It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costa Rica runs green in 2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
So here it is, a new milestone set by Costa Rica whose renewable energy resources powered the whole country for the first 75 days in year 2015. It has to be said though that the hydropower plants received a massive boost from the heavy rainfall during this period and with combination of solar, wind and geothermal resources they have covered the needs of the country in full without using any fossil feuls.

I know it`s not as green as it seems because there are still researches to be made on how this affects the natural habitat of the animals but I would personally rather have these over fossil feuls and nuclear power anywhere anytime. So this is a massive step forward as far as I`m concerned. Hopefully other coutries will try to follow...

cleantechnica.com...

The Latin American country of Costa Rica has achieved the milestone of generating 100 per cent of its electricity from renewable resources, with a combination of hydropower and geothermal for 75 days in a row, the the state-owned Costa Rican Electricity Institute (ICE) said.

Boosted by good rains at four of he country’s main hydroelectric plants, ICE said that, according to National Electric System figures, it had not been necessary to use hydrocarbons to supply the country’s grid at all in 2015, for the months of January, February and so far in March.

“With these (rain) conditions and the reserves accumulated to date, the ICE estimates that the downward trend in rates for all consumers will continue in the second quarter,” the power agency was quoted as saying in the Latin American Herald Tribune.

Of course, Costa Rica already has an outstanding record on efficient, clean and cheap electricity generation, ranking No. 2 in Latin America for providing a household coverage rate of 99.4 per cent at some of the region’s lowest prices.

other sources:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

What actually puzzles me is the lack of investment in wave power which for a country with a shore line should be a must. The tides are totally dependable far more so than wind etc yet this seems to be ignored can anyone shed any light because surely in this day and age we have the technology to put turbines where they can benefit from sea motion?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

AS the article said Costa Rica has been a leader in renewable energy for a long time, but this is a milestone to 100% green now. Costa Rica is a beautiful country I love it there and I am sure my friends there are happy to know their electric bills will start going down though it was never all that high to begin with. Ther drinking water is some of the cleanest in the world as well. I know they need to undertake a revamping of the waterworks systems to repair lines because many are damaged that sort of happens in earthquake prone areas.

Now that they can run the country off of renewables I am sure they will be looking to replace imported fuel for vehicles with renewables as well.

Maybe I can get away for a couple weeks this year to enjoy another adventure or two down there.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

What actually puzzles me is the lack of investment in wave power which for a country with a shore line should be a must. The tides are totally dependable far more so than wind etc yet this seems to be ignored can anyone shed any light because surely in this day and age we have the technology to put turbines where they can benefit from sea motion?

Tides are dependable that is true worldwide however generating electric from them has proven problematic. The technology just isn't there yet mainly because of the corrosive nature of seawater.

Tidal power has great potential for future power and electricity generation and there are many working on ways to harness it, but I don't think Costa Rica has the needed funds to develop unproven technologies which is why they have gone with proven technologies like Geothermal. They have enough Geothermal potential to power all of Central America with some left over, but they diversified power generation in Hydro, geothermal, and wind. Homeowners have supplemented their electrical with solar but I doubt the state will ever invest in it as much because with them being closer to the equator they days are fairly even with 12 hours of light and 12 of dark.

They seem to be pretty happy with their choices because Costa Rican people rank as some of the happiest people on earth. They also have mandatory voting and about 9 major political parties that hold offices no one party holds too much power at any time. Although not long ago they did have a two party system like the US. IMO they now have a model t be admired. There will always be corruption in politics, but the people treat dirty politicians like dirty diapers.

Their motto is Pura Vida which translate to pure life. I am a fan if you couldn't tell.

If you are interested in Tidal Power here is a link you may find informative. Tidal Power

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I read that wave/tidal power plants are too expensive for now and will be commercialy viable from 2020 on. Also regarding Costa Rica, I doubt they would want to ruin those beautiful beaches with it. This option doesn`t go very well with tourism, not to mention possible danger for the marine ecosystem...
edit on 25-3-2015 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

top topics

join