It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IS lays waste to 4th Century Iraqi Christian Monastery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this...

I figured regardless of religion, this is human history.

IS destroy Monastery

Summary- IS destroys a 4th century Christian Monastery in Northern Iraq called the Mar Behnam Monastery. It contains "one of the most valuable Syriac libraries in existence."

They preserved Syrian calligraphic writings... "Syriac calligraphy presenting the genealogy of Jesus from the Gospel of Matthew, dating back to the 17th century, was also reportedly preserved in the monastery."

When will this madness stop...

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: shieldmaiden

When they are destroyed.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Only when Jesus returns, they kill us, or they are killed off.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's Deja Vu and a repeat of the Christian destruction and/or burning of all things considered 'pagan'. Religions have a habit of destroying anything the most devout followers disagree with.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Remember that time, 5 minutes ago... when the conquistador's burned all that Mayan stuff?

It really is a nasty cycle.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

It is the "morale equivalency defense" and it is getting pretty old. The points below neatly sum it up.

saberpoint.blogspot.com...

1. Since other religions have also done evil things in the past, we should feel no moral outrage against ISIS for mass murdering Christians, Kurds, Shiites, beheading helpless captives, and burning a captured pilot alive.

2. (The Left wants us to believe) We have (somehow) inherited the ancient sins and the guilt of our ancestors, and because of this, are unworthy of moral outrage. Therefore, we cannot take any actions to stop Islamic barbarism in the here and now. We must accept our deaths, because it is ISIS's turn to murder people; it's only fair, after all. With any luck we will meditate on our shameful guilt before the scimitar separates our heads from our necks.

3. Because of point #2, Obama is off the hook for doing nothing substantive to stop ISIS, and may not be criticized for the failure, nor for cuddling up to the Muslim Brotherhood and other radical Islamic groups.

The left seeks to substitute moral ambivalence for moral clarity. In the process, they weaken our will to survive evil.

edit on 24-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
They're hiding something. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Why is this political? I could care less about political spin.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Why is this political? I could care less about political spin.

Is what it is.

Those pushing the moral equivalency argument happen to be on the Left.

How many conservatives do you know are spouting this non-sense?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

By moral equivalency you mean what exactly?

I don't think any of the actions by either the Spaniards or ISIS to be right, are they equally dumbasses sure, do I agree with one or the other no. How do you know people that think and feel one way or the other tend to be on "the left" who made you the expert?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I can read.

Go check the Huffington ComPost or any other leftest rag. Pretty obvious.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: shieldmaiden

I say we post large groups of heavily armed anti-ISIS groups around any ancient religious artifacts.

ISIS shows up, blow them to smithereens. Priceless artifacts saved, ISIS dead. Win-Win

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I'm really glad that isn't going to be the military plan for those countries involved in fighting ISIS. Breaking them up to surround sites of historical value would make those soldiers particularly easy for ISIS to pick off.

There is no solution other than a general uprising of Islam against ISIS. Only then will the work be short and easy.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
For a quasi-terror group supposedly fighting for survival against Syria, Iran, Iraq, the Kurds and the US of A, they seem to have a lot of free time to blow up non-military targets like Assyrian bull statues and ancient monasteries. It's almost like they're a joke not taking any of this seriously.

Then again, they give every appearance of being a false group propped up by the West to ensure an ever-escalating cycle of war in the ME.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

What happens when ISIS has reached the end of the road, whether by being triumphant or defeated, and Jesus doesn't show, Armageddon doesn't kick off, and there are no chosen people ascending to heaven or living in a paradise on Earth? What then?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: shieldmaiden
I wasn't sure where to post this...

I figured regardless of religion, this is human history.

IS destroy Monastery

Summary- IS destroys a 4th century Christian Monastery in Northern Iraq called the Mar Behnam Monastery. It contains "one of the most valuable Syriac libraries in existence."

They preserved Syrian calligraphic writings... "Syriac calligraphy presenting the genealogy of Jesus from the Gospel of Matthew, dating back to the 17th century, was also reportedly preserved in the monastery."

When will this madness stop...

When will it stop? It won't, its a business model, but hey, there's a silver lining in every cloud. All the Progressive anti-Christians will be dancing in the streets!

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
All the Progressive anti-Christians will be dancing in the streets!

Thing is, it isn't Christians destroying things this time, although the iconoclastic practice has been utilized by many religions and non-religious political powers as well.

What made early pagan Rome great was allowing differing religions to co-exist within conquered lands, but what eventually brought it down was a determined effort to eradicate anything but a state-sponsered religion. That desire to eradicate is what split the Roman Empire into two separate parts... Christian in Europe and Islam beyond the Bosphorus. We're still dealing with that schism.

There's a lesson in there: Allow freedom OF religion and refuse to discriminate politically.

That goes for ISIS as much as China, Iran and America. The world would be so much better if everyone would just (have) stayed out of people's hearts and minds.
edit on 24/3/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/3/15 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So is this like the last hoax where it was proven that isis wasent destroying ancient monuments.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Maybe... want to go into ISIS held Syria & Iraq and find out?

Personally, I'd stay out of there for now. We'll see what happened after the cordite and dust settles down in about a year or so.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

No need after the last fake outrage only time will tell.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join