It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Introduces Bill to Repeal the Patriot Act

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Rep. Mark Pocan and the rest of his Dems are too far in the minority to get this thing to pass. Neocons have a firm lock on the House. Having a few junior Repubs on it won't help when the upper echelon in the House are the ones that ushered in the Patriot Act in the first place.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I have a feeling this is a "bread and circus" distraction to appease the masses.

It won't pass, or if it does won't really do anything. My spidey senses tell me this is a feel-good, "hey we're doing something positive, look at us!" publicity stunt.

What is important about it to me is the broad agreement between Republicans, Democrats and Libertarians on a major issue.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Well, it makes everyone look good -- regardless of party. This is one of those no-brainer things to jump on board with to pander to your constituents. I for one am not at all surprised it has bipartisan support.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

And it puts the topic into the national 'conversation' even if it doesn't achieve results.

I also would rather them waste time trying to do something constructive and failing than continuing to succeed to tear down our constitutional rights.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

You just raised a good point: most Americans aren't talking about the Patriot Act anymore.

Who knows, perhaps this will start some new dialogue. I've found that unless the talking heads on the 24 hour news networks are talking about it, the public forgets about it.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Do you rally believe this administration would comply with this when it's passed???

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
Do you rally believe this administration would comply with this when it's passed???

While I don't expect our intelligence agencies to stop performing the dragnet surveillance that they have been doing ever since the second world war, I just don't want to give it the legal authority to do so.

We cannot allow our government to circumvent our constitutional rights under any circumstances. The data they collect is being used to pursue civilian criminal prosecutions with data collected wholesale without cause.

There is no possibility that any actual enemies will be overlooked if our intelligence gathering agencies play by the book with respect to American citizens. And, in the end, if some wild eyed agent needs to push the envelope and do something unconstitutional to save us from a genuine threat, I am sure there is a Jack Bauer out there ready to fall on his sword.

We do not all need to fall on our swords.
edit on 24-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

About freakin time! Does this means I won't have to talk to my TV anymore??? I just know the NSA has turned my 55inch tv against me in the name of surveillance.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
From what I can see, this may be the most positive bill to be proposed in Congress in my lifetime.

While I agree 100% that the Patriot Act needs to go, I have severe doubts as to whether the proposed bill will go anywhere but some dusty, cluttered shelf in D.C., if not the circular filing cabinet.

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Come on..DO YOU believe Goerge Bush would of either?

The partisans of this country worry me...as they dont seem savvy enough to know when both sides of the coin are HEADS

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

The Patriot Act is nothing more than utterly against the ideals this coutry was founded on...Im surprised with people

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

The Patriot Act is nothing more than utterly against the ideals this coutry was founded on...Im surprised with people

I hope you're not "surprised" with me. If you are, then you've misinterpreted the meaning in my post.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Those who would say this will not work, the Neocons will block it, the President won't sign it, yada, yada. To do nothing will do exactly what? It is the moral obligation of every free thinking human being to try and restore human liberty and hold our government accountable for their human rights abuses done under the color of this abhorrent law.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

There will be many that will fight this by "We need to be protected" and "Think of the children".

To this I say..."Traitors and Cowards".

Jude11

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

No arguments from me.

I originally supported the Patriot Act if for no other reason than that spying on U.S. citizens was occurring anyway.

The means apparently was using Canadian, British and Australian agencies to do the spying for us and visa versa then exchange the information amongst themselves.

Unless that loophole is closed, this act will be easily circumvented.....

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Outsider from Canada and I am just posting to wish our Southern Neighbours all the best with this bill. I hope you folks find what your looking for and it works out in the end for you all. That is my feelings and good luck.
Only post I will make here.

Many Regards, Iwinder
edit on 24-3-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I didn't intend it to be partisan. I do believe, however, Obama makes Bush look like Mother Teresa.....

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Again, no argument from me.

Just watch out for the lip-service bill where nothing really changes. These guys are politicians afterall......

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Anyone that believes that the government would cease spying on the population, if this bill passes, is deluding themselves.

The point is that this is a step in the right direction, and should be supported.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Not at all
I rather relish your submissions

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join