It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bowe Bergdahl, once missing U.S. soldier, charged with desertion

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: crazyewok

If he's found guilty...put him in Gitmo; Ironic Obamaesque justice.

If he is found guilty then good idea.

If he ran off to join terrorists jail him with terrorists.

Good idea. But, by the time the trial is over, Obama will have released all the terrorists.

You mean all those people in Guantanamo who have been there for over a decade without trial or any real proof that most of them did anything more wrong than being in the wrong place at the wrong time - as has been proven with many cases already?

I mean like the five Taliban commanders, Obama actually traded for Bergdahl.

The Taliban Five at Guantanamo

Mullah Mohammad Fazl (Taliban army chief of staff): Fazl is “wanted by the UN for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiites.” Fazl “was associated with terrorist groups currently opposing U.S. and Coalition forces including al Qaeda, Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG), and an Anti-Coalition Militia group known as Harakat-i-Inqilab-i-Islami.” In addition to being one of the Taliban’s most experienced military commanders, Fazl worked closely with a top al Qaeda commander named Abdul Hadi al Iraqi, who headed al Qaeda’s main fighting unit in Afghanistan prior to 9/11 and is currently detained at Guantanamo.

Mullah Norullah Noori (senior Taliban military commander): Like Fazl, Noori is “wanted by the United Nations (UN) for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiite Muslims.” Beginning in the mid-1990s, Noori “fought alongside al Qaeda as a Taliban military general, against the Northern alliance.” He continued to work closely with al Qaeda in the years that followed.

Abdul Haq Wasiq (Taliban deputy minister of intelligence): Wasiq arranged for al Qaeda members to provide crucial intelligence training prior to 9/11. The training was headed by Hamza Zubayr, an al Qaeda instructor who was killed during the same September 2002 raid that netted Ramzi Binalshibh, the point man for the 9/11 operation. Wasiq “was central to the Taliban's efforts to form alliances with other Islamic fundamentalist groups to fight alongside the Taliban against U.S. and Coalition forces after the 11 September 2001 attacks,” according to a leaked JTF-GTMO threat assessment.

Khairullah Khairkhwa (Taliban governor of the Herat province and former interior minister): Khairkhwa was the governor of Afghanistan’s westernmost province prior to 9/11. In that capacity, he executed sensitive missions for Mullah Omar, including helping to broker a secret deal with the Iranians. For much of the pre-9/11 period, Iran and the Taliban were bitter foes. But a Taliban delegation that included Kharikhwa helped secure Iran’s support for the Taliban’s efforts against the American-led coalition in late 2001. JTF-GTMO found that Khairkhwa was likely a major drug trafficker and deeply in bed with al Qaeda. He allegedly oversaw one of Osama bin Laden’s training facilities in Herat.

Mohammed Nabi (senior Taliban figure and security official): Nabi “was a senior Taliban official who served in multiple leadership roles.” Nabi “had strong operational ties to Anti-Coalition Militia (ACM) groups including al Qaeda, the Taliban, the Haqqani Network, and the Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (HIG), some of whom remain active in ACM activities.” Intelligence cited in the JTF-GTMO files indicates that Nabi held weekly meetings with al Qaeda operatives to coordinate attacks against U.S.-led forces.

www.weeklystandard.com...
edit on 25-3-2015 by IAMTAT because: comment and links added

edit on 25-3-2015 by IAMTAT because: comment added

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
People should keep in mind that this, while unusual, is probably not that uncommon.

Bergdahl only is in the spotlight because Obama put him there.

Levenworth is full of Bergdahls.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Your wiki link shows that they still have the right but just have it reduced.

a reply to: macman

Ask away, I see you still refuse to answer any of my questions so you would be wasting your time.

But I'll ask again to keep this all in context.

Did he or did he not have a right to trail before he was pronounced guilty?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Your wiki link shows that they still have the right but just have it reduced.

It's not the same right and that severely restricted by UCMJ speech rights does indeed have higher authority over US military than the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

If a soldier violates the UCMJ, but then points to the Constitution and says 'but the Constitution allows it' ... he will lose his case.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I am happy, that you are happy for me.

But...can you truly be happy for me, being happy about me being happy?

I am happy that I can provide everyone here a window into the mind of someone that thinks they know what's best for others.
Can you be happy about me being happy about that?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Been waiting to hear these words for too long. It's about damn time!

(post by IamAbeliever removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

In the military court sure, now if they push it far enough I think that is where it would get tricky.

But my entire point of even bringing the correlation up was in regards to a right to a trial.

Would you say the UCMJ could prevent a person from ever going to trial and being charged with something?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
He's an embarrassment. The Obama Admin really dropped the pooch on that one.

Good god. You said a mouthful.

Dropped it, saluted it, but forgot to buy the pooch dinner ...

Geez louise.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

In the military court sure, now if they push it far enough I think that is where it would get tricky.

Supreme Court upholds the UCMJ. It was in the link I provided.

Would you say the UCMJ could prevent a person from ever going to trial and being charged with something?

I'd have to check. But this Bergdahl person gets a trial. No question.
This isn't a battlefield situation. Innocent until proven guilty.
Even though he has already admitted his guilt, he gets a UCMJ trial.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Here, let me answer it for you.

Macman, "Does the Military member on active duty have the Right to Bear Arms"?

No Macman, he/she does not. They are not allowed to carry personal firearms while on active duty.

Great. Now lets go down the list.
Does the Military service member while actively serving, if their job is the media, have the Right to an open and free press?

No, the military dictates where that member can go and what they report on.

And now, what about quartering of soldiers. If the active duty service member pitches a tent, can or can't the senior member order them to "house" a member of the military?

Yes, a senior person can. But, what about on base housing?

Well, that is a great question. Base housing offers no privacy, or Right to Privacy as the Military owns the house.
Same goes for the 4th. Once you enter onto a Base, you give up your right in regards to the 4th.
Same also goes for when the CO or command orders you off to participate in a wiz quiz.

But, you skipped over the 5th.

I just didn't address it yet.
I'm just gona leave this right here, check out the bolded part, ya know, about the whole military thing and all.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger

Now, that wasn't so hard, now was it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Question to Military scholars here:

Can't Obama just pardon Bergdahl when he leaves office?
IMO, if he can...he probably will.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
*gads*

I hate doing this, because it might appear like I'm defending Obama, I'll need a shower after this post but here goes. . . .

How many times did we swap traitors and typical scum for soviets during the cold war?

I'm guessing alot more than Bergdahl and the 5 butt-clowns from tally-ban.

(running to the shower. . . eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke
I for one shall abide my oft-repeated maxim "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". Wonder how many "Christians" are wishing ill on this young man? Just curious, since everyone here seems to have already brought the rope...

perfectly logical...
there's 5 Muslims walking free they cant lynch anymore.

funny how the same people demanding this guys blood
will consistently give the politicians, the real traitors, terrorists and mass murderers, especially of children, a free pass, as the master class can seemingly do no wrong in their eyes. [face the man indeed [rolls eyes]]

kissingers words regarding soldiers come to mind...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Question to Military scholars here:

Can't Obama just pardon Bergdahl when he leaves office?
IMO, if he can...he probably will.

I would hope that one bone-headed play would be enough for the Administration on this one ... surely not.

Surely.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
*gads*

I hate doing this, because it might appear like I'm defending Obama, I'll need a shower after this post but here goes. . . .

How many times did we swap traitors and typical scum for soviets during the cold war?

I'm guessing alot more than Bergdahl and the 5 butt-clowns from tally-ban.

(running to the shower. . . eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

We didn't strut around in front of the cameras and have press conferences with their parents and proclaim them to be honorable soldiers who served with distinction did we?

Cause those vermin Obama and Rice did that.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Yes reduced rights, but they still have them.

Never disagreed with you on that.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I'm of the belief he needs tried for treason... but at least they have finally decided to charge him with something anyway... but to stand trial for treason and providing support to a terrorist organization is more like what needs to happen - and until he stands trial for all that, then justice will not have been served.
edit on 25-3-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
ATTENTION:

THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD IS NOT EACH OTHER!

Please limit the debate to the topic and the topic only. This will be the only warning.

Do not reply to this post.

Blaine91555
Forum Moderator

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I hope he rots in whatever prison he is sent to. His desertion allowed for real killers to be released. Screw this guy...send him back to where he deserted from.

Not only that but he risked many other lives to try to get him as well. I say if you desert, you deserve to get what's coming. This isn't a child's game....there are no "take backs".

I'm surprised Obama didn't try to have them sweep this under the rug. Ugh!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join