It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremy Clarkson won't have Top Gear contract renewed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Hitting a work colleague would result in automatic dismissal for anyone else, don't see why Clarkson should be an exception regardless of circumstances or his 'celebrity' status etc.

I don't think anyone comes out of the incident with any credit; Clarkson seems like a bit of a self-obsessed bully whilst the producer / 'victim' comes across as a bit of a wimp.
And the BBC confirms the impression that it is a PC riddled body whose priorities seem to be more concerned about not upsetting anyone than anything else.

To be honest I have somewhat conflicting views on Clarkson.
Sometimes he makes me laugh and I sort of like his forthright attitude - I like straight talking people who call it as they see it....but he also seems quite intolerant of others opinions etc and can be a complete dickhead at times.

Of course most of that is a carefully crafted persona devised for public consumption.

What I do know is that Clarkson is very much a part of the 'Chipping Norton set' that includes David Cameron, Elizabeth and James Murdoch etc and he currently writes a column for the Murdoch owned The Sun.
What's the odds that sometime soon he signs a contract to present a similar TV programme for Sky TV and takes his sidekicks May and Hammond with him?

Clarkson will come out of this smelling of roses whilst the Beeb loses even more credibility.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Murdoch was straight onto Twitter after the news.......i suspect the ink is still wet on that contract!

If you ever read any of Clarksons books, it is pretty evident that the Clarkson you see on tv is a persona rather than his actual character.

What has most annoyed me about this though is the typical BBC double standards. By all accounts, Danny Cohen took the decision not the screen the Panorama investigation into Saville....but when it came under scrutiny he sacrificed a junior producer....who was sacked. Part of Lord Hall's statement yesterday claimed that no individual is bigger than the Beeb (fair enough comment really). However, that being the case, how come Cohen didn't sacked? I realise that is diverting away from the main thrust of this thread but, given the content of the BBC statement, i definitely feel it is still relevant.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
a reply to: paraphi

Why does every show need to have a woman in it? in fact I think it's gone too far. All I see is women anchors on BBC news. I think top gear is the only show that has a fully male representation.

Nothing against women, but why do BBC try to emasculate every show. Let's put a man on the panel of loose women please!

Top Gear began in 1977. The first ever presenter was a woman.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Exactly, and the popularity skyrocketed when they ditched her and the format lol.

I'm not saying a woman couldn't do it, but the trio were sarcastic and did ludicrous things, I just can't think of any female TV personality that could do the same job.

Can you? All BBC women are sourfaced, we've got no sense of humour, type women, so unless they break the recruitment mould, and hire a woman who can have a bit of fun I won't be watching. Though I think top gear won't be returning now anyway.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

a reply to: Dark Ghost

Clarkson preaches to his herd-like choir from the safety of his studio or editorial suite, shouting louder than everyone else, belittling others who do not warrant such treatment, bullying others while disguising himself as being a victim of ill treatment, demanding special treatment as his political views are supposedly superior to others - he sure sounds so like the PC radical feminists that so many rightly ridicule.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Shamrock6

a reply to: Dark Ghost

Clarkson preaches to his herd-like choir from the safety of his studio or editorial suite, shouting louder than everyone else, belittling others who do not warrant such treatment, bullying others while disguising himself as being a victim of ill treatment, demanding special treatment as his political views are supposedly superior to others - he sure sounds so like the PC radical feminists that so many rightly ridicule.

all of which is the antithesis of "PC," ergo completely voiding your contention that it's PC. but I guess if you repeat "PC radical *whatever*" enough times maybe somebody will forget what PC actually means.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I will make a prediction and say it will be very hard them to be replaced and would risk a backlash for the new presenters.

I think they will do what they did withHave I got news for you after the presenter was fired and every week have 3 guests to review a few cars and have a silly challenge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join