It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Define Time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
We as humans, have a rather unique perspective on time. Because we have a linear existence, we tend to have a fairly simple grasp on past, present, and future.

However, if you were to make contact with a non-corporeal non-linear life form, and were asked to define time, how would you describe or define time? Remember, this lifeform has no knowledge of past, present or future. No understanding of preceding, or following. No concept of a unit of measurement in regard to time. Also remember, this lifeform is sentient. It has intelligence. It has only the basic means to communicate through a spoken language.

How would you define time?

The way you described it would work.

The being is sentient, intelligent and can appreciate a different perception of time, without having to first have experienced it in the same way we do.

Just as we can appreciate this beings perception of time, with past, present, and future all accessible to the being, we might not imagine it absolutely correctly, as we don't have an experiential appreciation for living that way, but we do have imaginations and can imagine what a life that includes access to time in a non-linear way, just as our being could imagine what a life under linear time might be like.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
There are 2 kinds of time. One is what man measures and the second one is the universes own time that makes the universe tick the way it does.
a reply to: EternalSolace

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Time...Stops everything happening at once

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

To a non-linear lifeform, I would think it would be hard to grasp that change. What comes before now or what is to come, is no different than now to them. An existence with out change perhaps?

A non-linear existence and no ability to grasp change would make it impossible for us to communicate in any way. There would be no way for my information to go from myself to it without being linear. Without the ability to process that information, knowing how to assemble it from start to finish, I wouldn't be able to answer.

Without linear processing or existence without change neither Time nor Space could ever be explained to it. Time and Space only make sense because we can understand or witness some kind of change. No change means existence would be completely static or dead.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
One moment changing to the next.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Time isn't one thing its synchronous interaction of forces which are conforming to motional events, and changes in density.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Ummm...I define time as each moment is a separate transverse universe and one merely progresses from universe moment to another universe moment along an infinite set of universes...like a movie reels long train of individual snap shots...one only experiences movement and transition by the pull of consciousness from one universe slice to another...

It's a really smooth transition...although there are hiccups along the way where two different "shows" interact...thus the paranormal...and dejavu...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Time is the passage of events we witness. It wouldn't exist without us marking it with clocks.

Time to get up, go to work, fire retros on the Jupiter probe.

I prefer day time, night time and time to go…

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
A medievil view is time is waves on the ocean, different directions, different frequencies, the fundamental frequencies being measured by the changes in tides, and seasons.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Time is merely the movement of matter in the universe.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Maybe something like this: Your walk to the park from your house is seen, by the sentient being, in its entirety- all at once. Time would be like a snapshot of you somewhere along that walk.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Great answers. Let's throw a new twist. Let's say this non-linear entity is immortal. No beginning or end. Would time still be an understandable concept?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

How about, "The Measurable State of Change between a Cause and Effect Event".

To a non-linear lifeform, I would think it would be hard to grasp that change. What comes before now or what is to come, is no different than now to them. An existence with out change perhaps?

first, we would have to specify exactly how a "non-linear lifeform" experiences the passage of time.

i dont think anyone here is prepared to do anymore than speculate on that front.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Great answers. Let's throw a new twist. Let's say this non-linear entity is immortal. No beginning or end. Would time still be an understandable concept?

by what basis would we even be able to speculate at such a thing?

there is no foundation for even a rudimentary understanding of what such an entity could and could not understand.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Time - an illusionary measurement designed to measure mankind's mortality .

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: here4this
Time - an illusionary measurement designed to measure mankind's mortality .

does the clock still tick if no one is around to watch it?
edit on 26-3-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm
Is the cat dead or alive...
Does a tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear , make sound ?
Is light a wave or a particle?
Just sayin...

edit on 26-3-2015 by here4this because: Add one more

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: here4this
Is the cat dead or alive...
Does a tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear , make sound ?
Is light a wave or a particle?
Just sayin...

my point is that you are subject to time, not the cause of it. even if your perception of it ceases, the river will flow long after your last breath.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I could show them a clock with hands moving on it and say the appearance is moving. I would say, you are not moving but the appearance is, and this gives rise to the idea called time but it is just the appearance changing.
The idea of time is a construct in which separate worlds seems to appear called 'past time' and 'future time'. In the pretend construct of time I can pretend to be in control, I can pretend to be God or at least try to control the past and future.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

If no being is around , does it make a difference ? Does the Sun , Earth , Moon care ? Does the Universe ? I think not

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join