policy is "live and let live." Your policy seems to be "force everyone to get along." It's a facade that obviously isn't working because, as you've pointed out, racism still exists.

This is what you said:

If folks want equality, they should act like everyone else.

They shouldn't expect special treatment because they belong to some group that has suffered discrimination in the past.

Who is everyone else? You don't seem to understand just how prejudice that statement is.

The "Special Group" in this discussion is Religion. But, you don't seem to be able to comprehend that.

There is no "Special Group" in a business serving all customers equally.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You mean like creating the special class of "Religious Bigots" who are protected from having to abide by certain laws because how they choose to interpret the words written down in a book by some 2000 year old superstitious goat herders???

Those protected classes???

Yah, I hate those special groups too. Always complaining because they aren't allowed to special privileges to act in ways that nobody else is allowed to act.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join