It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 year old girl attempts to poison mom for taking away her iphone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Is this for real?

source

(Reuters) – Police on Friday arrested a 12-year-old Colorado girl accused of trying to kill her mother twice by poisoning her with bleach for taking away her iPhone, authorities said.

Boulder County Sheriff’s Commander Heidi Prentup said in a statement that the mother drank the caustic fluid on one of the two attempts, which both happened within a week this month.

On March 2, the girl poured bleach into a breakfast smoothie that she had prepared for her mother, Prentup said.

“Mom noticed an odor of bleach in the drink and thought her daughter had cleaned the glass prior to making the beverage and did not rinse all the bleach out,” the police statement said.

The woman, who was not named by the authorities, was treated at a local hospital and released.

Four days later, the girl allegedly poured bleach into a water carafe her mother kept in her bedroom. When the woman smelt bleach, she became suspicious and confronted her daughter.

“This is when she learned her daughter had developed the plan to kill her for taking away her iPhone,” police said.

What the hell is wrong with society? Seriously. This is why you don't give kids smartphones. The human species is royally #ed if this is the future of our youth. Kids can't even form normal bonds anymore because they are living their entire lives online before they even hit puberty.

I ran into similar behavior with my ex, who gave her oldest daughter a smartphone at the age of 11 (against my advice). Not even 2 years later she was displaying severe behavioral problems, and at 14 was flirting with bulimia, self harm, and other self destructive behaviors that were trending on internet groups instead of developing healthy social habits by ACTUALLY GOING OUTSIDE AND MEETING REAL PEOPLE.

I can only see this getting worse, as younger generations become accustomed to having unfettered access to the internet and subsequently provide it for their kids at even earlier stages of development.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

You can't blame technology because parents don't want to be parents anymore. There is a severe lack of competent parental figures in society these days, not to mention a wholly uneducated populace of sheep.

It's only going to get worse, as you said....
edit on 24-3-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
Is this for real?

source

(Reuters) – Police on Friday arrested a 12-year-old Colorado girl accused of trying to kill her mother twice by poisoning her with bleach for taking away her iPhone, authorities said.

Boulder County Sheriff’s Commander Heidi Prentup said in a statement that the mother drank the caustic fluid on one of the two attempts, which both happened within a week this month.

On March 2, the girl poured bleach into a breakfast smoothie that she had prepared for her mother, Prentup said.

“Mom noticed an odor of bleach in the drink and thought her daughter had cleaned the glass prior to making the beverage and did not rinse all the bleach out,” the police statement said.

The woman, who was not named by the authorities, was treated at a local hospital and released.

Four days later, the girl allegedly poured bleach into a water carafe her mother kept in her bedroom. When the woman smelt bleach, she became suspicious and confronted her daughter.

“This is when she learned her daughter had developed the plan to kill her for taking away her iPhone,” police said.

What the hell is wrong with society? Seriously. This is why you don't give kids smartphones. The human species is royally #ed if this is the future of our youth. Kids can't even form normal bonds anymore because they are living their entire lives online before they even hit puberty.

I ran into similar behavior with my ex, who gave her oldest daughter a smartphone at the age of 11 (against my advice). Not even 2 years later she was displaying severe behavioral problems, and at 14 was flirting with bulimia, self harm, and other self destructive behaviors that were trending on internet groups instead of developing healthy social habits by ACTUALLY GOING OUTSIDE AND MEETING REAL PEOPLE.

I can only see this getting worse, as younger generations become accustomed to having unfettered access to the internet and subsequently provide it for their kids at even earlier stages of development.

Ok, the problem is with the child, NOT the phone, for one. You have to ascertain whether or not your child is emotionally old enough to handle the maturity of dealing with a phone. Not every child who receives a phone attempts to poison their parent when they're grounded from said phone. My daughter is autistic, 19, emotionally 8-12 depending on the situation and survived the trauma of being grounded from her phone for a week without poisoning me, her father, any girl in her group home, or any of the workers who work in the home. She didn't even get physical and lash out at anyone.

Now the girl in this article was physically 12, but obviously not emotionally capable of handling this responsibility. That doesn't mean we can apply this thinking to all children.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think here you kinda have to blame the mom, not the technology. My daughter is 14 she has a smart phone, I did not buy it for her, her grandmother did. Anyway just this week she is smart phone-less because she (royally) messed up over the weekend. I am going to keep it for a week. She moaned and groaned but understands she messed up!

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Society made spanking children a no-no. Children learned shortly after that they have all the power and can cause the full force of the law and social services to come down on parents and people of authority over them. I know 3 different families that had to prove to CPS that they did not cause physical harm to their child. One of these kids intintentionally smashed their hand in a door and went to school crying how her dad tried to break her hand for touching his wallet.

Kids now are unrecognizable and not children of the 60S or 70s. the age of innocence is truly over.

How do you be a mother to a daughter who attempted to kill you...twice???

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: WhoDat09

Did grandma ask you for permission to gift the smart phone to your daughter?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Parents have limited discipline options nowadays.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The mom is probably on her own phone 24/7. "I learned it by watching you!"

Don't give portable internet connections to your kids. That's stupid. And be conscious of your own usage in front of them. They record everything you do and use it as a reference point for their own behavior.

Monkey see, monkey do.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Not a smart phone no, she asked if she could get her a "phone".

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
In my case, it was a family friend who gave my daughter a phone for her birthday last year with no minutes on it. She had asked me first if it was ok, but I told her I was going to buy one anyway, so I was ok with it. Now all I needed to purchase was minutes and reactivate the phone. So my friend actually saved me money. Until I activated the phone, I had downloaded some games to it, and put some music on it. That way she could use it to play games and listen to her favorite songs until she was able to call me, her dad and the rest of the family. Once I activated, she was texting me often, but I was smart and got her unlimited because I knew when she visits me, she is constantly borrowing my phone to text my brother, sister, father, and her dad.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: WhoDat09

Of course I blame the mother and not the technology. Technology itself is completely harmless. It's what people choose to do with it that matters. In this case, the 12 year old was probably accustomed to having an iphone for however many years.

I thought I'd made my own thoughts clear in my OP, but maybe not. I do not think that kids are emotionally adjusted enough to live their lives on the internet before they've even hit puberty. Unfortunately, it seems to have become a trend, and I know this from firsthand experience.

Preteens with iphones are the norm, not the exception, and this case demonstrates why that is so frightening. I also think it has massive implications for future generations that we can't even comprehend (and won't, until decades down the road). We are just now starting to see the fruits of such "parenting", and I suspect it will only get worse.
edit on 25-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
These gadgets are becoming an extension of our... everything. Nobody is going to be able to stand being "disconnected."

Mine will be coming to this age soon. I think I am probably going to stay clear of controlling his smart device. No sense trying to be old school, there is no going back without an apocalypse.

These phones are soon going to be some sort of device that is universal and eventually required somehow. We all know it is coming.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
My nephew comes over, parks it on the couch, wants the TV on and doodles on his moms cell the whole time he is here. He likes the commercials between the cartoons. He's about the same age.

There isn't any point trying to convince someone this is not good for him, they don't seem to think theres anything wrong with it.

cringe

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to get a smart phone for a child. Yes, it's a good idea to give your children a cellphone so that they can contact you in case of emergencies, but they don't need to have unfettered access to the internet, snap chat, twitter, etc etc.

My daughter is only 4 but I know this will be a battle I will have to face in the future, and it wont just be her I will be fighting it with. Unfortunately I will probably have to deal with her mother as well. As far as I'm concerned, she can have a flip phone or something similar, and if in 10 years time there is nothing BUT smart phones, than I will either figure out a way to limit what she is able to do on it, or she will not have one under my roof. That simple.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Oh IA with you there. Kids don't even know how to walk down the street and look around them anymore, they are all looking down at their phones. They don't even know how to talk to each other anymore, the other day I was sitting outside and there were four teenagers walking down the street ALL of them phone in hand, looking down at the phone. Told my hubby, I bet they are texting each other!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

I completely agree, the parental paradigm has shifted into "do what thou wilt" as long as you don't bother me while you're doing it. I know I'm exaggerating, but I feel that's the ultimate direction it's taking, which is why I refuse to have children in this world. I don't want them growing up in this filthy society.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Forget about the phone peoples!! E

This child is clearly mentally ill. Lets not even get into an adolescent brain and thought processes. This isn't normal I hope she gets mental help.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Mine will be coming to this age soon. I think I am probably going to stay clear of controlling his smart device. No sense trying to be old school, there is no going back without an apocalypse.

I find such a defeatist attitude somewhat depressing. So because you feel the tide is coming in, you are unwilling to stand on the beach?

I hope you change your stance on this. Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your own child, but if you agree that exposing children to smartphones and internet access at such a young age can be detrimental to them, why do it with your own?

I know there will always be the argument that they can do it somewhere else. That much is true. They will be able to use their friends phones at school or at their houses, etc. That isn't really the point though. It's the principle, and when a persons only method of disciplining their child revolves around a smartphone, they are already in trouble imo.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Forget about the phone peoples!! E

This child is clearly mentally ill. Lets not even get into an adolescent brain and thought processes. This isn't normal I hope she gets mental help.

Clearly. Do you think she would find the help she needed on the internet? Maybe here at ATS?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

This is why you don't give kids smartphones.

That 12 year old girl's problems didn't originate with her iPhone, man. It's not technology. Something deeper is the root of this issue. Something she inherited genetically from her parents, or something inherited through terrible parenting..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join