It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Florida police officers out after racist text messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

(CNN)Three Florida police officers were fired and a fourth resigned after exchanging a series of racially offensive text messages and a video that portrayed President Barack Obama in a derogatory way, Fort Lauderdale police said.

Jason Holding, James Wells and Christopher Sousa were terminated after a five-month internal affairs investigation found sustained department misconduct, conduct unbecoming of a police officer and engaging in "conduct prejudicial to the good of the order of the police department."

A fourth officer, Alex Alvarez, resigned but authorities said Friday that he would have been fired had he not done so.

In the text message exchanges, the former officers used racially derogatory terms to refer to people they encountered while on duty, included racially insensitive material from the film, "Django Unchained," and talked about getting drunk and "killing n*****," according to investigative documents.

The men allegedly criticized co-workers, including African-Americans, making crude comments about their grammar, appearance and work ethic. One message referred to an entire shift as "lazy f****," the documents state.
edition.cnn.com...

Sigh!! this is getting so old I am beginning to get numb stop the planet I wanna get off..

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Apparently they didn't get the memo that we're all being watched....and read....and listened to. Yay that they're gone because we don't need cops or anyone else for that matter with those attitudes, but who was monitoring their text messages? And why? Were they on private devices? Why did the cops think this behavior was ok? Too many questions.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Apparently they didn't get the memo that we're all being watched....and read....and listened to. Yay that they're gone because we don't need cops or anyone else for that matter with those attitudes, but who was monitoring their text messages? And why? Were they on private devices? Why did the cops think this behavior was ok? Too many questions.

Ah donno Stout but I suspect that it was a mixture of both, what may have happened someone told or showed someone who ratted them out, idiots are blissfully unaware that big brother is the new normal..reference the idiot Oklahoma frat boys,someone ratted them out.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Good! It's crooks like this that engender mistrust of our police. I myself don't trust ANY revenue generator, and it's mainly reasons like this

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yeah, this BS is really disgusting and apparently it's at least somewhat commonplace in police depts. across America.

Questions; Where do these displaced police officers go after being exposed? Two states over to fill a vacant law enforcement position? (Possibly vacated for the very same reason?)

Does their record follow them or are we playing another game of "Wack-A-Mole?"

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Sadly it's a case of Whack-A-Mole, just check darren Wilson's history, or the Rambo who murde...er, defended himself from John Crawford. This stuff p***es me off.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Picture this... A group of cops has a conversation about how they're all being made out to be blood thirsty racists who are roaming the streets looking for unarmed black people to kill.

They later exchange text messages making fun of the way they are portrayed. Where's the harm in that?

And why were their cellphones confiscated in the first place? I didn't realize text conversations were considered official police business these days.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ok I'm sure some are going to flame me for saying this.
I don't mean to be offensive here.....
But if these messages were sent out of work time & on private not police phones why is it anyones business?
Are people not allowed to reflect on their daily lives anymore & amongst like minded workmates?
I'm not condoning what they said but I do think that people should be allowed to express their true feelings about things (work in this case), amongst like minded friends/colleagues.
Maybe the Police had to repond because Obummer was ridiculed in their messages.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm glad the right thing was done. Racism should not be tolerated in a public servant. Good on the department for letting these bigots go.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: supamoto

Well, even if that's the case, if those are their true feelings then they need to be removed from the job anyway. They worked in a neighborhood that was predominantly black.

Further, when you have the power to hand out tickets, put people in jail, end people's lives, you need to be held to a higher standard, so yes, if they're racist it certainly makes a difference. If these were just some guys who worked at Pizza Hut and this got out they would probably be fired, simply because it would be bad for PR, and just about the worst they could do would be to do something nasty to your food.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: supamoto
Ok I'm sure some are going to flame me for saying this.
I don't mean to be offensive here.....
But if these messages were sent out of work time & on private not police phones why is it anyones business?
Are people not allowed to reflect on their daily lives anymore & amongst like minded workmates?
I'm not condoning what they said but I do think that people should be allowed to express their true feelings about things (work in this case), amongst like minded friends/colleagues.
Maybe the Police had to repond because Obummer was ridiculed in their messages.

it's their work positions that they hold, that makes the difference. they are not auto mechanics or store owners, they carry a badge and a loaded gun, both of those granting the user legal authority, and legal equipment, to kill someone. the fact that it seems like you are giving them a pass, makes me question your critical-thinking ability.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
For every racist, brutal, corrupt LEO that is outed?....

How many do you think are still on the job?

disheartening thought eh?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish

Well, even if that's the case, if those are their true feelings then they need to be removed from the job anyway. They worked in a neighborhood that was predominantly black.

Further, when you have the power to hand out tickets, put people in jail, end people's lives, you need to be held to a higher standard, so yes, if they're racist it certainly makes a difference. If these were just some guys who worked at Pizza Hut and this got out they would probably be fired, simply because it would be bad for PR, and just about the worst they could do would be to do something nasty to your food.

So...they're racists. From what I understand its accepted that all white people are racists...so that being the case, why do they have white cops working a predominately black neighborhood?

In the big city I used to live in, they long ago solved this problem. They early retired the whole police department and then lowered the standards for being a cop and replaced the formerly largely white police force with black and Hispanic cops. Then they assigned the black cops to the black neighborhoods and the white neighborhoods and the Hispanic cops to the Hispanic neighborhoods. They haven't had any problems with this arrangement, except of course the crime rate went up and the response times doubled. But we haven't heard any complaints.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It's a much better idea to just get rid of the racists. As far as all white people being racist...huh? No.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

originally posted by: Pimpish

So...they're racists. From what I understand its accepted that all white people are racists...so that being the case, why do they have white cops working a predominately black neighborhood?

In the big city I used to live in, they long ago solved this problem. They early retired the whole police department and then lowered the standards for being a cop and replaced the formerly largely white police force with black and Hispanic cops. Then they assigned the black cops to the black neighborhoods and the white neighborhoods and the Hispanic cops to the Hispanic neighborhoods. They haven't had any problems with this arrangement, except of course the crime rate went up and the response times doubled. But we haven't heard any complaints.

Tony 5, I think what you said was horsesh!!t where was this and when so we can look-up prior and post stats.

top topics

join