It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminists request use of "jazz hands" rather than clapping to avoid triggering "anxiety" [OP UPD

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: windword

Segregation based off Gender is wrong. That is all I will say on this subject.

This has everything to do with anxiety being triggered by violence perpetrated by a specific gender, by a few women who were most likely brutally abused. There is a difference. Also, it wasn't too long ago that I recall there being Men's Only Clubs in our Western society - now that was true segregation.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

It wasn't announced like a broadcast. It was a request posted at Oxford University which was then ridiculed on Twitter (which is where I'm sure the author of the article picked the story up from).

NUS Women are meeting in Solihull for their annual get together. The message read: “Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it’s triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!” The original request is said to have come from Oxford University, and despite being widely ridiculed on Twitter, the NUS was standing by the plan.

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I don't agree with "Boys Only" clubs either. I will restate. Segregation based on gender is wrong, regardless of which gender is doing the segregating. You can't discriminate based on race, or religious beliefs. Why is it suddenly okay to discriminate based off gender?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I don't agree with "Boys Only" clubs either. I will restate. Segregation based on gender is wrong, regardless of which gender is doing the segregating. You can't discriminate based on race, or religious beliefs. Why is it suddenly okay to discriminate based off gender?

It's not a discrimination, it's an accommodation for a few attendees of the meeting with anxiety issues.

Fear-potentiated startle (FPS) is a reflexive physiological reaction to a presented stimulus, and is an indicator of the fear reaction in an organism. The FPS response can be elicited in the face of any threatening stimulus (e.g., any object, person or situation that would cause someone to experience feelings of fear), but it can also be elicited by a neutral stimulus as a result of fear conditioning, a process that occurs when a benign stimulus comes to evoke fear and anxiety upon being paired with a traumatic or fear-provoking event. The stimulus in question is usually of auditory (e.g., loud noise) or visual (e.g., bright light) nature, and startle response measures include eyeblink rates and pulse/heart rate.[1] The negative impact of heightened FPS in the face of neutral stimuli can be treated pharmacologically, using psychotropic medications that are typically used to reduce anxiety in humans. [2] Recent literature, moreover, has implicated increased FPS responses as a correlate in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other anxiety disorders

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So basically the title and article (and maybe the OP) are biased? They pick up some story and add to it to attack feminists? The title should be changed to reflect reality accurately.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

So basically the title and article (and maybe the OP) are biased? They pick up some story and add to it to attack feminists? The title should be changed to reflect reality accurately.

You hit the bull's-eye.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

You got it. That's basically what InTheLight and I have been saying since we joined the thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

If just seeing a man or having a man in your vicinity is enough to send you into a panic attack, you probably should be in therapy, not at some NUS event. I'm real friggin' tried of the whole "Womenfolk are fragile flowers and need safe spaces away from all the evil, rapey men." Because as a woman, I find this notion horribly insulting. If you're so damaged that you can even be around the opposite gender, that impetus is on YOU to find help or remove yourself from the situation, not demand cordoned off safe spaces any time you want to go out in public.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You got it. That's basically what InTheLight and I have been saying since we joined the thread.

There are other articles available which have their titles beginning with "Students.....".

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

If just seeing a man or having a man in your vicinity is enough to send you into a panic attack, you probably should be in therapy, not at some NUS event. I'm real friggin' tried of the whole "Womenfolk are fragile flowers and need safe spaces away from all the evil, rapey men." Because as a woman, I find this notion horribly insulting. If you're so damaged that you can even be around the opposite gender, that impetus is on YOU to find help or remove yourself from the situation, not demand cordoned off safe spaces any time you want to go out in public.

It's not all womenfolk, it's just a couple women who feel it important to attend this particular meeting and to do so they put forth their request for accommodation. These female student union members are discussing extremely important issues to women.
edit on 26-3-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

It sets a bad precedent. Replace the word "men" with "blacks" in this situation and suddenly they're horrible racists. But when it's gender, suddenly it's okay. I just don't get it.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

It sets a bad precedent. Replace the word "men" with "blacks" in this situation and suddenly they're horrible racists. But when it's gender, suddenly it's okay. I just don't get it.

It sets a good precedent for women with anxiety issues trying to attend women's group meetings about women's issues, and being made to feel welcome and safe.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It wasn't announced like a broadcast. It was a request posted at Oxford University which was then ridiculed on Twitter (which is where I'm sure the author of the article picked the story up from).

NUS Women are meeting in Solihull for their annual get together. The message read: “Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it’s triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!” The original request is said to have come from Oxford University, and despite being widely ridiculed on Twitter, the NUS was standing by the plan.

www.breitbart.com...

It was... It was tweeted publicly by the NUS Women's Campaign:

twitter.com...

Oh and also this one:

@nuswomcam please can we ask people to stop clapping but do feminist jazz hands? it's triggering some peoples' anxiety. thank you!

twitter.com...
edit on 26-3-2015 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentSmith

Yea of course. Duh. Lol. How else would it get made fun of on Twitter? Good point.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: STTesc
As someone who has dealt with severe anxiety, this is complete BS! When your pulse jumps to 200+ and you feel like you're having a heart attack, that's anxiety. And let me just say that people clapping has never triggered such an attack. These people are looney, out of their minds.

But obviously you are aware that everyone with anxiety issues can react differently to different things depending on the roots of the anxiety. As someone who has worked with various people who have anxiety for many different reasons, your comment sounds looney.
Not to mention the fact you know nothing about the people who made the request. What if they have autism? Still looney to suggest clapping can cause anxiety for people with autism?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I dont understand why the gender or the race of the people who made the request is important. It shouldn't matter either way. They can choose to request what they like in their own meetings.
This thread is losing the point i think. This isnt about feminism.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

That's the problem. The ISSUE isn't about feminism, but Breitbart made it about feminism. Hence we have a feminism discussion (or rather just a thread where the anti-feminists can make fun of feminists).

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yes that appears to be what's going on here.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

It sets a good precedent for women with anxiety issues trying to attend women's group meetings about women's issues, and being made to feel welcome and safe.
So you'd be alright with with white people with anxiety issues attending a white group meeting about white's issues, and saying "no blacks allowed" to make them feel welcome and safe?

Anything less is hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink

originally posted by: STTesc
As someone who has dealt with severe anxiety, this is complete BS! When your pulse jumps to 200+ and you feel like you're having a heart attack, that's anxiety. And let me just say that people clapping has never triggered such an attack. These people are looney, out of their minds.

But obviously you are aware that everyone with anxiety issues can react differently to different things depending on the roots of the anxiety. As someone who has worked with various people who have anxiety for many different reasons, your comment sounds looney.
Not to mention the fact you know nothing about the people who made the request. What if they have autism? Still looney to suggest clapping can cause anxiety for people with autism?

The request specifically said "please can we ask people to stop clapping but do feminist jazz hands? it's triggering some peoples' anxiety. "

Sorry but it's just the usual doublethink 'we want to be treated the same so we want special treatment'.

Try being a man and explaining you have to take medication and see a therapist because you've been through trauma to these types of people, they'll openly bully you and mock you while claiming only they can be victims.

SCUM

SCUM

What about the rape hoax in Rolling Stone? Twitter was awash with 'feminists' calling that men should be considered guilty by default when accused and it's "no big deal" if they're innocent as they'll "only lose their job and a few friends" at the most?

They LIE, they are HYPOCRITES and they are usually weak and insecure people with borderline personality disorders or sociopaths that need TREATMENT and not getting the attention they want.
edit on 26-3-2015 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join