It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA cop charged with homicide after she shoots man, 59, laying face down on the ground

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ettenurb
a reply to: opethPA

Ironhawke never claimed to trust all civilians. What are you trying to add to the discussion about the 59 year old PA man who was shot in the back during an arrest?

I would guess the exact same thing that Ironhawkes various pots about the OP have added.
Oh wait..it's the ATS Cop Hater forum.. If I don't come with a pitchfork for the police then posting isn't allowed..
My bad..on with the lynching.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I've searched for a tazer mounted camera (and stun gun camera), all I was able to find was this:

www.taser.com...

TAZER being the company name.

So was it the body mounted $399 camera or the $599 eyeglass mounted version?

Also found this:

en.wikipedia.org...

Taser Probe removal safety issues

1) Taser Probes (also known as Taser Darts) qualify as a "Sharp" according to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) definition of "Sharps".[117] This is important because the proper removal and treatment of a sharp is an OSHA issue in the US.[117]

2) If an individual receives a "needlestick" during the Taser dart removal, or if an individual is exposed to bloodborne diseases during the removal, the incident is called an "exposure incident".[118] The individual subject to the exposure incident may have or have not contracted bloodborne diseases while removing the Taser dart or while having the Taser dart removed. Extensive testing is the next step in the process. This can be an expensive and stressful event. Possible bloodborne diseases that may be contracted include HIV, hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), and other bloodborne pathogens".[118] Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is also a bloodborne pathogen.[119]

3) Current methods of removal: OSHA does not give clear guidance as to how to remove the probes, the guidelines only state that the removal must be done safely. Current methods of Taser Darts include removing the probes by hand, removing the probe with pliers or similar tools, or using the D.A.R.T. Pro and X-TRACTOR TIP Removal System made by Global Pathogen Solutions. When handling contaminated sharps OSHA guidelines should always be followed. Special precautions should be taken when a Taser dart is being removed from sensitive areas.[120]

4) Disposal issues: Proper disposal of the contaminated darts includes placing the probes into a puncture resistant, leak-proof container.[117]

5) OSHA requirements and the Bloodborne Pathogen Protocols should be followed when removing a Taser probe.[121] The removal process may also be addressed in an Exposure Control Plan in order to increase Taser probe removal safety.[121]

Police Officers, being part of a union, would have this OSHA training, regarding the use of a stun gun. This makes me question the article even more regarding the claim that the officer tried to remove the "darts" on scene, by herself, without handcuffing the suspect.
edit on 25-3-2015 by Ettenurb because: more info

edit on 25-3-2015 by Ettenurb because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I've searched for a tazer mounted camera (and stun gun camera), all I was able to find was this:

www.taser.com...

TAZER being the company name.

So was it the body mounted $399 camera or the $599 eyeglass mounted version?

Also found this:

en.wikipedia.org...

Taser Probe removal safety issues

1) Taser Probes (also known as Taser Darts) qualify as a "Sharp" according to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) definition of "Sharps".[117] This is important because the proper removal and treatment of a sharp is an OSHA issue in the US.[117]

2) If an individual receives a "needlestick" during the Taser dart removal, or if an individual is exposed to bloodborne diseases during the removal, the incident is called an "exposure incident".[118] The individual subject to the exposure incident may have or have not contracted bloodborne diseases while removing the Taser dart or while having the Taser dart removed. Extensive testing is the next step in the process. This can be an expensive and stressful event. Possible bloodborne diseases that may be contracted include HIV, hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), and other bloodborne pathogens".[118] Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is also a bloodborne pathogen.[119]

3) Current methods of removal: OSHA does not give clear guidance as to how to remove the probes, the guidelines only state that the removal must be done safely. Current methods of Taser Darts include removing the probes by hand, removing the probe with pliers or similar tools, or using the D.A.R.T. Pro and X-TRACTOR TIP Removal System made by Global Pathogen Solutions. When handling contaminated sharps OSHA guidelines should always be followed. Special precautions should be taken when a Taser dart is being removed from sensitive areas.[120]

4) Disposal issues: Proper disposal of the contaminated darts includes placing the probes into a puncture resistant, leak-proof container.[117]

5) OSHA requirements and the Bloodborne Pathogen Protocols should be followed when removing a Taser probe.[121] The removal process may also be addressed in an Exposure Control Plan in order to increase Taser probe removal safety.[121]

Police Officers, being part of a union, would have this OSHA training, regarding the use of a stun gun. This makes me question the article even more regarding the claim that the officer tried to remove the "darts" on scene, by herself, without handcuffing the suspect.

My guess is, in order to remove them, she'd have to have the blue gloves on to avoid possible blood contamination. Especially given he was a needle drug addict.

My sister had a neighbor who was hooked on methadone and he shot a guy he claimed was trying to steal his drugs with a shotgun. Blew a massive hole right in his foot. We found him hiding on my sister's back porch and began applying first aid while calling 911. I applied pressure, and because of an open sore on my hand, and the contact of his blood, I had to be tested for HIV and HEP C. My family told me I was "overreacting". My doctor told me I was being very smart, especially considering we don't know this guy's medical history.

I will admit, I'm surprised OSHA allows cops to be exposed to blood by allowing them to remove Tazer prongs this way and not EMTs who are more capable medically to deal with this.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I applied pressure, and because of an open sore on my hand, and the contact of his blood, I had to be tested for HIV and HEP C. My family told me I was "overreacting".

In every OSHA training I've had, blood borne pathogens are always covered in the curriculum. You were not overreacting, it's no joke.

I will admit, I'm surprised OSHA allows cops to be exposed to blood by allowing them to remove Tazer prongs this way and not EMTs who are more capable medically to deal with this.

Police officers are given PPE (personal protective equipment) to deal with these situations. They have latex gloves that are thicker than normal medical latex gloves, thus being more puncture resistant.

www.safecare-gloves.com...

The red flag that is just screaming at me is, "Why did she try to remove the darts with out first subduing (handcuffing) the suspect???

This story/article just stinks. Too many holes. I guess I will have to wait until they release the "TAZER" video to make my own observations of what truly happened.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I applied pressure, and because of an open sore on my hand, and the contact of his blood, I had to be tested for HIV and HEP C. My family told me I was "overreacting".

In every OSHA training I've had, blood borne pathogens are always covered in the curriculum. You were not overreacting, it's no joke.

Police officers are given PPE (personal protective equipment) to deal with these situations. They have latex gloves that are thicker than normal medical latex gloves, thus being more puncture resistant.

www.safecare-gloves.com...

The red flag that is just screaming at me is, "Why did she try to remove the darts with out first subduing (handcuffing) the suspect???

This story/article just stinks. Too many holes. I guess I will have to wait until they release the "TAZER" video to make my own observations of what truly happened.

Yeah that kind of surprised me as well. (The removing of the barbs before cuffing.) I guess that only proves we don't hire some cops for their intelligence. Someone in my apartment building was telling me, that she was apparently holding a gun in one hand, and the stun gun in the other. I doubt that though, because if that were the case, how would she expect to take the barbs out with no hands?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, John Crawford..please, tell me precisely when I should start trusting cops?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke

Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, John Crawford..please, tell me precisely when I should start trusting cops?

somehow, I don't think he was referring to those lynchings...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Just my conspiracy mind working here, but, what if......... This is all a big Psy-Op by the gov and its to make the police force dumb, and dangerous with lower standards, and bigger guns to get us to hate them and revolt against them for all the crap they pull. Then the gov steps in and says that the police can't cut it anymore, so we have to implement martial law. Anyone think this is possible?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The officer is a 15 year veteran. The victim did have drug addiction issues. With the exception of attempting to flee on foot, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of aggression.

Here from www.mcall.com...:

The stun gun recorded portions of the encounter, and District Attorney Ed Marsico called it the strongest evidence in the case.

He said it appeared Kassick had been trying to remove stun-gun probes from his back.

"At the time Officer Mearkle fires both rounds from her pistol, the video clearly depicts Kassick lying on the snow covered lawn with his face toward the ground," according to the arrest affidavit. "Furthermore, at the time the rounds are fired nothing can be seen in either of Kassick's hands, nor does he point or direct anything toward Officer Mearkle."

Marsico said Mearkle waited 4 seconds between the first and second shots, and afterward performed CPR. He called the shooting "a tragedy for all involved."

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

If an armed citizen saw this cop do what she did, he/whe would be justified in shooting the cop.

I carry...I wonder how I would react if I ever encountered something like this. All logic would tell me that I didn't know the whole story and to let the courts decide, but damn. Of course, even if justified, someone who shot a cop would go through hell.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

I'm actually from the area in Lebanon Pa which is 15 min east of Hummelstown, Believe it or not there is support for the officer in the area.

Why should there not be? She has not been convicted. I don't know, something about innocent until proven guilty, some s*** like that. Just like you Liberals cry about when repeat offenders are arrested for the same crime again,- but they are innocent until proven guilty so everyone should stop saying they did it.

Why would she intentionally my murder someone she was actively trying to remove taser probes from? Seems to me if she wanted to MURDER someone like all you hypocrites are saying- she didn't have to use the taser and would have just shot him.
edit on 27-3-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Please by all means don't trust them. Something tells me you live a sheltered life. So when your house is robbed, car is stolen or your wife raped, please do us all a favor and don't call the cops. They'll probably just sprinkle crack in your robbed house, put a stolen gun in your truck and charge you with it and accuse your wife of prostitution. You don't need that kind of stress in your life.
edit on 27-3-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: lordcomac

If an armed citizen saw this cop do what she did, he/whe would be justified in shooting the cop.

I carry...I wonder how I would react if I ever encountered something like this. All logic would tell me that I didn't know the whole story and to let the courts decide, but damn. Of course, even if justified, someone who shot a cop would go through hell.

Wow.....- do you get off on fantasizing shooting a cop after he just shot a suspect?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

There's just too many cases of police using deadly force against unarmed civilians. I always thought they had video training when and when not to fire their weapons.

You know the videos where the police officer is standing in front of a movie screen and a little old lady reaches into her jacket and pulls out a wallet. The police officer is supposed to constrain himself from firing his or her weapons until he is absolutely sure it's a gun. Just because this guy puts his hand in his pocket, doesn't mean he's going to pull out a gun! If the cop does not visually see a gun, they shouldn't be firing their weapons.

I understand it's a split second decision, but in this case, the guy was face down on the pavement! He would have to roll over first before getting off a shot.

Ignorant statement award of the year goes to........

In the time it takes a cop to identify a gun and draw their weapon and fire they can already have been shot several times. And if you truly think that you have to face your target to be able to simply pull the trigger, you are even more lost than I thought.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

a reply to: highfromphoenix

not saying they shouldn't be armed. I am saying that EVERY. LAST. ONE. should have mandatory psych evals and the jocks with ssues weeded out before ANOTHER kid is killed because Officer McFriendly "feared for his life." And please, cease to use pejoratives in reference to me.

Same approach taken for everyone right since we have no way of knowing who a criminal is? Mandatory psych evals and the jocks with issues weeded out before another victim gets robbed , raped or murdered.

Anyone who walks around in public armed with a firearm should have to undergo a psych evaluation....especially those charged with protecting the masses from crime and criminals

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

a reply to: Ironhawke

The news is poorly written (or written with an agenda). DA's, Judges, and LEO's are capable of corruption. Citizens who do not live in the imaginary safe world depicted in commercials, by-and-large do not trust the police.

Body cams, body cams, body cams...one on each shoulder, both with wide angle lenses and a microphone. Activated everytime an officer exits their car, and cannot be disabled by the officer. We have this tech available, we need to demand this as CITIZENS!!!

Wow, just wow......

I have no words.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix it's cool to hate cops.

they themselves make it increasingly easy to do so.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258
Wow.....- do you get off on fantasizing shooting a cop after he just shot a suspect?

Don't be an absurd jackass--if you've ever read my comments on these types of threads (and I make no assumptions that you have), I'm generally the one having to be the voice of dissention and reason by defending the decision making of an LEO. But this is indefensible criminal homicide, and just like with any other human being, the law states that you can defend both yourself and others from a deadly threat.

I dont' "get off on fantasizing [about] shooting" any living creature, especially human beings. But I do carry a gun for protection, and if I was ever witness to an LEO shooting someone in the back as they lie on the ground, I'd certainly be concerned about my own safety at that point.

But don't make ignorant assumptions about me--you don't know me, nor my morals, and implying that you do just makes you look immature and childish.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join