It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Russia Liken Falklands Ilsands To Crimea

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:34 PM
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yeah, it doesn't work that way for the Falklands - it certainly didn't in 1982!

The North Atlantic Treaty only obliges the signatories to give support if the attack occurs in Europe or North America north of the Tropic of Cancer

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:35 PM
a reply to: stumason

I learned something new today... Thanks

I know people are not fans of Thatcher however I think the combination of Thatcher and Regan is what allowed us to get through the cold war alive. For some reason those 2 complemented each other very well, particularly on international issues.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:04 PM

No worries

Yeah, they were the two that really put the "special" into the "special relationship". For all that Maggie did at home (and much of it is unfairly put at her feet when it was the Unions), she was a colossal Stateswoman and someone respected.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:39 AM

originally posted by: stumason

No worries

Yeah, they were the two that really put the "special" into the "special relationship". For all that Maggie did at home (and much of it is unfairly put at her feet when it was the Unions), she was a colossal Stateswoman and someone respected.

She protected many paedophiles in Westminster.

What a great woman.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:58 AM
There's no way argentina is trying to take over the Falkand ever again, I keep seeing these posts from time to time, and let me tell you, we cant supply a hospital with enough needles, there's no way we even grasp the idea of invanding the Island.
I don't know how they present the matter in Europe, but an invasion to the island, would have total rejection from the general public.
The feeling of the average guy over here is the war was a big mistake, not because we lost it, but because is was a huge drawback for Argentina's expectation of getting the issue solve through a diplomatic agreement.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:33 AM
Whilst I find this thread hilarious if not really old news....buti want to play.

We only need a carrier if we lose the Islands in the first place.

So could Argentine ready an armada, an invasion party, sail to Falklands, ready a logistics chain without UKsuspecting it needs say, 6 typhoons down there???

I loved being British during the FI war.

Right now I work with an Argie who I love to bits but still pay her out, we don't have anything against them, apart from Maradonna the cheating little chump.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:47 AM

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: YodaCoda

I genuinely feel the for the ordinary, everyday Argentinians.
Yet again your leaders are guilty of putting personal advancement and gain before the interests of the Argentinian people.

Thanks, mate. And yes, they are. We usually say here in election times that we do not vote to see who will advance the country more. We vote to the lesser evil. The one that will rape us but at least invite us a coffee first and lie to us nicely.

Not only has Kirchner sold you out with the Chevron deal she also turned down a very generous offer from the British government.

Argentina was offered 50% of the mineral rights found in Falklands Islands territorial waters.
The UK were prepared to supply the technology and also offered to build an oil refinery on mainland Argentina.

This would have been a massive boost to the Argentinian economy providing much needed jobs and income.
In addition it would have given Argentina access to the latest industry technology.

And perhaps the biggest plus would have been the development of a close working relationship between Argentina and the UK and also between Argentina and the Islanders themselves.
Who knows where this would have led to in years to come.

It would have been a mutually beneficial venture which could have produced much needed income, improved relationships and vastly reduced the risk of further confrontations between the two countries.

Yet Kirchner turned it down flat - no negotiating, nothing.

I remember that offer. Some of us saw it pass by with real sadness. It would have put behind a lot of problems and put our countries closer. But what you up north have to try to understand is that, in a way, Argentina is now run by what you would have dubbed terrorists.

This government, this movement, has its inception in the Montoneros of the 70s. Followers of General Perón that fought the military junta. It is a prevalent view down here, that all of Latin American dictatorships were backed by the US (CIA), specifically the Plan Cóndor and, for some reason, we have this weird tendency to put the UK and the US at the same level, almost as if you were the same country. This government is run by hate towards the North (it was not like that during the first presidency of Néstor Kirchner, he was actually a great political strategist, this started to happen with Cristina), hate towards imperialism.

So this is almost a revenge on her part. Not only against you, but against people of Argentina too. The official strategy is to create a great divide, "you are either with us or against us, and we are the real Argentina". There is no more place to move, no more ideological freedom in that respect. But that is also why an invasion to the Falklands would fail. We have our own internal problems right now, big enough for part of the population to see right through an attempt of fake nationalism through invasion. That, and we do not have the resources, manpower nor willpower for a war like that again.

I sincerely hope there is no repeat of '82 - that would only result in one inevitable outcome.....and none of us wish for that to happen.

I feel truly saddened for Argentina that there seems to be no realistic alternative to Kirchner than others who are equally hawkish and reactionary.

We will not attack the Falklands, at least not for the next twenty, thirty years
. We still have a country to rebuild and our own internal battles to fight. I thank you for your feelings and I truly hope we can get out of this situation and, someday, have a better relationship with you people. F*** ups of the governments are that, and should never be carried away to the normal population.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
a reply to: payta

Nice to see another Argentine here!

Cheers, mate!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>