It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminists request use of "jazz hands" rather than clapping to avoid triggering "anxiety" [OP UPD

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Crowds and noise trigger me....so I avoid them. I don't go to a crowded, noisy place and start making demands. I am disabled. And as a disabled person I can safely say that it's ridiculous for people with disabilities of this nature to go to a crowded, noisy place then start making demands about how people act.

Now if they were in wheelchairs and requested wheelchair access, that's a different story.

If they were going to work and made a reasonable request of their employer, THAT's another story. But even that isn't a given. The last time I tried to work, I requested a more tolerable position- that happened to be open. They hired someone new for that position. Then they got mad at me when I had to quit. It was my right to request it. It was their right to ignore my request. It was my right to quit. Again, this is an employer/employee relationship not a voluntary meeting.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
As a female who suffers from severe PTSD to the point of not being able to work and rarely leaving my house- OP you are totally right. It's MY responsibility to deal with my issue, not force the world to bow to my every whim. I avoid crowded and noisy places. I don't seek out crowded and noisy places and try to demand everyone disperse and be extra quiet so as not to upset me.

I am in every way equal to men, by definition a true feminist. Beeyatches like this give the rest of us a bad name and widen the gap between the sexes, not mend it.

No one is asking the world to do jazz hands. It was one meeting. The participants made a request that would allow them to still fully participate despite their condition. Anyone with a disability/illness/mental condition etc has the right to make these requests. We have laws to promote and protect this.
The 'beeyatches' are simply trying to fully participate in a meeting. Thete is no indication that they are bad, horrible feminists giving you a bad name. Thats your own sweeping judgement.

yea it always starts as one meeting, then it sets a precedence. Everyone with anxiety will soon realize they too can be accommodated, then the media catches on to some thread of outrage over a place using applause in the presence of a victim, and next thing you know a wave of corniness sweeps the nation.

Just say no to Jazz hands. please. for the sake of humanity.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
When will clapping become a "hate crime"?

I'd add an "lol" but I can see the possibility.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Respect for the dignity of persons with disabilities is the key to preventing and removing barriers. This includes respect for the self-worth, individuality, privacy, confidentiality, comfort and autonomy of persons with disabilities.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Respect for the dignity of persons with disabilities is the key to preventing and removing barriers. This includes respect for the self-worth, individuality, privacy, confidentiality, comfort and autonomy of persons with disabilities.

Or they could just come in after the applause.

If the alternative is Jazz hands, I'm fine with letting them suffer. There would be no bigger blow to my self esteem, and dignity, than coming into a room full of jazz hands. If I was so low that people genuinely believed Jazz hands would make me better, I'd prefer suicide. There is nothing comforting about Jazz hands.
edit on 03am10am312015-03-26T10:40:22-05:0010America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

I understand your statments in your last post. I myself take medication for mild anxiety (which doesn't seem mild to me.)

I understand the complexities that Disabled Americans often face in the workplace, and have worked for years in my own business to minmize those challenges.

My specific question to you, however, was based off your statement that these folks at this private function made a request of some of their members, etc. etc. etc. How is that "forcing the world to bow to their will"?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

When one small demographic starts demanding special treatment it breeds dissension in the ranks. 'Affirmative action' breeds racism/sexism because when jobs and promotions are given to less qualified minorities, they are inherently being taken away from possibly more qualified majority folks. Thereby CREATING resentment.

And you say it's just one meeting? Then others see they can start making similar demands and it quickly snowballs.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the 'special snowflake' society. Where people make an effort to be offended at every turn. Where everyone feels they have the right to make special requests like this and get butt hurt if they don't get their way.

If clapping makes you nervous DON'T GO TO AN EVENT WHERE CLAPPING WILL BE HAPPENING! Or, as one PP suggested, sit by an exit. I tried to go to church with a friend this past weekend, just to make THEM happy. Sure enough it was too crowded and loud. I high tailed it out of there and then came back for the sermon. I didn't walk up into this huge church and tell them 'I have PTSD and you need to turn off all the amplifiers and not do music this week.'

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I'd guess just after sarcasm becomes a hate crime.

Which will be right after irony.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I said it before and I'll say it again-

Don't go to an event where clapping is to be expected and DEMAND no one clap.

Look up 'rigoddamndiculous' in the dictionary and there will be a link to this story.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

*golf clap*

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I do agree with you in that I'm sick of this whole "I'm A Special Snowflake" thing. The current generation of high-school/college students really confuse me. I think it has a lot to do with Social Media and ego-inflation it tends to cause. People have these spaces that are all about THEM and what THEY share and every "like" or "retweet" they get is a little victory that causes the head to grow larger. The current generation is the ME generation. It's all about them. It's sad.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Clever.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here is some interesting information for those what wish to deny ignorance.

www.mirecc.va.gov...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

So a person in a wheelchair shouldnt go to an event that may have steps. Or should they request a ramp is made available?
Its reasonable to assume any building may have stairs.
No one demanded anything. A request was made.

link   
a reply to: mahatche

They could hire a clown to make a balloon animal every time the speaker said something clap-worthy. Would that make you feel better than jazz hands?

"Shhhhh....no clapping. We wouldn't want to scare anyone. Muah ha ha."

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

*golf clap*

So golfers DO get special rights!

Ha!

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I said it before and I'll say it again-

Don't go to an event where clapping is to be expected and DEMAND no one clap.

Look up 'rigoddamndiculous' in the dictionary and there will be a link to this story.

So, there's no way that this group outlined in the OP is trying to "bend the world to their will."

Thanks, that's what I thought!

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I specifically added 'now if they were bound to a wheelchair and demanded/requested wheelchair access, that would be a different story'.

Requesting accommodation to overcome physical barriers so as to attend an event is not at all the same thing as having an anxiety disorder, going to an event where there's a pretty high likelihood of triggers for you, then requesting/demanding everyone else alter their behavior just to accommodate you.

Disabled people have the right to be treated EQUALLY, not SPECIALLY.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I specifically added 'now if they were bound to a wheelchair and demanded/requested wheelchair access, that would be a different story'.

Requesting accommodation to overcome physical barriers so as to attend an event is not at all the same thing as having an anxiety disorder, going to an event where there's a pretty high likelihood of triggers for you, then requesting/demanding everyone else alter their behavior just to accommodate you.

Disabled people have the right to be treated EQUALLY, not SPECIALLY.

Disabilities come in many forms and if a disabled person can be made to feel equally comfortable and safe as others attending the meeting, then that is not special, that is equal.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Bend the world to their will- A very small minority is trying to dictate reasonable actions of others...aka 'the world'....because what's the world made up of?...other people.

When people decided 'Hey, I'm offended when a stranger grabs my butt.' that's a reasonable thing to be offended by. And so now it's called an assault. Trying to dictate that people at an event not clap? The only way I could see that as reasonable and prudent would be if the event was specifically for people with anxiety disorders and a majority of the audience would be triggered by the clapping. Otherwise it's just another case of terminal 'special snowflake'.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join