It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 year old girl attempts to poison mom for taking away her iphone

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ah, okay, supervise is a much more pleasant word hehe.

Also, I edited my post a few times.

I never can seem to say things the way I want to the first time....
edit on 25-3-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

No worries. I have a dry sense of humor that sometimes slips out in the strangest of places. The use of "police" was one of them.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph most of the teens walking around today are about 15 years overdo for a good spanking by mommy and daddy.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke i think your wrong. There was not much difference between my generation and my parents. I grew up in the 60's. Now just the ads on TV...all sex stuff,,.Tv and online kids are becomming complacent / calus to violence. I actually hope you are right though. To a lot of teenagers sex is like what a handshake was to me at the sane age.

edit on 25-3-2015 by LA1IMPALA because: Correction

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It really comes down to children not having the self-discipline and control to know when it's not appropriate to use their cell phones. Some people are blaming the parents and not the technology. The problem with that is, their parents are not with them 24/7! We all were young at one time. To think everyone here acted like an angel when they were with their friends or away at school, is not being honest with themselves.

If I had a gizmo in my hand back in the day that did everything a smart phone does today, I can guarantee the temptation to play with that in a classroom instead of listening to the old 1 hour lecture and taking notes in class would just be too great. The big question back then would have been, do I take the risk of getting paddled for looking at my cell phone behind my book? The paddle would have been enough of a deterrent for me to make the right choice and not reach for my cell phone.
Today the consequences are lame. Kids today have no fear. Today kids get 1 hour detentions and most are too bold don't care and don't show up. Three days suspension is a vacation from school.

I come from a generation where a lot of parents smacked their kids when they got out of line. We were grounded from going outside to play. We didn't dare talk back to a teacher or even utter vulgarity in their presence of a school official. I know if my parents found out I did any of the above, I would have gotten it worst at home. It made me think of the consequences before I engaged in any bad behavior. Was it fear of the consequences, you better believe it!

I talk with a lot of people who grew up in those days. We all have stories to tell and laugh about it now. I can tell you one thing, most of them will tell you it made them a better person, more considerate, respectful, motivated and hard working.

I'm sure there were parents who went over the line on discipline, and today they most likely would have lost custody of their children. I remember teachers back in the day used to shove kids up against lockers if any student started to get cocky with them. If that happened today, most would find themselves behind bars.

I remember forgetting my gym shoes for class one day. The teacher had me run around the school building in my socks and there was 2 inches of snow outside!!! I never forgot my gym shoes again! lol. This same gym teacher use to have us count-off in Chinese! ...ichie, nee, son, chi. The guy was sadistic.

I still say this generation lacks consequences for poor behavior.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I come from a generation where a lot of parents smacked their kids when they got out of line. We were grounded from going outside to play. We didn't dare talk back to a teacher or even utter vulgarity in their presence of a school official. I know if my parents found out I did any of the above, I would have gotten it worst at home. It made me think of the consequences before I engaged in any bad behavior. Was it fear of the consequences, you better believe it!

This is it in a nutshell...i 100% agree...there is a severe lack of discipline in todays world and it is showing ....

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Or perhaps she is just a horrible brat that tried to off her mother twice. The blame is hers.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Trying to kill your mother is beyond bad behavior...and this little miss tried twice!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

B.S. I have 6 sisters and, hell yeah, we were all spanked, not beaten, as children. Know why? WE DESERVED IT! I learned I have to take personal responsibility for my actions and they have consequences. Know what else, our collective children were spanked and, guess what, none....zip...zero...nada....not one of us or our children are violent. We are RESPONSIBLE, moral people.

Before you blow a gasket, one of my sisters has a PHD in Psychology, and one is a Social Service director. And both spanked, not beat, their kids. Because they DESERVED it!
edit on 1427321035Wednesday31Wed, 25 Mar 2015 17:03:55 -0500pmWednesday0350531 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Before smartphones there were under $600 desktop PC's with Internet access. Before cheap desktop PC's there were teenage girl magazines and peer group pressure. When everyone lived in terraced homes, the outside street was the "Internet", there wasn't anything you could without everyone else knowing about it.

It isn't the technology, it's the parents and the daughter. Many schools make information available online, and a lot parents want their children to have phones so that they can make emergency calls and send emails. When it comes to sending email and SMS calls, a large screen is much better than a single line display or 128x96 screen. But a phone can't do anything that a PC can't do.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LA1IMPALA
a reply to: Pinke i think your wrong. There was not much difference between my generation and my parents. I grew up in the 60's. Now just the ads on TV...all sex stuff,,.Tv and online kids are becomming complacent / calus to violence. I actually hope you are right though. To a lot of teenagers sex is like what a handshake was to me at the sane age.

Well violence has been on the way down, so yes the generations are certainly different but not in the way many baby boomers like to envision. The 70s is actually a water shed moment for when a lot of those things started to get better.

This thread is just another in a long line of examples of people using events of no statistical significance in the grand scheme of things to try to talk trash about changes they don't like in society. Did you know what mass shootings are nothing new? Did you know that the rate of them has been fairly standard despite the introduction of the 'spoiled generation'? Did you know that even unfound tribes have a history of mass shootings using bow and arrows?

To make a mockery of a Sigmund Freud quote, sometimes a homicide is just a homicide. Just because the media commands you, you don't have to make it part of some historical narrative about the fall of the sky.
edit on 26-3-2015 by Pinke because: Raaaaaaaanting

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight
I wouldn't use the phrasing of "horrible brat" to describe a teenager that intentionally tried to murder her own mother twice. But that's me...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: Ultralight
I wouldn't use the phrasing of "horrible brat" to describe a teenager that intentionally tried to murder her own mother twice. But that's me...

What phrasing would you use? Just curious

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph
Severely emotionally disturbed. Plus other things after I read her psyche evaluation.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

In your estimation was she born that way?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Would attempted murderer suit you better?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke I don't remember any high school shootings or mall shootings or work place shootings in the 50's or 60's or 70's or someone getting fired and going back and killing everyone. unfortunately the mass murder rate is going up

edit on 28-3-2015 by LA1IMPALA because: spelling

edit on 28-3-2015 by LA1IMPALA because: spelling

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Experience with emotionally disturbed children has been a large part of my life. I was raised in a long-term residential care home. Initially it was for foster kids who came from damaged homes (physical abuse, sexual abuse, drugs, etc), later we upgraded our license and took in medically fragile children. In my experience these kinds of profound emotional problems / psychiatric conditions arise from years of mistreatment during crucial years of development. I would sooner look at the general treatment from the parents themselves than I would technology and the proposed avenues that tech opens up that's detrimental.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LA1IMPALA
a reply to: Pinke I don't remember any high school shootings or mall shootings or work place shootings in the 50's or 60's or 70's or someone getting fired and going back and killing everyone. unfortunately the mass murder rate is going up

There are a number of reasons for that, and it's immensely complex.

1. Mass shootings receive about 5 times or more coverage (weighed in ink) in comparison to murders involving arson. That discussion took off around the 1980s and there was a claim of a mass murder wave starting in the 1960s. There was little evidence for this 'wave' existing, but journalists and others made completely unsupported claims that it was a modern phenomenon. There were mass murders in America in the 1930s for example, and they weren't that unique from the 1960s.

2. Mass Murder rates are going up when we select events for specific (and unjustified) criteria often based on the most unusual examples of mass murder. Many works that state that mass murder is on the way up dramatically rule out familicides and 'gang' violence. They make the claim that they focus on cases of 'indiscriminate' mass murder or mass murders in specific locations. The problem here is that the murder isn't 'indiscriminate' very often at all. The vast majority of 'mass shootings' are at least targeted towards certain demographics and often include one or more very specific targets. Furthermore, changes in our life style may have altered the locations of shootings, but how relevant is that?

Most 'media' studies isolate themselves to crimes involving specific weapons also. Arson and knives are ruled out, even if they reach double digit figures. Furthermore, attacks where a gun person uses an automatic weapon but kills under three people, despite clearly intending to slay more, are not even on the radar.

To give an idea, the most used studies in the media refer to around 20% of all mass murder incidents, and the media only tends to report 10% of all mass murder incidents with any weight. That means 4 in 5 mass murders are not being discussed at all in (inter)national media. Factors increasing the probability of mass murder reporting include the use of an 'assault' weapon, white people being involved, and taking place in an incredibly public location. Pre 1980 the topic wasn't even 'vogue.'

3.There are about 25 mass murders every year in America. There have been over 900 since 1972. That's still less than 0.5% of all homicides. The overall homicide rate has a trend going down in America. The sample size of mass murders is so small that a handful of incidents can make a huge difference, but in reality the difference between 4 less incidents and 8 more incidents is sadly not that statistically significant even if the events themselves are horrifying. As an example, some years may have 200 victims, a few years later it will be down to 140. There is no easy to follow trend. It's even less easy to follow when using the mass shooting narrative.

Even accepting a rise in incidents of specifically mass shootings, between 1970 and 2015 Americans have another 100 millionish residents. The increase appears in line with that increase I believe.

It would take some serious convincing for me to believe that the idea of mass murder as 'new' is anything but an urban legend bolstered by political baiting and modern media. There are many people who benefit from the existence of a panic regarding mass shootings when our resources should clearly be spent elsewhere like the other 99.5% of homicide incidents.

It sells papers. It militarizes police. It makes talk shows. It creates legislation. It gives politicians brownie points.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join