It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Introduces Bill to Repeal the Patriot Act

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

WOW. A Rep & Dem with an actual great idea....interesting.

Now if only they could get their parties to stop being lead by Progressives and stand for something again.....other than Govt control.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
Thank you to the representatives who spearheaded this. You have proven us delightfully wrong about "everyone in government".

Not unless it passes and then you have to wonder, why? Their political handlers ALWAYS have an agenda. I would predict that if it does pass, there will be a false flag shortly after of incredible proportions. Which will be followed of course by even more draconian measures.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

well I was a little optimistic. I know. I cant help but cheer up over good news. I know deep down inside that nothing much will change but a force for good is always somewhere in the mix. It may be an underdog but I wont lose faith that things will be made better. I wont give up on that one guy sitting in a government job just biding his time until he can do the good he has in his heart. HE has my undying loyalty and respect.

Who knows. Maybe this will get passed and the false flag to follow will be stopped by a random trucker from north Carolina dozing off at the wheel and slamming into a limo carrying the key conspirators on their way to say "go". LOL

Something. Who knows....All it takes is one mistake and an ever vigilant person in the right place and time to react.

I will stay faithfully optimistic, if nothing happens, I will be defiantly optimistic.

Something has got to give.

Have a good one.
Hold it down.

edit on 3 25 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
double
edit on 3 25 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

well I was a little optimistic. I know. I cant help but cheer up over good news. I know deep down inside that nothing much will change but a force for good is always somewhere in the mix. It may be an underdog but I wont lose faith that things will be made better. I wont give up on that one guy sitting in a government job just biding his time until he can do the good he has in his heart. HE has my undying loyalty and respect.

Who knows. Maybe this will get passed and the false flag to follow will be stopped by a random trucker from north Carolina dozing off at the wheel and slamming into a limo carrying the key conspirators on their way to say "go". LOL

Something. Who knows....All it takes is one mistake and an ever vigilant person in the right place and time to react.

I will stay faithfully optimistic, if nothing happens, I will be defiantly optimistic.

Something has got to give.

Have a good one.
Hold it down.

I will be angrily optimistic so we cover all the bases.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
From cursory inspection, it seems this doesn't repeal the entire Patriot Act. It doesn't have anything to do with indefinite detentions in places like GITMO, drone strikes, or eavesdropping on allies. It seems to basically make sure that your email and text messages are private here at home.

The BIG problem and elephant in the room no one is addressing has to with all the programs and agencies that have sprung up around and because of the Patriot Act. These things can't just "go away". Are we getting rid of body scanners and the TSA?

I'm glad people are talking, but this is nothing more than a publicity stunt and a neutered bill to garner votes.
edit on 25-3-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Showmanship..once they take something from you they seldom give it back, I think this has a snowballs chance in hell.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
From cursory inspection, it seems this doesn't repeal the entire Patriot Act. It doesn't have anything to do with indefinite detentions in places like GITMO, drone strikes, or eavesdropping on allies. It seems to basically make sure that your email and text messages are private here at home.

The BIG problem and elephant in the room no one is addressing has to with all the programs and agencies that have sprung up around and because of the Patriot Act. These things can't just "go away". Are we getting rid of body scanners and the TSA?

I'm glad people are talking, but this is nothing more than a publicity stunt and a neutered bill to garner votes.

Seems pretty complete to me though I am by no means opposing your completely justified skepticism.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF USA PATRIOT ACT.

(a) Repeal- The USA PATRIOT Act (Public Law 107-56) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

(b) Destruction of Certain Information- The Director of National Intelligence and the Attorney General shall destroy any information collected under the USA PATRIOT Act (Public Law 107-56) and the amendments made by such Act, as in effect the day before the date of the enactment of this Act, concerning a United States person that is not related to an investigation that is actively ongoing on such date.

edit on 25-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The thing is, and entire industry has been created due to the Patriot Act. Just stripping the verbiage from the law books isn't going to make these go away.

I'm still going to have my crotch grabbed at the airport, and Stingray cell site-simulators are going to be used by local police departments. Technology that wasn't available before the Patriot Act isn't going back into Pandora's Box.

All the extra security cameras that have been installed aren't going to be taken down.

All the NSA has to say is "National Security". This is probably why this is even being introduced, they're going to get the information they want anyway.
edit on 25-3-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I am mostly interested in removing the legal justification for using any data for criminal prosecutions subverting our 4th amendment rights.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As I said before ..

All I See the Patriot Act as ..

These Two Acts Combined ... a Update...

Enabling Act of 1933 ( Nazi Germany )

International Security Act of 1950 ( Communism, McCarthyism, aka Red Scare House Un-American Activities Committee)
( instead of Communist it's Replaced with Terrorist )

IT Caused This Dont Forget !

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

your dreaming if you think the nsa and cia and fbi are going to roll back any of the security measures.
Frankly, judging from the way Americans like to massacre each other and butcher people in far away lands - i think these kinds of laws are nessecary

You mean the government recruiting a bunch of people to get shipped overseas to fight in a war they started makes government spying on citizens necessary??? Wut???

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz
As I said before ..

All I See the Patriot Act as ..

These Two Acts Combined ... a Update...

Enabling Act of 1933 ( Nazi Germany )

International Security Act of 1950 ( Communism, McCarthyism, aka Red Scare House Un-American Activities Committee)
( instead of Communist it's Replaced with Terrorist )

IT Caused This Dont Forget !

Nailed that post!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It was bipartisan support that brought the patriot act to life in the first place!
It was bipartisan support that got it renewed in 2006!
And again in 2011!
Now they repeal it!?!
This all sounds awfully familiar.

Sorry to sound pessimistic here but it all seems like a ploy to either get votes or distract from something else.

Mustn't forget most of these people supported this bill whole heartedly for the last 14 years!

Every time the two sides agree on something it's usually the worst for us. The average tax paying American citizen. In this case it will most likely fall flat, and it's being used to manipulate or misdirect us in some way shape or form.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
It was bipartisan support that brought the patriot act to life in the first place!
It was bipartisan support that got it renewed in 2006!
And again in 2011!
Now they repeal it!?!
This all sounds awfully familiar.

Sorry to sound pessimistic here but it all seems like a ploy to either get votes or distract from something else.

Mustn't forget most of these people supported this bill whole heartedly for the last 14 years!

Every time the two sides agree on something it's usually the worst for us. The average tax paying American citizen. In this case it will most likely fall flat, and it's being used to manipulate or misdirect us in some way shape or form.

But, this is all three of us agreeing.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Snowball's chance in hell. Would be awesome, though.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I hope it get's passed! However I find it unlikely. As others have said it's not like the government would stop it's infringement on our rights even if it was repealed. Look at the CIA, doing shady stuff since it's inception way before the PA.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I believe it will come very close at the very least. Members of the house I am sure are tired of being blackmailed every session by their handlers who employ stooges in the NSA to specifically get dirt on every member of congress to force them to play ball, and pass bills.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: greencmp

No arguments from me.

I originally supported the Patriot Act if for no other reason than that spying on U.S. citizens was occurring anyway.

The means apparently was using Canadian, British and Australian agencies to do the spying for us and visa versa then exchange the information amongst themselves.

Unless that loophole is closed, this act will be easily circumvented.....

There had to be one who supported it......there is always one.

I have asked this before but your name is not George Bush or Dick Cheny is it?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

It's good news. Maybe there'll be an honest, rational debate? That alone will make the Bill a worthwhile pursuit.

On the negative side, we wouldn't know about the surveillance state if Snowdon hadn't blown the whistle. It'd still be paranoia and speculation.

So how will anyone ever know if it's rolled back? We can't know.

It's like a ratchet or toothpaste out of the tube. It can't be rolled back without losing out on strategic and political advantages. It won't ever be put back in the tube and ratchets only ever move forward.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join