It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Has anyone ever done a "Master Cleanse"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:28 AM
This is a personal-ish topic, but I feel embarrassed discussing it with my partner or my close friends, I'm a very private person. That being said, the judgement of random people online doesn't phase me at all, and the objective nature of most opinions is helpful to me.

In the past 3 years I've gained over 30 pounds. This is troubling because I eat fairly healthfully, have a garden, cook at home 99% of the time, drink maybe once a month, eat moderate portions. I walk the dog every day, I'm running around at university, yoga once per week, I'm not sedentary in any way.

To lose the weight I've tried clean eating, low carb, keto, slow carb, and low calorie. I have a lot of willpower, and I stick to the laws of any diet I set out upon, but have never managed to lose more than 5 pounds. My water weight fluctuates wildly, and I mean wildly. I'm not sure if this is more of a woman's issue, but it's normal for me to wake up one morning weighing 161lbs, and the next morning weighing in at 172lbs. Any amount of salt I seem to eat immediately presents itself as water weight. I feel bloated and sluggish, and not like myself. I've become self conscious of my body in ways I've never thought about before.

I have PCOS, which I've rarely thought about in the past, I was diagnosed at 18; and I've recently been diagnosed as having a low thyroid function. I can't claim this as scientific fact, but from what I've read, both of these things can make weight loss a struggle.

Recently I've read about something called the "Master Cleanse", now, I'm a science minded individual, so I realize this isn't going to cleanse me of anything, as my liver and kidneys do that just fine, but I am interested in the weight loss. By all accounts, the weight loss isn't something that will last forever, but am I foolish to think of it as a jump off point? I would still be consuming about 1200 calories each day, so it's not really a starvation diet.

Has anyone done this for 10 days, more than 10 days? What were your results?

Does anyone have a similar struggle with losing weight that they would feel comfortable sharing?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:37 AM
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'm surprised ketosis didn't make you lose weight. Obvious reply but... You asksed the doctor for an opinion? I say that as you've done most things that should work.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:44 AM
a reply to: and14263

I did keto (for the second time) for three weeks after it was suggested by a user on this site. Was it you? I'd have To go back and check. I kept my net carbs at barely 10g, and consumed spoonfuls of coconut oil. My body did not like this. After three weeks, I'd only lost 3 pounds. The first time I did keto about 5 years ago, I had lost something like 15 pounds in a month! My body still hated it, but the difference is crazy.

The doctor says it's likely due to my thyroid. She's not the most amazing doctor, you get in, you get out, but she does her job.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:44 AM
Double Post.

edit on 25-3-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:57 AM

Read the reviews.

I lost 75 lbs. after breaking My back/neck, it seemed that all My muscle turned to fat. I have since found "Ayurveda' and came across an amazing diet. In this diet You eat EXACTLY what it is You want. You make every meal like "Thanksgiving" because most folks eat the same thing for Thanksgiving and for 364 days You think about eating that food. i.e. If You want a BigMac™ but order a 1/4 lber instead, when You're finished eating You'll still be hungry. It is this hunger that drives trips to the fridge/cabinet where "empty calories" are consumed.

The diet's name is "The Psychologist's Eat Anything You Want Diet" written by a Sonoma State University teacher. The aforementioned Ayurveda got Me meditating/yogaizing and drinking way more water. I drink at least 10 16. oz bottles day..

••• Most Helpful Tip••• First thing in the a.m. is to swallow completely a warm/hot cup of water. Not too hot that it'll burn but warmer than 'warm' Chug the whole thing. If You start this tomorrow (Thursday) by next Thursday You'll have dropped 5-7 lbs. of "fat" This "daily cleanse" works like LiquidPlummr™ and by the 3rd or 4th day You'll KNOW exactly what "gravity" is, because by this day, as soon as You get upright (out of bed) You'll be "touching cotton" and every A.M. a healthy elimination awaits You...

On the diet, don't eat ANYTHING that You don't "WANT" and if You cannot pinpoint what it is You "want" You don't really 'want' it, but will keep searching for "What looks good" 'What are You having"... As soon as You're done w/breakfast, plan on Your lunch, as soon as lunch is done... Make every meal Thanksgiving..

P.S. Now with the $$$ You'd waste for a "solution" do the above and then go by YourSelf a new Summer dress

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:58 AM

The Master Cleanse is a pretty serious fast, fasting being good for us periodically is all well and good, but I wouldn't recommend, using this , or most "fasts" to initiate weight loss. With your thyroid fx, being a bit slow jumping into a serious fast may be pretty disruptive to your system.

There are good and bad brands in the supplement arena but I had fantastic results using brown seaweed extract and Svetol brand Green Coffee bean extract (the only one with actual human studies on their extract). I got the Svetol by taking Fucothin Green with each meal and replacing my breakfast with Raw Fit Plant protein. Patience is required, but by week 6 I had lost a significant amount of weight (30lbs. over all and kept it off).

Brown Seaweed Extract has a 6 week saturation before you really notice the difference, green coffee bean (Svetol only) provides a substance called Chlorogenic Acid which essentially keeps the body from storing sugars as fat in the liver and instead ushers them out through your urine.

If you are stuck on fasting try something a bit less "hard-core" than the master cleanse, perhaps my old stand-by fast that I use at the change of seasons: 2 days raw food, 3 days green vegetable juice fast and finnish with 2 days raw food. It is just as important to enter a fast correctly as well as to end a fast correctly, otherwise you aren't accomplishing as much as your fasting aims.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:06 PM
I'm with the person above that suggested seeing a Dr. Cleansing causes the toxins in your body to be eliminated but you can have serious reactions that are not pleasant. At the very least the Dr. Should know you are doing a cleanse to keep an eye on you.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:07 PM
a reply to: JimNasium

If I ate the thing I wanted the most each and everyday, which is sushi, I would be spending way more than what it would cost for a new summer dress!

Thank you for your advice, and for sharing your story!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:08 PM
a reply to: BlueJacket

Thank you. I have a rarely used juicer that I recieved as a birthday gift. Maybe I'll get some use out of it yet.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:41 PM
I lost 25 pounds going vegan. I started with a "green-organ-cleanse" diet. Something I made up myself understanding the power if green biology and it's uses for my biology upon ingesting.

I've never done a master cleanse, sounds silly. My cleanse is a raw, semi organic, pure green meal. I had it for breakfast and lunch or dinner, twice a day.

- broccoli
- kale
- parsley
- celery
- dark leaf lettuce
- mint leaves
- peas
- green beans

My other meals were things such as; rice, pasta, beans, quinoa, buckwheat, grains and cereals.

The results were incredible. Physically, my energy levels were amplified. Was needing leas sleep, I was running off 3-6 hours everday. I lost A LOT of weight. I did not lose strength or toughness, I felt stronger and tougher most days as a vegan.

I have tried various diets, currently would be labeled a pescatarian, a vegetarian who consumes seafood.

That's all I have to offer

I hope you find something to aid in knocking off some excess weight. It makes life feel much better, I know.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
Create a spreadsheet containing all of the foods that you are consuming daily, sorted by their nutritional content. You can obtain data from the Nutrition Data website.

You will then be able to see what nutrients you may be lacking and what you may be overloading on.

This is how my diet looks (values in % of recommended daily intake):

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:10 PM
That's an interesting tool, but I have zero time to do this at the moment.

a reply to: Fazza!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
I recently bought a water mineralizer. Have read that it is far more healthy to have a slightly basic ph for overall health.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:55 PM
The important things are when you eat, nothing heavy after 7pm. Avoid heavy use of sugar and salt. Eat lots of greens; cucmber, lettuce, brussel sprouts, broccoli as well as fruit; at least tangerines/oranges. Avoid all those fast food meals; Those are really junk. Avoid soft drinks as well, but one a week is OK. Try leaving your bedroom open slightly at night to see if the extra fresh air helps.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:36 PM

I may have recommended it,.. I'd possibly not now as like you say it can be pretty bad for some .

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:58 PM
The chocolate diet. I've never been on it but, my heart has joy at the name. Give that or the tea diet a look.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:43 AM
There are some positives about the master cleanse in that it is supposed to cleanse the body of harmful toxins you have built up from consuming high-fat, heavily processed diet.
You will also lose weight from doing this pretty quickly.

However this weight loss is usually temporary because much of it is due to fluid loss with the low-carb intake. The laxative effect also means you have more bowel movements. The restriction of calories will also result in a lose of vital nutrients and leave you feeling pretty crappy.

When you resume normal fluid intake you most likely will regain the weight. You are also cleansing your body of good micro-organisms as well as the bad which will bring about issues. Laxatives also cause dehydration, electrolyte deplention and affect your normal bowel function.

Just remove the processed foods from your diet, limit the salt and sugar (natural too), reduce the refined carbs, drink loads of water and you will see a result. Reduce your portion sizes too.

Simply put the cons weight out the pros on the Master Cleanse.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:02 PM

I have PCOS also.While on birth control I could maintain my weight but once off it I gained 50 pounds. You won't like my answer but two hours in the gym five days a week and oddly enough following the diet in Dr. Ian Smith's book is the only thing that works for me. I didn't have weight problems until I went off the pill, now eternal vigelance.. I can eat little to nothing and still gain!Good luck finding what works for you but definately not a Master cleanse!!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:33 PM
a reply to: wondering5740
The only thing that works for me is effort. As in sweat. Dietary changes make very little difference due to already eating well.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:17 PM

Here is a free website to track your calorie intake. You might me surprised how much you really eat. It adds up quickly.

I did the Master Cleanse for 7 days and lost about 8 pounds. I can recommend it, although it's a high carb diet. I wouldn't do it longer than 10 days, because there is an insufficient vitamin and protein intake.

Good luck!

top topics

<<   2 >>