It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out of Cockpit Before Crash in France

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddnutz

what would be the odds of one pilot quietly succumbing or being incapacitated due to a medical problem while the other pilot is outside of the cockpit?

i wonder if anyones ever calculated whether airliners or people are more likely to suffer catastrophic mechanical failure?

it does seem a bit odd if it's standard procedure to have another crew member in the cockpit in these circumstances - perhaps you might do it now and again if the crew were busy, but it adds another level of improbability to the situation - unless it was routinely ignored

deliberate seems more likely to me at the moment - hopefully the other black box will resolve it

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: aynock

At least three instances I linked there was one pilot out of the cockpit, without another crew member in there. That would be an airline specific rule, not an industry rule.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hey zap, what would any pilot's first instinct be one in charge of hundreds of lives and having a medical problem?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

If it was something that didn't immediately incapacitate them, let the other pilot know so he can get them on the ground.
edit on 3/25/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

We will find out soon enough that it was terrorism.....

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Not engage autopilot?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Generally, the rule in the U.S. is that when one of the two pilots leaves the cockpit, a flight attendant must join the remaining pilot in the locked cabin until the other pilot returns.

I don't know if this is true for German aircraft.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Is there not a code lock on the door?

Reading description elsewhere that said A320 door has three functions, Unlock, Normal and Lock.

Unlock was cockpit side lever,
Normal allowed code access with 30 sec delay.
Lock disabled code entry for 20 minutes.

Unlock overrode Lock if done from cockpit.

Any comments? Is this info bogus?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

That would be an airline specific rule, not an industry rule.

if it's not a rule on germanwings at the moment you can bet it soon will be

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

At that point in the flight it's usually already engaged.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I cant say terrorism because of the 8 min glide slope. I think the other pilot became incapacitated. At point here, is the failure of the mechanism that operates the cabin door.

link   

Fair enough, but I'm going to wait until I hear more background information on the copilot.

link   

I'm not ruling suicide out. Just saying that there are other reasons for what happened.
edit on 3/25/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21
Wow this really puts a whole new spin on this one. I had a suspicion that this would turn out to be more sinister than many would suspect. The way it never lost speed but did lose altitude and did not respond to calls from control. The world of flying just got a whole lot scarier.

If this is a health issue which some will allude to then I hope we hear the entire medical history of these pilots soon

He probably went for a pee, then because of all the extra security, forgot the combination . While the remaining pilot has a heart attack. Another case of pilot error.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

When one of the pilots leaves the cockpit to use the lav, a FA will go into the cockpit to lock and unlock the door because the remaining pilot is not allowed to leave their seat for any reason. Most cockpit doors are to far away from the pilot’s seat and cannot be opened or locked while they are seated.

Before the pilot who left the cockpit can re-enter the cockpit, I have seen them call the cockpit on the intercom to confirm possibly using a secret codeword that they are returning to the cockpit and have the FA open the door.

www.airliners.net...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

You know this raises another point, if this airline had the 2 in the cockpit policy, then potentially you have 2 suspects (if this was a deliberate act of course) in the Filght Attendant and the pilot.
edit on -180002015-03-25T21:34:04-05:000000000431201504032015Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:34:04 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Sure there could be other reasons. But the pilot not in the cockpit, for me that just sticks around like a hair in a biscuit.

link   
There's more they're not telling us. If there wasn't more, they would want to nip any talk of terrorism in the bud especially for the family members.

It sounds like the one Pilot went to the bathroom. First question,

Did he go to the bathroom and was there any discussion about grabbing a flight attendant? Did the Pilot that was left in the cockpit encourage the other Pilot to go to the bathroom and he will just lock the door?

Did the other Pilot say anything or indicate any distress?

Like I said, I think there's more to it because why not just kill the story in order to protect the family?

At the end of the day, it could be a freak accident. The Pilot goes to the bathroom, the other Pilot says I will just lock the door, the Pilot leaves and after he locks the door he has a stroke or heart attack.

link   

I think most of us are really hoping it wasn't a suicide. The report of the NTSB official saying it is clear from what is heard on it to be able to say what happened doesn't bode too well though.

link   

At least three times between 2013 and the start of this year a pilot left the cockpit without a FA in there and was locked out. At least once in the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join