It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial 'religious freedom' bill

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Of course the added bonus to this is that there are a lot of young people in Indiana and across the US who might have previously considered themselves to be Christian, but will now be deciding to distance themselves from that faith because of the hatred and ignorance so often expressed by the most religiously delusional.

This is a win-win-win for a lot of people in the long run.

The Republican party has been severely damaged by this, and will be for a long time to come (plenty of senior Repubs had already expressed public support for this law, then saw it blow up in their faces).
The Christian right-wing will see a considerable decline in their power and membership as a result of this farce, because it's become even more clear to those who might have been on the fence that they stand for bigotry and ignorance.
And, finally, this will likely lead to the Federal Government enacting a law to protect all LGBT citizens across the country from homophobia in employment, in commerce, government and education too.

All of this ultimately leads to the Christian right in the US being pushed back, and it's all because of their own ignorance and stupidity. A classic case of shooting yourself in the foot

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Now the big question is Is Indiana Gov. Mike Pence a homophobic, so bad that he needed a law to get back to homosexuals and the gay community?

I actually don't know if he's homophobic or not. I think, with marriage equality taking such huge strides this year, and the Supreme Court getting ready to rule on it, some religious people are freaking out.

Most likely (and this is my conspiratorial angle on the issue), Pence thought this would be a good political move and got one of his Christian lawyers to write up the law. The lawyer took some privileges and made some wording changes, to ensure that the religious. anti-gay lobbyists would be gleeful at the thought of legally turning gays out of restaurants, clothing stores, gas stations and grocery stores. But it wasn't until the backlash arrived that Pence got his lawyers to explain EXACTLY what the law said.

Now that he knows it DOES allow for flat-out legal discrimination, he's going to pretend to make "corrections" so everyone will get off his back... I doubt any change of substance will be made.
edit on 3/31/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Here's my point--I support your right to make your own choices in life and business without government coercion. I do not think that an abhorrent philosophy.

A military man not wanting "government coercion"? Isn't that the military's stock in trade? Good luck with that....

This discussion however is a discourse that needs to be addressed. STATE SPONSORED bigotry with the blessings of the Ultra Conservative Right Wing Christians.
Leading to what?.....a theocracy? no thanks!

So is Military coercion, a branch of the government, ok with you? See your disconnect...? Must take some fancy mental gymnastics to reconcile that question....
edit on 31-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Pence, a Republican, said the law he signed last week had been widely misconstrued and mischaracterized, but he said he was calling on the state's Republican-controlled General Assembly to send a new law to his desk this week to fix it.

If he believed the law had been misconstrued, why does he feel the need to "fix it". Seems to me the plonker is realising the potential loss of billions of dollars leaving his state.

Shame on him for getting into bed with the nutters at "The American Family Alliance"

Good find BH

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Now the big question is Is Indiana Gov. Mike Pence a homophobic, so bad that he needed a law to get back to homosexuals and the gay community?

I don't think he alienated just the gay community. He offended pretty much anyone gay straight whatever, simple citizens who don't want to see a return of bigotry and dehumanizing of a particular social group.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What society has ever existed that did not have "government intervention?"

When I hear words like these, it's like hearing "and then, I rode across the ocean on my mystical dolphin-unicorn and lived happily ever after."

In America 1600-present there has always been "government intervention."

There have always been laws in every society known to me. There has always been "government intervention" and for most of human history, and even in the wide-world today, a lot more violent, cruel, deadly intervention than we have in this country as a matter of course.

What do people have in mind when they refer to this fantasyland where there is no government, no laws, no rules, etc?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thanks girl, for the input, I was wondering what could possibly be behind such a controversial law, but is interesting to point out that even the religious community are now bashing this law.

This will affect businesses and companies all around because let face it, we are a very, various religious and socially diversified country and this can create a religious war regardless and let no talk about segregation.

What was that governor thinking., doesn't he knew that you can not give too much "freedom to people"

I been sarcastic.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

I don't think he alienated just the gay community. He offended pretty much anyone gay straight whatever, simple citizens who don't want to see a return of bigotry and dehumanizing of a particular social group.

He's not only a liar and closet-bigot ... he's a coward.

He has a red LED count-down in the corner of his screen now; it's only a matter of time.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
If he believed the law had been misconstrued, why does he feel the need to "fix it".

I honestly think he didn't understand this version of the law. Like SO many others, he is ignorant of the fact that it's different from the federal and other states' laws. Once the backlash kept growing, he decided he'd better find out what it actually does. Now that he's backed it over and over, he HAS to say that he still stands by it, but yeah, if he stands by it, why does it need to be changed?

He's a lying POS, IMO.

Seems to me the plonker is realising the potential loss of billions of dollars leaving his state.

Bottom line truth.
Arkansas and North Carolina, watch carefully. You're next!

S ource

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Saying you're against government coercion laws, then surely with that line of thought you'd be against this law as its also made by the state government?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Oh, but that is ok, he can get all those bigotry groups around the nation to come and invest in his state because they can discriminate at will under the religious freedom bill he signed.

Can you imagine what a haven for anti anything groups and hate groups.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

This is a State government "issue" ... so all the polarities reverse ... for some ridiculous reason. Guvment is good at the States' Rights level.

Now, in the real world, the local Sheriff and my State House are a heckuva lot more likely to intervene and interfere in my life personally than Mr. Obama and the Congress ... but that's just me.
edit on 11Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:44:51 -050015p112015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
What do people have in mind when they refer to this fantasyland where there is no government, no laws, no rules, etc?

Mad Max!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Yeah, or Somalia.

Look kinda similar don't they?

Jeez-louise.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Like SO many others, he is ignorant of the fact that it's different from the federal and other states' laws.

I'm actually starting to wonder if Conservatives have a real problem with comprehension of English. I keep seeing it on Twitter, incredibly ignorant people with #tcot in their comments claiming this law is entirely innocuous and perfectly legitimate.

Of course, I should also point out that the majority of these people also happen to look as though they either grew up in a trailer, or in the 1950's, probably dated their sister, and spend their weekends cutting eye holes in pillow cases.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

this morning he gave a press conference, and said dozens of times that this was a "misrepresentation" of the law.....written words in an enacted law, are words that are legal and binding, governor...funny how the CEO's of all these businesses and organizations are too stupid to understand the language in the bill...I guess he was the one that didn't understand that these people aren't "hoosier stupid"

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I agree with your points. What folk who say this is ok and businesses should have the right to discriminate do not understand, is if you live in the "Bible Belt" as a gay person, you'd be ostracised by the whole community. Saying "take your business elsewhere" would mean moving to a state more tolerant.

I spent three months in Georgia US, and was Flabbergasted at the obvious racism I saw. Places like this will become places totally intolerant to everyone who is not a white, rep, Christian. This is the worst case scenario if these kinds of laws are introduced. The U.S. will become divided as it was in the American Revolution when these same US States wanted the right to keep slaves!

Perhaps it's to much sun and its frying their brains??

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Like SO many others, he is ignorant of the fact that it's different from the federal and other states' laws.

I'm actually starting to wonder if Conservatives have a real problem with comprehension of English. I keep seeing it on Twitter, incredibly ignorant people with #tcot in their comments claiming this law is entirely innocuous and perfectly legitimate.

Of course, I should also point out that the majority of these people also happen to look as though they either grew up in a trailer, or in the 1950's, probably dated their sister, and spend their weekends cutting eye holes in pillow cases.

Pence and his republican right-wing bigots in the legislature, knew exactly what they were putting in this bill.....they are now just lying their ass off, while trying to cover it at the same time.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I find local goverment much more undemocratic and bureaucratic than main goverment. Far to many "Jobsworths" being little dictators. I'd prefer central goverment only with a local representative to represent the local community.

It would save billions in running costs!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

hehe

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join