It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruz eyes insurance via Obamacare, a law he vows to scrap

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
yahoo news

His wife is taking an unpaid leave from Goldman Sachs, while he runs for president. That means the family will lose their health ins. through Mrs.Cruz's job.

Cruz could get coverage directly from an insurance company at a likely higher rate than is available on the exchange. But he loves his money more than he hates the Affordable Care Act

Cruz, born in Canada, a country with nationalized healthcare like every other civilized country, wants to repeal the ACA, and give total control to Ins. companies that helped write the watered down ACA.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I would think a state senator could be covered by insurance in the state he is from. He is after all a state employee and should be eligible to receive the same benefits as other state employees.
Unless he resigns his position to run for president of course.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I do feel the need to point out that every single person I know who was screaming for this new mandated healthcare system is now looking at being fined because they can't afford the mandatory healthcare...

It's a good idea in theory- but then, so is a democracy.

Meanwhile my insurance rates are up and my coverage is down- privately owned insurance companies are tied in as deeply with the government as the central bank scam, and "we the people" are taking it just a little bit deeper...

FWIW, repealing it wont fix anything anymore than implementing it in the first place did.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

nvm
edit on 25-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

that's what i'm trying to find out, i was under the impression that a members of congress must step down during a bid for president.
if so, then he would not qualify for the insurance that the Federal Government provides for congress or his state.

i have no problem with him getting obamacare, all members of congress should have to follow the same laws as everyday citizens.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I have not picked a pony in this race yet, so no sided view...This guy does not need obummercare. This is a strategy on his part. No way a wealthy person in this situation would jump in on a program just for the peons. This has more implications than fuel for people STUPID enough to think Cruz wants ACA and the many failures that it carries. Sad part is some moron is going to try to use this as a tool against him, it is a strategy, and that's it....

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Yes, and in one interview, when asked about it, he stated how "It's the great thing about Obamacare is how it covers those in congress without subsides".
So he is all for it so long as it benefits him and his family, but wanted to stop it for everyone else.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My problem is he speaks of Obamacare as socialized medicine, it's not.
And he compared the ACA to nazi Germany...

But if it were so terrible, why would he get it?
To save a couple bucks a month?
Is he no longer worried about the death panels?
Isn't he proving the fact: It's the same insurance just cheaper through the larger exchange.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
its only "cheaper" if you get a subsidy, this ACA is a mess. Seriously, a candidate against ACA wants it and is going to run on a platform to dump it? Just how hollow is our grey matter? The only way to find out something is to join it. Strategy...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I think it depends on the state you are in. I only remember that because just a week ago (or so) there was something about Kentucky passing a law that essentially allows Rand Paul from running while serving.

And as far as the insurance goes, maybe it's an open enrollment issue? If they were on her plan (which is no longer available) he may have to wait until December to sign up if he previously denied it? I don't know, that's how my shop works. It's take it now or you only have the option to enroll once every year.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

that's what i'm trying to find out, i was under the impression that a members of congress must step down during a bid for president.

I don't remember McCain stepping down when he ran for president.

If you find out please post it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
there's something called the LBJ rule, but that's for running for a congressional seat and VP or President at the same time.
still looking for the other, i maybe wrong.for some reason i remember someone stepping down until then race was over and the went back to their seat.

edit on 25-3-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i guess i was wrong, i can't find anything other than the LBJ rule or states laws on Resign to Run’laws at a state level.

ETA: and i did remember correctly that someone resigned to run, it was bob dole in 1996. but he had already won the nomination

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I would think a state senator could be covered by insurance in the state he is from. He is after all a state employee and should be eligible to receive the same benefits as other state employees.
Unless he resigns his position to run for president of course.

Sen. Grassley inserted a provision into Obamacare that made all Federal Congressional members and their staffers subject to Obamacare. Remember how much Reid and co. whined when they discovered how much it would cost them?

Cruz is following the law. As the only employed member of the family, his benefits as a Fed. Sen. are the only ones the family has access to, so it must be Obamacare.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

i have no problem with him getting obamacare, all members of congress should have to follow the same laws as everyday citizens.

His wife took a leave of absence from Goldman Sachs while he runs for POTUS...up until now he was covered under her plan.

They have the option to get insurance privately...the law only requires that they be covered, not that they get it through Obamacare.

He has opted to get it through Obamacare with the Congressional Subsidy.

His wife makes millions at Goldman Sachs...they could easily afford coverage on the private market.
edit on 25-3-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

she is on a unpaid leave of absence, so she is not not making "millions" and she is not receiving pay or benifits.

here is a couple of little quote from another article.

Under the law, members of Congress are required to purchase their health care through Obamacare exchanges.

“Well, it is written in the law that members will be on the exchanges without subsidies just like millions of Americans so that’s — I think the same rules should apply to all of us,” Cruz told the newspaper. “Members of Congress should not be exempt.”

Asked by CNN whether he would accept the government subsidies available to lawmakers for their health care coverage under Obamacare, Cruz said he will “follow the text of the law.”

Later Tuesday, Cruz spokesman Rick Tyler told the Washington Post that a final decision had not been made. “Sen. Cruz said he would ‘presumably’ use his employer health insurance, for which the only option is Obamacare,” he said. “But there are other options that the senator is considering before making a final decision about how to make sure his family is insured.”

“I strongly oppose the exemption that President Obama illegally put in place for members of Congress because (Senate Minority Leader) Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats didn’t want to be under the same rules as the American people,” Cruz said. “I believe we should follow the text of the law.”
After the interview, a Cruz rep told CNN that he wouldn’t take the contribution.

Ted Cruz, who wants to eliminate Obamacare, plans to register for Obamacare

so it appears that he intends following the law as written if he indeed does go through obamacare without subsidies, or using the exemptions that harry reid and obama had put in place.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Of course, one wonder how many people who worked to pass the Amendment repealing Prohibition also followed the law and didn't drink before the Amendment was passed? And did society think of them for it?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

He's simply following the law like everyone else

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

He's simply following the law like everyone else

Bullsnip

Just to be clear..>CRUZ is claiming he HAS TO sign up for Obamacare...that is BS. HE is doing it for the Government Subsidy.

The Affordable Care Act does not compel members of Congress to enroll in DC’s health care exchange;

it simply cuts off the government contribution to their insurance plans if they buy their policies elsewhere..

In other words, Cruz “could purchase coverage in the outside market but would get no subsidy from the FEHBP program,” Tim Jost clarified

“Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.”

LINK

It seems worth noting here that Cruz doesn't have to sign up through an Obamacare exchange. He could opt to purchase a private family plan off the exchange. Some of his Republican colleagues, also opposed to the health-care law, had previously told CNN they would do just that.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Those right wingers sure do love them some government hand-outs!!
edit on 25-3-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

T ed Cruz Just Signed Up For Obamacare, Sees Absolutely No Irony Or Hypocrisy (Video)

In a stunning display of hubris and hypocrisy, Senator Ted Cruz has just chosen to sign up for Obamacare because his wife lost her health insurance.

His wife is a Goldman Sachs banker.

If a Wall Street Banker and a US Senator have to find health insurance via Obamacare, instead of just getting it on their own (or using COBRA) then how does this guy think the poor working class stiffs who don't have such high paying gigs are going to afford it?

The Tea Party Republican – just 24 hours after once again calling for the repeal of the President's health care plan that has delivered affordable health care to literally millions of Americans, and extended the age students, like those at Liberty, can be under their parents' plan – confessed to CNN's Dana Bash this afternoon he just signed up for Obamacare.

"We'll be getting new health insurance and we'll presumably do it through my job with the Senate, and so we'll be on the federal exchange with millions of others on the federal exchange," Cruz said.

He called it "transitioning." he did not call it "Obamacare," but "the federal exchange."

He can't even be a man and call it Obamacare, or the ACA. Now that he is using it for his own health care source, he calls it "the federal exchange."

Cruz's wife, Heidi Cruz, a managing director at Goldman Sachs' Houston office, is taking an unpaid leave of absence from her job, presumably to avoid any appearance of impropriety. The Cruz family has been getting its health care insurance from Mrs. Cruz's employer, but now they are no longer eligible while she is on leave.

So Senator Cruz signed up for Obamacare, and sees absolutely no hypocrisy, or even irony, with taking that action.

Cruz, it should be noted, has every right to buy health care insurance privately, like many Americans do, but chose to sign up for Obamacare and to accept the federal government subsidy that he is entitled to as a sitting U.S. Senator.

"I believe we should follow the text of every law, even (a) law I disagree with," Cruz told CNN. "It's one of the real differences -- if you look at President Obama and the lawlessness, if he disagrees with a law he simply refuses to follow it or claims the authority to unilaterally change."

CNN's Dana Bash was shocked and looked incredulous several times, as she asked, "That means you are going to take a government subsidy?," and noted, "the irony is kind of unbelievable."

The irony is indeed kind of unbelievable.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join