It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Afghani President....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I know nothing about this guy beyond his speech to Congress.

Off the top, he certainly has a better grip on western political schmoozing. He hit the right buttons with Congress and has won general approval from both sides of the house.

Just a more adept politician than we're used to from the Middle East? Perhaps. Yet a politically aware leader also suggests he might have an understanding of where the line is in disaffecting the U.S. support his predecessor ignored.

Perhaps he's even a good guy? Not impossible.

I'd guess he's as much a pragmatist as anything, considering Afghanistan's dire situation. He has an Unpredictable Putin on one side, a Pakistan that views Afghanistan as their province in some fashion.

Isis and al Qaeda to deal with on top the Taliban. Then throw in iran's vision of a renewed Persian empire and that leaves the U.S.!

Despite all the U.S.'s flip-flopping and goof-ups, it looks like Afghanistan's future survival rests on U.S. support and much as any other factor.
We've seen Jordan's request for intel on Isis as well as Egypt's request for U.S. support denied by Obama.

If they can hold on until the next presidential election, perhaps a more reliable response will be forthcoming from the U.S..

Again, I know nothing about this man.

Anyone have more background, good or bad, about him? Off the top, he looks a lot better than that turkey in Turkey, for example...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Was there any objections from Obama?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I hate to say it, but the last Afghani leader was so two faced it was a joke. He'd say the complete opposite of what he told US officials one day later, get quoted in the paper and just shrug it off like that's normal in politics.

Of course he can't be worse than Karzi!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

LOL. Good point. Apparently not. The White House has delayed the troop withdrawals from Afghanistan. Don't know if the was a quid pro quo or not..

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Makes sense.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Again, I know nothing about this man.

Neither does Obama, he doesn`t even know his name.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

On second thought, Karzai was a major reason I stopped supporting the war in Afghanistan. His brother was apparently in the drug trade, the ROEs got tougher and tougher. Bush gave in to State instead of letting defense finish the issue.

I doubt the delay of troop withdrawal will change their role of training the locals...at least until Obama is gone.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Not surprising. His attention is wholly on appeasing Iran in the hopes of an agreement for his "legacy".....

top topics

join