It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial 'religious freedom' bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Variable
a reply to: kevinp2300

Honestly, if a person like the florist (wherever that was) doesn't want to do the flowers for a gay weeding why the hell should she be forced to. I don't understand how you can force a business to do something they don't want to. If you hate black people why cant you put a sign out that says "No blacks allowed." If you hate guys in turtlenecks why cant you just put out a sign that says " Turtlenecks are Verboten" or "No fat chicks."

I wish our fascist government would allow us all the freedom to choose, but they seem hell bent on pushing what they want onto us. Consequently, we have to laws to protect your right to things like the OP is about. I personally like gays, blacks and fat chicks just fine (but i put my foot down on turtlenecks) and if a store wouldn't allow them inside, then i wouldn't go in either. That is what freedom is about, some people will have the freedom to be asshats.

V

No, that is not "what freedom is about"
True freedom, in THIS country, is about affording the right to pursue happiness to everyone- not catering to the discriminatory whims of some.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MrPlow

How can the florist pursue happiness if she is forced to partake in acts that are sacrilegious by the state or made to lose her home and her livelihood in punishment?

The only right to pursue happiness in that case is the one afforded to the gays.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A person's pursuit of happiness cannot legally infringe on another's.

Otherwise, murders could walk by simply stating they killed in pursuit of happiness.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

No ones right to pursue happiness should supersede any one else's IMO.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
These people need to be taught a lesson. As stated this law will probably be declared unconstitutional at some point and be repealed. But until then wouldn’t it be fun if there was some organization against this attitude of “I am absolutely correct and this is the way it will be.”

Any way what I am thinking is there needs to be some big money guys who organize against those who do discriminate. I’m sure there won’t be that many and they will be small operations. The plan would be that anyone doing this, and it wouldn’t be hard to find out who this is because they would be sure to be proud of it and let everybody know, would have a competing business set up right next door funded by the big guys. This competing business would of course sell below cost and drive the schmuck out of business. The real payoff would be when the discriminating business owner saw that all his close buddies at church are shopping at the new guy’s store because of the low prices, and have left him spinning in the wind with only his moral convictions for solace during his time of foreclosure and bankruptcy.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemyBecause it is a law designed to affect only a certain segment of the population. That in and of itself is illegal and unconstitutional, just as federal legislation originally passed to punish acorn. A law cannot be established that specifically targets a segment of society and holds them to a different standard.

Secondly you have the government passing legislation that essentially enforces religious doctrine, which is also a constitutional violation.

Third you have -

The 9th circuit striking down proposition 8 as unconstitutional.
Judge Granade in Alabama striking down their gay marriage legislation.
Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge

4th and most importantly -
A private business does not have to have any reasons to deny service to anyone.

Creating a law that specifically targets a segment of the population based on religious grounds is unconstitutional.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
One wonders what would happen if you had legal prostitution and a lesbian solicited a straight girl for sex what would happen ... would she have to perform or could she turn the lesbian down because she's straight? Would that be discrimination?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

If a guy asks a girl at the bar to go home with him and she is not drunk enough to say yes and walks away from him is she discriminating against him?

the hypotheticals serve as nothing more than proof that these types of laws are so moronically stupid that only people who want to apply their own religious standards on those who are not a part of the same religion in an effort to judge others while feeling morally superior doing it are the only ones who see sense in this senseless law.

Ironic - religion being used to judge and discriminate while creating hatred for fellow man / woman kind. Everything religion is supposedly against.

I wonder if we could pass a law in Indiana outlawing religion since it foments hatred and violence against others.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
At what point did the individuals who support bills like this read through their Bible and decide, "I believe this Jesus fellow would like for me to turn others away."?

I could never quite understand why it always seems the most fervent believers are usually the least compassionate and accepting of others.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock
At what point did the individuals who support bills like this read through their Bible and decide, "I believe this Jesus fellow would like for me to turn others away."?

I could never quite understand why it always seems the most fervent believers are usually the least compassionate and accepting of others.

not to mention that the Bible states only God can judge.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

Businesses are not people, they don't have the same rights and should have to cater to anyone who can afford their services (think of it as a trade-off for being allowed to operate in the USA economy.)

I have to call BS on this. As a business-owner, I should have the right to refuse business to anyone I choose. The market will deal with business-owners who make a habit of being assholes.

The problem is with assholes. If there were fewer assholes in the world, we wouldn't be having discussions like this.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

Maintaining a lifestyle of religious fundamentalism requires a high level of close-mindedness.

edit on 3/27/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Maintaining a lifestyle of religious fundamentalism requires a high level of close-mindedness.

Maybe straight people should stop having gay kids?

I want religion to explain why they think they have a monopoly on God while also justifying why they think they can enforce their religious doctrine on individuals who are not a part of their religion.

A lot of people call them fundamentalists / extremists. They are in essence engaging in the same behavior as that of ISIS.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: msallo
a reply to: kevinp2300

i dont get why gays are so hell bent on supporting businesses that dont like them

just move on..grow a pair

and why are guys like you so frightened of gays?...afraid you might enjoy what they do to each other? gay people don't give a damn if a business "likes" them....they come into a business to pay money for a service or product, that's it...just like all other customers do....you are the ones that need to "grow a pair".......I wish a state would pass a law that gave the right to businesses, to not serve dumb-ass ignorant republican conservatives.....the problem with that law is that in some states, stores would go broke from the lack of business.....

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
"This bill is not about discrimination" I'm calling BS on this one. Slippery slope....

geez.....get a dictionary and look up discrimination!!!....it is EXACTLY what this is about. did you make it passed 6th grade in school?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Businesses are not people, they don't have the same rights and should have to cater to anyone who can afford their services (think of it as a trade-off for being allowed to operate in the USA economy.)

I have to call BS on this. As a business-owner, I should have the right to refuse business to anyone I choose. The market will deal with business-owners who make a habit of being assholes.

The problem is with assholes. If there were fewer assholes in the world, we wouldn't be having discussions like this.

not if it's because of a dislike for gay people....or black people....or brown people.....or evangelists....or right-wing rednecks, etc.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: MrPlow

How can the florist pursue happiness if she is forced to partake in acts that are sacrilegious by the state or made to lose her home and her livelihood in punishment?

The only right to pursue happiness in that case is the one afforded to the gays.

show me in the bible where god says you can't sell something to gay people?....you religious people make this crap up.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

not if it's because of a dislike for gay people....or black people....or brown people.....or evangelists....or right-wing rednecks, etc.

Actually, even for those reasons I should be able to deny service.

The simple fact is: no one HAS to do business with these people and, as I pointed out, when everyone realizes that the owner is an asshole they'll boycott the establishment and the business will fail.

I'd much rather see these bigots go broke and lose their livelihood than be forced to do business with people they hate. What do you think will happen to the quality of service when a homophobe is forced to help a gay couple?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

A lot of people call them fundamentalists / extremists. They are in essence engaging in the same behavior as that of ISIS.

I agree. Ironically, the idiots are scared to death that sharia law is coming to the U.S. while they promote their own version of religious law.

"My god's laws is better than their god's laws, der hurp!"

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Actually, even for those reasons I should be able to deny service.

The simple fact is: no one HAS to do business with these people and, as I pointed out, when everyone realizes that the owner is an asshole they'll boycott the establishment and the business will fail.

I'd much rather see these bigots go broke and lose their livelihood than be forced to do business with people they hate. What do you think will happen to the quality of service when a homophobe is forced to help a gay couple?

yes they do have to do business with them, it's the law. look, if a person can't stand to have anyone other than straight white-Anglo-Saxon customers to do business with.....than go find another way of making money......
edit on 28-3-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join