It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

"Grubby" Tory plot to oust Commons speaker Fails

page: 1

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
The plot proposed by soon to be ex Tory MP William Hague but no doubt originated by "call me Dave" over at No 10 is seen as an attempt by the Tory Bully Boys to get rid of John Bercow who has dared on more than one occasion to slap down Cameron in the Commons chamber , most memorably last year in this little exchange.

The "grubby" plot accusation comes from some fellow Tory MPs who think Hague's proposal for a secret ballot on the future of the speaker was an underhanded and cynical plot to remove Bercow from the chair , the proposal was defeated by a margin of 228 to 202 , with one Tory MP saying he was "played for a fool" by ministers over the issue.

A visibly moved John Bercow in the Commons today , his look over to the Tory benches says more than any words.

William Hague wanted a secret ballot to decide the Speaker's future after the election but Labour and some Tory MPs said it was a "grubby" plot.
They accused the Commons leader of springing the motion on MPs in the final hours of the current Parliament, before it breaks up for the general election.
In extraordinary scenes, MPs hurled abuse at Mr Hague for allegedly conspiring with Prime Minister David Cameron to oust Mr Bercow, who is unpopular with much of the Tory leadership.

In extraordinary scenes in the Commons, MP after MP rose to attack William Hague on the final day of his parliamentary career for a “grubby”, “squalid” and “nauseous” plot to unseat John Bercow.
Other MPs lined up to attack Mr Hague and Mr Gove – who looked chastened – as their motion was defeated by 228 to 202.

Afterwards, one Tory MP questioned how both men had been so inept to bring forward a controversial motion without ensuring they had the votes to get it passed. Even David Cameron, who was not due to attend, was called back to vote as the Government realised it was on the verge of losing.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Conservative MP for North East Somerset, said he was deeply saddened that Mr Hague “had put his name to a bit of parliamentary jiggery-pokery that has come about from some grudges that people bear to the Speaker”.

I have no love for politicians even less so for Tories , more especially this bunch of over privileged bully boys ...Roll on may 8th.

edit on 26-3-2015 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:47 PM
The term "pusillanimous gits" comes to mind when I hear of such cowardly and backhanded dealings as is so commonly put forth by the Tories. At least there are enough sensible heads in Parliament to have this farcical attempt at a putsch thrown out.

Let's hope "sensible heads" also prevail in the upcoming elections.

edit on 3/26/2015 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
I can't wait to see Cameron squirm is way around this tonight. That is if he hasn't made a deal whereby they are not allowed to mention it.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:09 PM
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

That's a good point , I wasn't going to watch the watered down debate tonight but hopefully someone will bring it up

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:26 PM
a reply to: gortex

It looks like they are accepting previously selected questions from the audience, to give them time for their speech writers to come up with a response. Expect to hear some new and old piecemeal all the way through, without actually answering any of the questions.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:43 PM
Not a fan of Bercow, as an ex Tory with a history...

But I despise none more so than William Hague and no doubt an Aye voter in Theresa May...

There is none falser than the above two...

What cowardly representatives we have here...

Good on the "Nos"...

Good luck to Bercow, hopefully this shifts him left a little...

A central speaker would be dandy!

edit on 26-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)