It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Not On Alert - Asteroid 2014-YB35 Hurtling Terrifyingly Far From Earth On Friday

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

If my mother is in NY and about to be run over by that speeding car, yeah, that worries me!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

I verify everything for myself.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

If my mother is in NY and about to be run over by that speeding car, yeah, that worries me!

Understandable.

However, the example still stands: A car in NY, isn't going to be able to harm you if you live in California, 3,000 miles away.

It's the same for this asteroid. It won't even pass close enough to be affected by the Earth's gravity.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If it is anything outside of the distance the moon is from the Earth i am unconcerned. Every planet in the solar system can fit between the Earth and the moon. Unless it's something jupiter-sized it most likely will not hit at that range.
edit on 25-3-2015 by Vortiki because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

My mother dying from being hit by the car will bring harm to me.

You do not know to 100% certainty that comet won't, in some way, cause us harm, now or in the future.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I verify everything for myself.

Then you must have seen the same thing I saw, that this object poses no risk to hit earth, even just based on amateur data alone.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I keep my mind open to the possibility that I could be fatally wrong in my findings. My determination is only as valid as are the documents available for my research material. I am not on or near the comet, after all...

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

My mother dying from being hit by the car will bring harm to me.

You do not know to 100% certainty that comet won't, in some way, cause us harm, now or in the future.

The object in the OP is an asteroid, not a comet. And while you may think I am just pointing this out to be picky, there is a valid reason. Comets shed large amounts of dust and debris as they heat up on approach to the inner solar system. Along with sublimated gasses, this is what gives them their distinctive comas and tails. Were a comet passing that close to earth, we would have known about it well before the asteroid was spotted. Also, comets are generally a good bit larger than ~500m. That greatly increases the potential damage of an impact.
Now that this asteroid has been spotted, it's orbit has been calculated. While minor variances in gravity from the sun and planets can slightly alter it's orbital dynamics over time, we still have a plot for its future path through the solar system with a good deal of accuracy. NASA,while not being known to purposely fan the flames of doom-sayers, is quite open and frank about potential future impacts. Also, as evidenced upthread, they are not the only entity capable of grasping orbital mechanics and plotting future orbits. I assure you, if anyone had determined this object posed even a 10% risk of impact in the forseeable future, the finding would be public by now.
edit on 25-3-2015 by pfishy because: There is a mosquito flying around this room.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I keep my mind open to the possibility that I could be fatally wrong in my findings. My determination is only as valid as are the documents available for my research material. I am not on or near the comet, after all...

So you think the amateur astronomers are lying then? Because if they're not, the inescapable conclusion is that it's no more of a risk to impact earth on Friday than than the moon itself. If you do fear that amateur sources are all in on some massive conspiracy to lie, well that's a level of paranoia I can't help you with, but I do think you should seek professional help for treatment. Perhaps you're just worried about your own incompetence in completing the calculations? Well if so that is your problem, but I'm quite confident in my own abilities. I'm open to being proven wrong, but it would be upon you to show me where I'm wrong.
edit on 25-3-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Tell that to Russia. 1000 people were injured by an ASTEROID or METEOR ( yes, I misspoke) that snuck past everyone. Or do you think NASA knew but didn't warn Russia?
edit on 1427323208Wednesday31Wed, 25 Mar 2015 17:40:08 -0500pmWednesday4050531 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

a reply to: pfishy

Tell that to Russia. 1000 people were injured by an ASTEROID or METEOR ( yes, I misspoke) that snuck past everyone. Or do you think NASA knew but didn't warn Russia?

No I don't think NASA knew. No one knew. There were no calculations involved because no one even knew the thing was out there until it hit the atmosphere. We know this asteroid is out there and we know its orbit. Even just based on amateur data we know it's not a risk for impact, so you're comparing apples and oranges. Want to try again?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join