It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cuba Wraps Up Practice for Potential U.S Attack.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The Cuban government completed a week of military defense exercises geared toward twarthing a potential attack from the United States. The past week saw Cuban Military practicing drills such as firing rockets, practicing drills such as putting on gas masks with civilians. The Cuban Government stated that their week long exercise was a success and that they are ready for any attack from the U.S.
The events were named the Strategic Bastion 2004 Exercise

ap.tbo.com
Thousands of Cubans took to the streets, taking their prearranged places under the doctrine of "The Peoples' War," in which every citizen, young and old, participates in the defense of the country.

Children were sent to schools early Sunday to practice duck-and-cover drills. Civilians performed shooting exercises in makeshift ranges as well as conducted first aid drills and putting on gas masks. Factory workers ran for underground shelter during evacuation drills.

Work groups gathered to discuss how to guarantee food, water and health care for the population in the event of an attack, as well as to plan evacuations, arrange security for personal property and set up a system for getting information to civilians.

State media reported that a total of four million Cubans participated throughout the week in the exercise, which began Monday and was the biggest of its kind on the island in 18 years. International news organizations were not given official access.

Cubans from defense organizations that include much of the general population participated as well as defense forces of the Interior Ministry, which oversees internal security.

Defense Minister Raul Castro, who oversaw the operation, toured several sites to motivate participants.

"There are Cubans of every color, making up a precious rainbow, but all have the same language, purpose, ideal: that unity is our most powerful weapon," Castro told civilians in Havana, according to Sunday's edition of Juventud Rebelde, the Communist Party's youth newspaper.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can understand Fidel Castro's paranoia, since many American Cuban dissidents support the Bush Administration, and a few have been appointed to the Administration, but practicing a full blown military exercise with the sole enemy being the United States seems a little delusional to me. At this stage of the game, you would think the United States has bigger and more pressing problems than a old dictator near his end.

[edit on 12-19-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
What natural resources does Cuba have that we would need? There is no oil there I suppose. I don't think there is any reason for the US to attack them. I think the US is satisfied enough with alienating them using propaganda.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Besides Fidel being paranoid, he certainly isn't reasonable. Cubans risk life and death to flee that nation, and he thinks they'll all rise and fight for him and communism?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is Fidel Castro hallucinating again....Wake up, Fidel, you dont have anything this government would want....

Stop trying to make yourself feel important....

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Castro is on his last leg.
The trip he took recently has definitely scrambled what sense he had left.
"Potential U.S. attack"?
You mean the one he has been expecting since the Bay of Pigs fiasco?
Not likely.
Policy of containment has worked quite effectively against his regime. My only regret is the people of Cuba who desire a better way of life having to continue to feel the results of such a policy.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I think Castro is just on denial, he wants attention because he knows that his reign is coming to an end.

I don't thing that it would be allowed in Cuba for the perpetuation of Castro's legacy.

Perhaps he feels that US will intervene in case some other dictator tried to take over after he is gone.

Who knows.

new topics

top topics

join