It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Comes to Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Not really a conspiracy on its own I know, but it comes on the heels of another newsworthy item, namely this..

Government wants internet filter to combat piracy

Cracking down on piracy at the same time Netflix, and other streaming services entering the market?

Smells a bit fishy to me.

No evidence of someone(s) lobbying the governmet to help clear the path of these new services, just a hunch.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Their plan to "crack down on piracy" is going to fail dismally. Anyone with half a brain and a slight knowledge of how to use a computer (I would venture that to be 100% of downloaders) will just sign up for a VPN or Usenet.

Personally I think Netflix coming to Oz was a long time coming, we need rivals to Foxtel here, but I don't think it will do much to stem the tide of piracy considering the offerings by Foxtel, Netflix, Stan and Presto are seriously lacking and still way behind the rest of the world.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Also, the library for Australian Netflix is one of the largest in the world.

For some reason there are way less restrictions on content by area in Australia, making licensing deals for content much much easier to achiever.

Australia customers will expect to see about 1.5 times the content for approx twice as long as the American/Canadian or UK counterparts.

Somebody posted the entire library on Imgur the other day and it's mind boggling. They even have AAA titles like The Hobbit, the Desolation of Smaug and such.

The Australian Gov has no reason to help netflix increase profits by curbing piracy. Since they do not share in any kind of profit.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

It's not just Netflix though, there are others coming too, one owned by Fairfax and one by Foxtel.

These groups would certainly like to see piracy curbed I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Also, I swear I read that the Netflix Australia library was quite restricted compared to America..

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Also, I swear I read that the Netflix Australia library was quite restricted compared to America..

Yes, the Imgur image only showed something like 1100 titles in Australia compared to over 7000 in the U.S.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I don't pirate their puerile garbage and I certainly don't waste money on their puerile garbage. Who wants to watch another cop/serial killer/hero criminal/lovey dovey vampire piece of crap? Seen it all by the 1970s and certainly the 1980s. Use the money for something else like a mind expanding holiday.
edit on 24-3-2015 by Macdon because: Add more

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Macdon

There are so many other shows out there that don't cover the minority of topics you describe, and many of us enjoy watching them.

I guess TV and Movies aren't everyones cup of tea though, watching paint dry isn't mine either.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Netflix launched in Australia and New Zealand today, but it seems the local content isn’t as plentiful as its US counterpart.

One blogger, Sydney software developer Kenneth Tsang, crunched the numbers and discovered the Australian version has a little over 1000 titles, compared to the 8499 titles the US streaming service offers.

He’s compiled a spreadsheet listing all the available titles here.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I've heard those are just the initial launch titles and starting in the next month, they should ramp up that content exponentially.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Yes, I expected that the title list would grow over time.

I still don't believe it will have much of an impact on piracy Down Under though.

edit on 24/3/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Be on the lookout for an internet awesomeness for everybody bill, I hear they ain't all they are cracked up to be.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Yeah hell no, that won't do a damn thing to curb piracy.

TBH, most people who pirate, also pay for Netflix. It's just more convenient. If there was better licensing deals that allowed more digital content to be on streaming, monthly paid services, that would decrease the pirating.

As of right now, the pirating of digital media like movies actually helps the movie industry as it increases product sales and merchandise.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Australia customers will expect to see about 1.5 times the content for approx twice as long as the American/Canadian or UK counterparts.

Interesting!

TBH, most people who pirate, also pay for Netflix. It's just more convenient.

This is true. I know quite a few people personally who would be willing to pay a lot more than $10 for the convenience of streaming new releases too.

According to statista.com, in 2014 the US film industry's revenue was $31.8 billion. Netflix reportedly has over 50 million subscribers worldwide and that's just one streaming service. Quick back of the napkin math, the film industry could generate $31.8 in revenue by having the same number of subscribers as Netflix with each paying $53 per month.

It's not hard to imagine people flocking to a streaming service and paying considerably more than they do for Netflix if it meant no more waiting months until after a movie's theatrical debut for DVD/streaming releases and access to a substantially larger catalog. It's like the Qwest commercial "All rooms have every movie ever made in every language, any time, day or night."

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

According to statista.com, in 2014 the US film industry's revenue was $31.8 billion. Netflix reportedly has over 50 million subscribers worldwide and that's just one streaming service. Quick back of the napkin math, the film industry could generate $31.8 in revenue by having the same number of subscribers as Netflix with each paying $53 per month.

Agreed. I got rid of all my cable services in lieu of streaming.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Total cost about 50$ a month. Still a 50% or more saving from my TV services and I have more content, without commercials.

top topics

join