It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bowe Bergdahl, once missing U.S. soldier, charged with desertion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

The UCMJ does not supersede the Bill of Rights by any means though.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I dooooo love the assumptions.

I do need to do such things. Just hand him over to the guys he walked out on. I am sure they can take care of the situation.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke
I for one shall abide my oft-repeated maxim "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". Wonder how many "Christians" are wishing ill on this young man? Just curious, since everyone here seems to have already brought the rope...

He admitted to desertion. We know he did that, and by doing so, others were put in danger trying to bring him back. For that, he deserves to be punished and harshly.

As for treason? That I don't see we have any proof of. For that, we have to know that he actively tried to harm the interests of the country through his actions.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Well, I'm ashamed that he's American too.

link   
I think the only real question the courts have to determine is how much info he gave up. He willingly joined the enemy and was kept alive for a long time by an enemy that kills those they capture in a gruesome manner normally. So, what was it that kept an admitted deserter alive for so long? Information on his own forces is my bet...and that is treason.

link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

So, military members have freedom of speech while serving???

Noooooooo.

Military members do not have the Rights while serving that are set for citizens.

The UCMJ is the governing body/law for Military members.

link   

But what if Obama simply order the military brass to drop charges against Bergdahl? Obama allowed Jihadis to go free, he'll do the same to Bergdahl.
edit on 25-3-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Attempting to join the Taliban while they were in active combat against US troops is treason any way you slice it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Unless they thought he would be useful in other ways ... like as a bargaining chip or anti-propaganda piece. These aren't ISIS. Their bar for letting a prisoner survive is different.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Basically all I am seeing in this thread is a bunch of hard-asses moaning about one of their soldiers, who woke up on the battlefield and decided enough was enough and that he was fighting a war that was wrong, getting to come home and face a trial for desertion. Apparently he deserves to die in horrible ways, according to many posters on this thread, without a trial and because he "dared" to have an individual thought.

It's disgusting, hypocritical garbage that I am reading. Why, however, am I not surprised?

edit on 25/3/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: abe froman

Did he? I forgot about that.

link   

Fun fact : I can admit I was the man on the Grassy Knoll, that I faked the moon landing and that I am the Walrus all day long, but until a court of law proves beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of my peers, all it really means is I am making claims. That's why a trial or court martial is so very very important. He could be making this claim to garner sympathy, cover for another, or receive "punishment" for self-perceived wrongs. That's why I'm bending to benefit of the doubt. Let's let it play out...I'm almost positive there';s going to be a surprise or two.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal
Though I'm sure he would love to do just that (or use a Presidential Pardon after conviction) his handlers at Dem party headquarters won't let him with the upcoming election.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Sorry, but if you sign up to serve, you sign away certain things the rest of us take for granted. Among those is your right to have an original thought. That's why we respect those who are willing to make that sacrifice.

We are able to have original thought because many give up their rights to defend that ability.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The point is that the UCMJ can in no way trump the bill of rights.
We all know the constitution is the highest form of law in the USA, nothing is above it
So yes, by the letter of the law they do have their free speech but we all know that isn't how it goes.

Military members absolutely have the same rights as citizens when push comes to shove.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Oh well, case done then eh? Lets take the bastard out back and shoot him? Who needs a trial eh?

Despicable. Just despicable.

link   

The fact the he joined an organization that was known to violate human rights makes him no better than the neocons such as George Bush and Dick Cheney.

link   

IIRC that is all just hearsay about what his motives were.

Could be wrong though.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Because you are putting words into other people's mouths to support your own narrative. Your naivete regarding the serious danger to human lives this traitor caused is unnerving. Not just the lives of his brothers in arms out searching for him, but all the innocent lives that will be ended through the release of 5 brutal murderers.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
there is going to be a announcement from the pentagon / army in about 20 mins, about the charges.
from the talking heads, "bergdahl has been cooperative with investigators for the past nine months". so that tells me that other than what was gathered at the time of his desertion from other soldiers, witness that saw him, that he supplied most of the evidence that was used to decide if charges are to be brought.

waiting to see what the pentagon / army has to say

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join