It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Training jets over Lake Geneva

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I am ignorant of any military technology and only an interested civilian observer, and as such, I would never know if something is 'interesting' or not.

Jet engines are fairly well known these days. Everyone knows what they sound like. However, yesterday I saw two training jets flying over Lake Geneva in Switzerland. The noise they made was strange, not like jets at all, but more like sewing machines or lawn mower engines revving at high speed. If they had been old propeller planes, I would not really have been surprised at all at this kind of a sound coming from them, but I could clearly see them as jets flying above the lake and then off into the mountains.

Since then I have heard a couple of other military jets flying over the lake which sounded like normal jet-engine sounds. I suppose this could have been some kind of sound distortion possibly caused by the water or environment but then I would have expected to hear normal jet-sounds as they flew off further towards the mountains.

I was wondering if they were training to use scramjets or some other newer technology? Any ideas?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: qmantooI am ignorant of any military technology and only an interested civilian observer, and as such, I would never know if something is 'interesting' or not.

Jet engines are fairly well known these days. Everyone knows what they sound like. However, yesterday I saw two training jets flying over Lake Geneva in Switzerland. The noise they made was strange, not like jets at all, but more like sewing machines or lawn mower engines revving at high speed. If they had been old propeller planes, I would not really have been surprised at all at this kind of a sound coming from them, but I could clearly see them as jets flying above the lake and then off into the mountains.

Since then I have heard a couple of other military jets flying over the lake which sounded like normal jet-engine sounds. I suppose this could have been some kind of sound distortion possibly caused by the water or environment but then I would have expected to hear normal jet-sounds as they flew off further towards the mountains.

I was wondering if they were training to use scramjets or some other newer technology? Any ideas?

It could be the jets hitting the blue-note.

edit on thpamThu, 26 Mar 2015 09:38:53 -0500k1503America/Chicago2638 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
this blue note seems to be as they pass over or pass by the listener, but this sound was being made all the time.

Actually, they came over again just now and it sounded more like a F1 racing car whine than either of the things I described previously. Like the blue note you mentioned but all the time not just as they pass overhead. I dunno, I may be wondering about nothing but normally jets sound like jet aircraft. Just wondered if anyone else had had a similar kind of experience or if it was anything unusual, otherwise I will forget it.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

take a video if they pass by again. What makes you think they are jets?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

Do you mean they might be spitfires or tornados in disguise? I thought we had moved on from propeller driven aircraft after WWII. These are painted in training red/orange and go at the speed of jets up the lake.

The sound does not travel far so I only hear them a short distance away and by the time I get outside they have gone past. I dont think a video is likely unless I sit outside all day with a camcorder in my hand.

I also know they are not helicopters too or flying racing cars.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I love that sound, but it is nothing new to jets, it came from about day one of their first flights. However, only typically of short duration as a critical angle between ear and jet as the aircraft passes by. He seemed to hearing that noise as a continual engine noise.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: qmantoo

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

Do you mean they might be spitfires or tornados in disguise? I thought we had moved on from propeller driven aircraft after WWII. These are painted in training red/orange and go at the speed of jets up the lake.

The sound does not travel far so I only hear them a short distance away and by the time I get outside they have gone past. I dont think a video is likely unless I sit outside all day with a camcorder in my hand.

I also know they are not helicopters too or flying racing cars.

You will have witnessed Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21s. They have a propeller but that is driven by a jet turbine engine. It is known as a turboprop. Turboprops make a distinctive sound.

Wiki Pilatus PC-21 link

Wiki Turboprop link

Image of Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

You will have witnessed Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21s. They have a propeller but that is driven by a jet turbine engine. It is known as a turboprop. Turboprops make a distinctive sound.

Yes ! that is most likely what I saw.
Thank you. Case closed!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: qmantoo

Yes ! that is most likely what I saw.
Thank you. Case closed!

No problem. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The PC-21 is a neat little plane. Fugly though.

top topics

join