It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

WSJ Report Implies That Google Leveraged Lobbying to Kill Antitrust Abuse Probe.

page: 1

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:34 PM

Did Google get away with corporate crime? The evidence is intriguing, but lacks any sort of smoking gun A report in the Wall Street Journal last week cited internal U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) documents which reveal that investigators with the FTC felt that there was a clear cut case that Google Inc. (GOOG) violated federal antitrust laws. But in the end the probe was abruptly tossed aside and Google was allowed to "voluntarily" modify its business practices.

I am going to be following this story. It seems elites can buy influence in congress to manipulate the system and leverage lobbying to protect corporate profits. Not terribly surprising but still coming from a reputable source it is news worth a discussion.

edit on 03pm2015-03-25T21:38:26-05:0009383America/Chicago38331 by machineintelligence because: spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:40 PM
a reply to: machineintelligence

I've always teasingly said that the "g"s in Google stand for "global governance". Perhaps so?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:47 PM

So,the government dropped the case so google wouldn't make a fuss about handing over all the info the government asked for on......whoever they want.

Quid pro quo. Business and government win. We lose.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:32 PM

Google employees average one White House meeting per week under Obama

WASHINGTON – As the federal government was wrapping up its antitrust investigation of Google, company executives had a flurry of meetings with top officials at the White House and Federal Trade Commission, the agency running the probe.

Google co-founder Larry Page met with FTC officials to discuss settlement talks, according to visitor logs and emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt met with Pete Rouse, a senior adviser to President Barack Obama, in the White House.

FULL Article:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:46 PM
My theory is that this whole Goog vs gov show is just that. You know not much gets thrown to the msm without a pre-planned outcome.

I would almost bet on them being the same entity. A commercial intellegence gathering arm.

It's like when the google maps GPS tracking software with moving maps came out, well beyond anything else around, such as Garmin.

Nothing is free, and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:08 PM
a reply to: Mandroid7

I am always reminding folks that if a useful service, or software is free then you; the user are what is being sold. Information about what you do with the service, or software is what is being marketed. Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:13 PM

Two sets of laws. Those with power and connections... and the rest.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:17 PM

originally posted by: machineintelligence
a reply to: Mandroid7

I am always reminding folks that if a useful service, or software is free then you; the user are what is being sold. Information about what you do with the service, or software is what is being marketed. Enjoy. is getting to an insane point.

I keep having to re-read the privacy terms and conditions, for fear they may hide in the fine print clauses like:

"Agreeing to use Google means you agree to donate your organs at our discretion."

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:40 AM
This reminded me of an article I read in Fortune today regarding Facebook launching a version of its Parse mobile development software for the Internet-of-things. It seems they’ve joined their partners in crime Apple, Google and Samsung working on the ultimate invasion of privacy platform.

A goal of IoT (Internet-of-Things) is to eventually imbed a network interface and microprocessor into most home appliances, thus providing connectivity between these appliances and other IP (Internet Protocol) enabled devices in our homes, i.e. our PC's/laptops/etc and, of course, the Internet. In other words, everything in our home will be capable of talking to everything else, making our personal activities/behavior trackable and wide open as a target by any interested party on the Internet. Our private lives will become an open book. Those folks out there concerned about privacy issuess should be really nervous about the IoT. And if privacy invasion isn’t bad enough, the double whamee is our PC's/smart phones monitor will turn into an annoying, obnoxious advertising billboard.

What Facebook is doing now is competing to provide a cloud backend for the Internet-of-things. What kills me is that while everyone is screaming about the government prying into their personal lives, Google and the Boys are busy developing the ultimate spy engine. Kind of funny in a way, but you hardly ever hear a whimper from anyone about the real culprits (Facebook, Apple, Samsung, Google, etc.) who are frantically working on documenting, analyzing, profiling and storing everything about us on their servers. I’d be willing to bet Google knows more about me than I do.

I guess we’re basically f---ed...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:46 AM

So, there probably isn't any connection between Google's weekly meetings at the white house and the enactment of the takeover of the internet by the FCC under direct orders from the executive branch.
edit on 26-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:14 AM
Keep in mind the people at GOOGLE helped write the Net Neutrality stuff....

Just saying....everyone that was for it, because you know "Monopolies" and "fairness"

....again keep in mind these guys had a major hand in this thing...

Im sure everything will be fine....

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:49 PM
a reply to: greencmp

You know this reminds me of the old adage about government and economic policy: "If it moves Tax it. If it keeps moving Regulate it. If it stops moving Subsidize it."

new topics

top topics