It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 year old girl attempts to poison mom for taking away her iphone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Whats a 12 year old doing with a cell phone?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
What the hell is wrong with society? Seriously. This is why you don't give kids smartphones. The human species is royally #ed if this is the future of our youth. Kids can't even form normal bonds anymore because they are living their entire lives online before they even hit puberty.

Can't argue that online life is impacting children, but ...

I don't believe there is an epidemic of children attempting to kill their parents because of the internet in Western countries. In fact, I don't believe there is a rise in the number of children per capita doing this, but I can guarantee every time it happens someone will use that event to grab a shovel and heap crap on the generation before them.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph
She's not going to get the help she needs in juvie. And who do you think is paying for that? The Mom she tried to kill. I wish she had taken the daughter right to the psychology depth of the hospital.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i have always been saying:
internet should only be for kids at 16+!
and only after education for risks and benefits of the internet.

the internet is a world full of adult speech, adult pictures and adult videos.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

People have killed their parents since the first human got pooped out of an ape like thing.

Sign of the times, obviously the smart phone is to blame?

Let's think about that for a minute. How many kids try to kill their parents when a piece of technology is taken away? Are we hearing about this on a regular basis? You think giving a kid a smartphone somehow makes a child more likely to kill their parent? Do you think that crime is skyrocketing? It's not, it's lowered a TON in the last few decades. Trying to blame this on a smartphone is idiotic.

Considering that trend in crime rates, I would say you are way off base. If anything, kids today are committing far fewer crimes and if you want to blindly draw parallels it's because of technology.

Now I do think that people need should be getting out more, but trying to pin this single sad incident on a parent or technology is just ridiculous. I will concede you have a point if you can show me that children are killing their parents and there is a direct correlation between those killings and smartphones, but I doubt you can.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

a reply to: Anyafaj

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to get a smart phone for a child. Yes, it's a good idea to give your children a cellphone so that they can contact you in case of emergencies, but they don't need to have unfettered access to the internet, snap chat, twitter, etc etc.

My daughter is only 4 but I know this will be a battle I will have to face in the future, and it wont just be her I will be fighting it with. Unfortunately I will probably have to deal with her mother as well. As far as I'm concerned, she can have a flip phone or something similar, and if in 10 years time there is nothing BUT smart phones, than I will either figure out a way to limit what she is able to do on it, or she will not have one under my roof. That simple.

For my daughter, with her autism, she doesn't rely on human contact. She hides in electronics. She has since she was very young, whether it was talking dolls, or a play cell phone that said one phrase, over, and over, and over, and over again. To tell the truth, she spends most of her time using her cell phone as an MP3 player listening to the songs I put on there that she requested. To my way of thinking, her listening to songs I approve of are a LOT better than her watching shows that have blood, guts, and swearing, that I don't like her watching. But that's just me.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Forget about the phone peoples!! E

This child is clearly mentally ill. Lets not even get into an adolescent brain and thought processes. This isn't normal I hope she gets mental help.

Clearly. Do you think she would find the help she needed on the internet? Maybe here at ATS?

IAM said this child was mentally ill and said they hope this child got help. Normally that is at a doctor's office, or at a Juvenile detention lock up psych ward, so where did you get online from "I hope they get help?"

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I am pretty sure smart phones do not turn your kids into killers , fat and lazy maybe . If my youngest fell out of a tree and broke his arm i would be more than a little concerned but a little part of would be saying . Yes i turned out to be a good dad .

I hope people get this .
edit on 25-3-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
She's not going to get the help she needs in juvie. And who do you think is paying for that? The Mom she tried to kill. I wish she had taken the daughter right to the psychology depth of the hospital.

They do have a juvenile locked down psych ward. When my daughter was spending the night at the ER, and the doctor had sent me home for the night, she had thought I left her for good, "like her daddy", her words. She freaked out and hit a nurse. The doctor went to the magistrate and got an order to have her sent to the psych ward for 30 days. Very secure locked down place. You couldn't take a dump in the place without getting having your bum get locked, unlocked, then locked back up again before you even have a chance to wipe! Needless to say she was thrilled to get out of there!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

That's odd, I don't recall saying that she'd find help in juvie?

Maybe if her mother was parenting her instead of letting the iphone do it for her, her MOTHER could have found her the help she needed?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

People have killed their parents since the first human got pooped out of an ape like thing.

Sign of the times, obviously the smart phone is to blame?

Let's think about that for a minute. How many kids try to kill their parents when a piece of technology is taken away? Are we hearing about this on a regular basis? You think giving a kid a smartphone somehow makes a child more likely to kill their parent? Do you think that crime is skyrocketing? It's not, it's lowered a TON in the last few decades. Trying to blame this on a smartphone is idiotic.

Considering that trend in crime rates, I would say you are way off base. If anything, kids today are committing far fewer crimes and if you want to blindly draw parallels it's because of technology.

Now I do think that people need should be getting out more, but trying to pin this single sad incident on a parent or technology is just ridiculous. I will concede you have a point if you can show me that children are killing their parents and there is a direct correlation between those killings and smartphones, but I doubt you can.

Smartphones have been around for all of what...15 years? I think you might be jumping the gun slightly by calling me idiotic. You might also have a touch of the douche. Give it a generation or two. You certainly have nothing to go on until then, so why use "declining crime rates" as an example?

Declining crime rates among what demographic? What age? What ethnicity? What class? Where is your evidence that kids today are committing less crimes, considering the child mentioned in the OP was only 12? Do you have statistics to support your narrative? I doubt you do.
edit on 25-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

a reply to: Iamthatbish

That's odd, I don't recall saying that she'd find help in juvie?

Maybe if her mother was parenting her instead of letting the iphone do it for her, her MOTHER could have found her the help she needed?

We don't know the entire situation to begin bashing the mother. For all we know she's separated from the father and the father is the one who bought the cell phone, not the mother. For all we know, when the mother went to discipline her daughter, her daughter pulled her little "stunt". Or whatever. You honestly do not know the whole situation. Until we do, we honestly cannot say, "That stupid mom! She got what she deserved for buying that kid a phone! If she had put her own phone down, she would have noticed her kid was mentally ill!"

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

We don't know the entire situation to begin bashing the mother. For all we know she's separated from the father and the father is the one who bought the cell phone, not the mother.

What difference does that make if the mother is the primary caregiver?

For all we know, when the mother went to discipline her daughter, her daughter pulled her little "stunt". Or whatever. You honestly do not know the whole situation.

True enough.

Until we do, we honestly cannot say, "That stupid mom! She got what she deserved for buying that kid a phone! If she had put her own phone down, she would have noticed her kid was mentally ill!"

Lets just say it's become a disturbing trend, and one which I have encountered personally. If you feel that children should be allowed to use smartphones with full internet access, that is your prerogative as a parent. I have seen firsthand the damage it can do to kids when both the parents and the kids are more interested in social media than they are in each other.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

My initial thoughts are that the developing of this aggressive behaviour is because all of us have a lot of our psychological personality founded upon early adoptive environments.

The brain, especially for it's early development over protects its chemical addiction.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Is that really what's going on?

I didn't get a cellphone until I was 16 and only then just for emergency purposes.

Now every 2nd grader has a smartphone. And they only experience the world from other people's accounts that they read on the Internet.

Personal experiences are what define a human being.

It's a dumbing down of society if I've ever seen it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

We don't know the entire situation to begin bashing the mother. For all we know she's separated from the father and the father is the one who bought the cell phone, not the mother.

What difference does that make if the mother is the primary caregiver?

For all we know, when the mother went to discipline her daughter, her daughter pulled her little "stunt". Or whatever. You honestly do not know the whole situation.

True enough.

Until we do, we honestly cannot say, "That stupid mom! She got what she deserved for buying that kid a phone! If she had put her own phone down, she would have noticed her kid was mentally ill!"

Lets just say it's become a disturbing trend, and one which I have encountered personally. If you feel that children should be allowed to use smartphones with full internet access, that is your prerogative as a parent. I have seen firsthand the damage it can do to kids when both the parents and the kids are more interested in social media than they are in each other.

If dad bought the phone, and the minutes with the internet access, then it would be on DAD, not mom. IF that were the case, then mom would just happen to be in the middle in this instance. Some kids like to play parents against the other. My sister used to try. It's just one instance.

All I'm saying is before we bash mom, we should have more details.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I think you might be jumping the gun slightly by calling me idiotic.

Well I wasn't saying you were idiotic, I guess you didn't understand. There were words.

You might also have a touch of the douche.

I like being clean.

Declining crime rates among what demographic? What age? What ethnicity? What class? Kids today are most certainly NOT committing fewer crimes. At least not in my neighborhood.

ALL demographics in the US. Crime has dropped. I want to say 40% since 1980.

My point here, is that technology is becoming more prevalent, but crime is dropping, and you're blaming a child's nuttiness on technology.

Also, kisses. I was merely pointing something out. If you want to twist panties, I'm afraid you'll be sad, I like it.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

You know I love you, Domo.

(I totally forgot to nominate you for the funniest ATS members thread! wtf!)
edit on 25-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
This all could have been avoided if Yahoo kept geocities up! Flashing gifs and midi music everywhere! I agree with a few posts on here that its not the Internets fault, its not the phone its social media. I was there back in the 90's with a 24k dial up as a child, playing my computer games and using chat rooms. As nothing was ever set in stone on these chat rooms so no one ever held influence, could promote or berate things.

Now BookFace is all over the interwebs I see more and more people head down walking around seeing if they have received more then 10 likes in the last 5 seconds or have been retweeted. I cannot shout too much as yes I do use SitOnMyFaceBook mainly for events and birthdays (terrible memory), also the fact that I love my fiancée with all my heart but damn she needs to stop spending 90% of her free time on it.

A little off topic I know, but this child would have had some sort of mental imbalance or say she was being bullied at school? This act of a mother trying to punish her child for what ever reason may have pushed the child over the edge. I never condone anything like this but there is always another angle as scroobius pip always says.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

my phone broke about a month ago, i had a droid ultra and had it in my back pocket. i was at a bar and was smoking out side and leaned/sat on a table and it snapped. (expensive) cheap POS.

i haven't decided to pony up the 150$ verizon wants for a replacement and honestly. its been really nice not constantly texting or fidgeting with it.

i went for a walk today and it was one of the first nice days where i live(upsate NY, rochester) and there was like NO one out side just being out side everyone's face was buried in there phone.

the only thing i miss is pandora.

im 30

remember to look up so you don't run into me.

edit on 25-3-2015 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join