It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Liken Falklands Ilsands To Crimea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: DAZ21
a reply to: crazyewok

Can we afford to send an aircraft carrier down to the south Atlantic, when Russia are strengthening their navy in northern Europe?

The Argentineans will feel stronger than ever with Russian support. I believe it's only a matter of time now before an invasion.

We haven't got any aircraft carriers.

Well not until 2018.

But then there is the problem of the USA not delivering there wretched F-35 on time.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: southbeach

Exactly! That is why I believe there is no real danger for the Kelpers. This is just "blabla" to try to hold on the last months of government without an insurrection or without the collapse of our economical system. If we tried to invade, we would have to come back home halfway through or even before.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to: YodaCoda

Also, the Argentinean government has repeatedly said that a military solution over the Falkland Islands is not an option. Back in 1982 the war was prosecuted by a dictatorship, but now Argentina is a democracy and unlikely to have the support of the people for another war which they would lose.

The Falkland Islands have a decent garrison and a flight of Typhoons, so that's a good deterrent. The lawyers can argue the toss, but the British claim for the Islands and other assets in the South Atlantic predate Argentina.

The Russian deal is to swap aircraft for beef due to the sanctions. Argentina will get some outdated planes which will keep a small Argentinean air force in the air. Russia get a few tonnes of steak.

I predict that a change of Government in Argentina will herald a warming of relations between the UK and Argentina. The drum bashing by Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, the Argentinean President, has been a distraction tactic due to her administration’s mismanagement of the economy.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Can we afford to send an aircraft carrier down to the south Atlantic, when Russia are strengthening their navy in northern Europe?

The Argentineans will feel stronger than ever with Russian support. I believe it's only a matter of time now before an invasion.

We haven't got any aircraft carriers.

We do, many in fact.

You guys want to borrow a couple of marine carriers?

Perfect for your harriers to deploy from.

Be just like last time, harriers kick their butrs round 2.

We sold all our harriers to you.....................

But I think the USA should loan us a F-18 or F-22 Squadron or two until you deliver our F-35's as you kinda left us hanging there

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

If I were argentina I would say no, give me something new. It would be easier if they just shot the 12 pilots and used half of the fuel to burn the crappy relics on the run way.

Post of the week

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Putin and Kirchner

Perfect bed partners.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: YodaCoda
a reply to: southbeach

Exactly! That is why I believe there is no real danger for the Kelpers. This is just "blabla" to try to hold on the last months of government without an insurrection or without the collapse of our economical system. If we tried to invade, we would have to come back home halfway through or even before.

I really hope you guys get a decent government soon. Argentina seems such a nice country

It would be better for you guys to be friends than enemy's.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

True, but I would not believe anything the FpV says (Kirchner's party). Their slogan was "Country or corporations" and here we are now, with Monsanto, Chevron and Barrick Gold having a party in the country.
Nevertheless, I agree with you, this is due to the mismanagement of the non existent economy and corruption. If the FpV loses the elections, then we will see a really warming up of relations not only with the UK, but also with the US.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Most of us do not see you as enemies. If it would be up to us, we would resolve everything around a barbecue with lots of meat and beer! Speaking seriously, everything passes and this government too shall pass.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: YodaCoda

Most of us do not see you as enemies. If it would be up to us, we would resolve everything around a barbecue with lots of meat and beer! Speaking seriously, everything passes and this government too shall pass.

Wait BBQ you say? And beer!!!!!

I want in.

That is my kind of party!!!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Cobaltic1978

We've got two, they just haven't got any aircraft, thanks USA...

They might not be commissioned yet but I think they are fully operational if needed.

Nope, not even close. While the Queen Elizabeth is afloat, she is only 1/3rd complete with many internal systems still being added. At the moment, all she can do is run her generators for power and that is it.

As the the Prince of Wales, it is still in drydock under construction.

Besides, we haven't had any Carriers since 1986 when Hermes was paid off and we've managed fine.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I believe we have leased 2 from France, but what good is an aircraft carrier without aircraft?

What? No we haven't....

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

As CrazyEwok said, the islanders had their own referendum not too long ago and overwhelmingly voted to remain British.

so...it's exactly like Crimea than ?

The difference is that the falklands voting was internationally recognizedand they population consistently votes to stay british instead or becoming argentinian. teh US navy can send 6 arleigh burke and some subs to deal with argentinia.

Argentine navy

41 ships so 80-120 harpoons will do the trick to sink them all. Then if they try to invade sink the transposrts at speed with Allied naval help from the US navy.if asked by the brits to help.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Exactly so in the meantime we have one destroyer, albeit state of the art, but surely it can't deal with the whole Argentine military?

One Destroyer? I think you'll find we have a few more than that and we're about to start a new Frigate procurement.

We currently have, in the Fleet:

1. 2 Astute Class Submarines (5 more being built)
  2. 4 Trafalgar Class Submarines
  3. 2 Amphibious Assault ships - HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark
  4. 1 Helicopter Carrier - HMS Ocean
  5. 6 Daring Class Destroyers
  6. 13 Duke Class Frigates (to be replaced by the GCS over the next 10 years)
  7. And wide variety of Minesweepers and Coastal Patrol vessels

There are also over 1,200 troops on the island, as well as a flight of Typhoons, while these SU-24's can barely make it to the falklands anyway when carrying a full bomb load and will be eaten for breakfast by the Eurofighters and T-45.

Let's face it if Argentina want to take the Falklands, there's nothing much we could do, and I can't see us using nukes in response.

Let's face it - even with these aircraft, they are no threat and are weaker now than in 1982. We could easily repel any attempt to invade and that is ignoring the fact Argentina couldn't even mount an invasion in the first place.
edit on 25/3/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

interesting..

Russia claims the people of Crimea voted to be a part of Russia and yet they deny the same to the people in the Falklands.

huh. I guess when its convenient for Russia....

edit on 25-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I would rather you don't guys.

Us Brits don't wanna hear about how you Americans saved our arses in the 2nd Falkland war

Though a F-18 squadron or two would be welcome but only cause you kinda screwed up with the whole timeline on when the F-35 was going to be ready

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

interesting..

Russia claims the people of Crimea voted to be a part of Russia and yet they deny the same to the people in the Falklands.

huh. I guess when its convenient for Russia....

who knows what going on in Putins mad little brain.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

A game of Russian roulette with his last brain cell using a semi automatic pistol?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Damn, and the F-135 not being ready yet....no VTOL no using small carriers for planes.

They'll be ready soon and the program is going well, despite ill-informed tabloid articles to the contrary.

That is pretty crap position to be in.

Do you guys have any attack aircraft stationed down their?

Yes, No. 1435 Flight (Typhoons) is down there - 4 aircraft.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Good AA systems would stave off bombers longer.

Rapier's are there at the moment (SAM system) to be replaced by CAMM(L)by 2020.

You guys really are in a tight spot down there.

Not even in the slightest. In 1982, we had 81 Royal Marines there and they still caused the Argies trouble (one marine engaged an Argentine Frigate in person!) - now we have an entire battalion.
edit on 25/3/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join