It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Liken Falklands Ilsands To Crimea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Russia seem to be stirring up trouble between Argentina and the UK, as they liken the Falklands Islands to the situation over Crimea. In the process they seem to be siding with Argentina and sending them bombers in exchange for food. The UK however will deploy a new missile system in the Falklands in case of an attack which seems more likely if Argentina has the backing of Russia.

Britain will send two troop-carrying Chinook helicopters and new surface-to-air missile system to the Falkland Islands, amid fears Russia could be arming the Argentine government.

Michael Fallon, the Defence Secretary, said the Islands will be ready to repel “any potential threat” following reports that the Kremlin is preparing to lease 12 Su-24 long range bombers to Buenos Aires in exchange for beef and wheat.

It came as Russia questioned the legitimacy of Britain’s claim on the Islands.

Could be good tactics if Putin plans on attacking the Baltic states, and making the UK forces fight on two fronts. If North Korea keeps the US busy also, then that would leave European forces to defend themselves against a Russian invasion. Of course this is all hypothetical.

Full story : Story
edit on 25-3-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Yeah...nooooo.

Falkland WAS UK territory when the Argies invaded.

99% of Falkland Islanders want to remain British in numerous independent polls conducted.

UK does not drag minority off and make them disappear like the Tatars.

As for Russia Arming Argentina? Worrying.
Still they have a way to go hopefully before they are any threat. I just hope we can get the aircraft carriers out before then.
The big worry is the USA screwing up the F-35 further.

edit on 25-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Nothing like Crimea and he is just trying to score political points over this. Seriously, Argentina needs to wind their neck in over the Falklands, unless they want another spanking.

As CrazyEwok said, the islanders had their own referendum not too long ago and overwhelmingly voted to remain British.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

As CrazyEwok said, the islanders had their own referendum not too long ago and overwhelmingly voted to remain British.

so...it's exactly like Crimea than ?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Can we afford to send an aircraft carrier down to the south Atlantic, when Russia are strengthening their navy in northern Europe?

The Argentineans will feel stronger than ever with Russian support. I believe it's only a matter of time now before an invasion.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

Can we afford to send an aircraft carrier down to the south Atlantic, when Russia are strengthening their navy in northern Europe?

The Argentineans will feel stronger than ever with Russian support. I believe it's only a matter of time now before an invasion.

We haven't got any aircraft carriers.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Nothing like Crimea and he is just trying to score political points over this. Seriously, Argentina needs to wind their neck in over the Falklands, unless they want another spanking.

Let's just look at this from a purely logical view.

British or Argentine....hhhmm which country lives like crap and which offers a decent lifestyle.....hhhmmm. OK Britain wins easily.

Brit or argi.....who offers more freedom to its people....hhmmm...yup brit again.

As far as it being like Crimea...lol.

Yes brittain owning it since 1833 and defending it is the exact same as taking Crimea by force from the sovereign nation it belonged to.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Do you think the Argentineans care about that vote as much as Ukrainians care about how Crimeans voted.

It means nothing to them, it won't stop them.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Russia is right. The Crimeans DID vote for independence from Kiev. They have every right to go their own way after the west showed the way with the forced dismemberment of Serbia and the creation of Kosovo.

To be honest I wouldn't be upset if the Ruskies station their army in Argentina, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I'm British too, I just think we and the west have pushed against Russia and its sphere of influence (through coloured revolution, Stratfor and NATO) too far

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

We do, many in fact.

You guys want to borrow a couple of marine carriers?

Perfect for your harriers to deploy from.

Be just like last time, harriers kick their butrs round 2.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

We've got two, they just haven't got any aircraft, thanks USA...

They might not be commissioned yet but I think they are fully operational if needed.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

so...it's exactly like Crimea than ?

No, nothing like Crimea.

The Crimea was given to Ukraine by Russia in the 50's, whilst the Falklands have been under British rule since the early 1800's.

The Falklanders do not want to be part of Argentina, they want to remain British and any attempt to try to take the Falklands will be an act of war.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
Russia is right. The Crimeans DID vote for independence from Kiev. They have every right to go their own way after the west showed the way with the forced dismemberment of Serbia and the creation of Kosovo.

To be honest I wouldn't be upset if the Ruskies station their army in Argentina, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I'm British too, I just think we and the west have pushed against Russia and its sphere of influence (through coloured revolution, Stratfor and NATO) too far

The vote was extremely questionable.

It went down way too fast had no outside oversight etc...

For all the world actually knows it was a complete fraud.

I can't say it was, as I don't have any proof.

But the only proof it was legit is what the Russian gov says.

So I call it 50/50 at best.

link   

originally posted by: johnwick

We do, many in fact.

We've scrapped all the Harriers.

link   

If North Korea keeps the US busy also than that would leave European forces to defend themselves against a Russian invasion. l

You can't be serious. The 2nd Division and half a CBG would deal with NK, freeing America to assist Europe if needed. Which it is never going to come to.

England would be wise to place AA systems on the islands.

It would also be a good idea to move a lot of English speaking people there soon. It could come as an unexpected surprise to find out that somehow 30% of the population became Russian speaking last week and now want to "vote" to join the Federation LoL (I jest, before I am asked for a source)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I Know, I believe we should have sympathised with Russia over our similar circumstances. But I'm not in charge and the government has taken a different route, now it is a really dangerous situation because Russia have decided to back The Argentinean claim. Initially they said Britain should understand because of the Falklands, but we chose to back Ukraine.

So I suppose it's just deserts, but it now means we have put ourselves into a deteriorating situation.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I heard we still had them, rusting away in some hanger somewhere. I'm sure we could spark them back into life if needed. Maybe give them a few upgrades...

Times of need call for desperate measures... we're not getting our F-35's anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

We've got two, they just haven't got any aircraft, thanks USA...

They might not be commissioned yet but I think they are fully operational if needed.

They're not in service until 2016 and 2018.

I believe we have leased 2 from France, but what good is an aircraft carrier without aircraft?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Exactly so in the meantime we have one destroyer, albeit state of the art, but surely it can't deal with the whole Argentine military?

Let's face it if Argentina want to take the Falklands, there's nothing much we could do, and I can't see us using nukes in response.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

We do, many in fact.

We've scrapped all the Harriers.

Damn, and the F-135 not being ready yet....no VTOL no using small carriers for planes.

That is pretty crap position to be in.

Do you guys have any attack aircraft stationed down their?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join