It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signs controversial 'religious freedom' bill

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

If I am going to accept your assumption that just because you never experienced (and I am grateful you never had to) -- you would logically have to accept that your position is a miniscule subset of information and that there are those who feel contrary to what you have experienced no?

I mean, I grew up in some of the worst neighbor hoods in Southern California. I can tell you I was a minority and being of the wrong color can make you uncomfortable. Going into the barber -- not being able to get the hair cut you want because they don't cut your hair that way -- the leering glances as you try to get a smoothie...wondering if its safe to go three houses down to your friend?

See what I mean?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: xuenchen

Maybe some businesses are concerned about flash-mobs disrupting the flow of commerce.

What if a group of Muslims wanted to make a point about a restaurant serving pork and alcohol?

Do you have any examples of that?

If I did, I wouldn't be asking the question.

You seem confused and jilted.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

So, after 22 years or so, the States are just suddenly scripting RFRA-esque laws into place? It has nothing to do with the fact that marriage equality is becoming the law of the land?

C'mon.

I'm not going to get into the public/private business with you as it's off-topic, but there have always been legal constraints on "doing business as you see fit" and there always will be. One of those is public accommodation, another, in some jurisdictions is legal protection for groups that are commonly and recognizably discriminated AGAINST UNFAIRLY.

I'm sure you could make the 'ad absurdum' argument if you wish and if you are careful in your development of it. However, it is not mere discrimination at question here but UNFAIR DISCRIMINATION or INEQUITABLE TREATMENT.

As well as the basic nature of the contract that the business owner holds out to the public. They are allowed to charge fair, declared prices (their offer) and the customer may in turn bargain or contract (by making payment). Meeting of the minds and we're done.

If you want to make that absurdist argument though, feel free. I'd actually be interested to see how you develop it.
edit on 22Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:43:01 -050015p102015366 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No she is not confused.

You brought up a hypothetical question about Muslims which have nothing to do with this topic. Muslims have and will not ever do such thing.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I'm for limited government as well but not at the expense of racism, discrimination and bigotry displayed in Indiana and many other states...especially on BS religious grounds.

Don't these discussions kind of prove anti-discrimination still has to be forced by law?

And what/who's been the main focus these last few years?

edit on 30-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Maybe some businesses are concerned about flash-mobs disrupting the flow of commerce.

What if a group of Muslims wanted to make a point about a restaurant serving pork and alcohol?

You made my point.

And no, I am not confused. Not sure what the jilted means.
edit on 30-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Show me some evidence for gay people who have felt uncomfortable in establishments simply because they were "straight" businesses and we'll see.

As it is, in terms of real world numbers, I'm still one up on you even with my "minuscule" example.

I agree that racial discrimination is often more overt than against gays/lesbians/et. al.

I find that disgusting and abominable as a note for the record.

Perhaps it's easier for me to "pass" as straight than it would be to change my race?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

See what I mean?

I see what you mean. Fortunately this doesn't happen much anymore as it is 2015. I know some people still do that in the Bible belts but that's rare. I've lived in the Bible belts before and I have not seen that happen much.

Lots of people are enlightened today (at least I hope so? LOL)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Hey, while you're here, you have no comment on the dishonesty of the article you posted earlier?

You know, stating that the laws in Connecticut are identical to the law in Indiana?

I thought you'd like to correct your comment.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
20 pages.

Hmmph.

You know, we wouldn't need laws like this if people simply respected others religious convictions.

So an artificial belief system trumps treating people like you would any other normal human being???

What happened to basic humanity???

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
1. How will proprietors in Indiana make sure that their customers are acceptable to their religious beliefs?

2. If they don't make some effort to exclude all customers whose lifestyles might conflict with their religious beliefs, and only choose a few customers ... then it becomes a case of unfair discrimination, opening the door to Federal civil rights litigation if nothing else.

3. And again, so long as the money is green and straight ... why does a business owner care about the "sin status" of their customers?

link   

originally posted by: ownbestenemy
I can tell you I was a minority and being of the wrong color can make you uncomfortable.

I just want to point out - - I would not go into a White ghetto, but there are plenty of predominately black neighborhoods I would be fine with.

IMO - - its has more to do with culture then skin color.

link   

Perhaps it's easier for me to "pass" as straight than it would be to change my race?

I don't know........those are some pretty flaming wings you got going on, there.

link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Annee

Why not respect someone's religious beliefs?

Because it may not be worthy of respect. Why can't I simply be neutral about it???

I don't respect Scientology or Satanism either and why should I have to???

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

LOL ... aren't they though.

(I can change the colors when I shape-shift into human form. LOL)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Why not start an LGBT church and fight this law head on by using it against them

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: magnesiumbones

LOL!!! LGBT church. Oh gosh I would love to see that!

Let LGBT business owners discriminate anyone because of their religious beliefs and see how that works!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnesiumbones
Why not start an LGBT church and fight this law head on by using it against them

For my part, because using religion to discriminate against any one is despicable no matter who does it.

YMMV.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnesiumbones

Why should LGBT give up the faith(s) they were raised in?

There are plenty of LGBT Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc etc etc

Not all Christians are anti-LGBT.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

What happened to basic humanity???

Similar to the same question I asked.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join