It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus A320 crash in Southern France

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

More people died, but the number of accidents compared to the number of total flights was a record low.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyteeny
i watch flights online fairly frequently, i've never seen one deviate over water towards high altitude landmass unnecessarily. it should've taken the flight path indicated, so why did it veer so far off course... something's not right

rip the passengers and crew

www.bbc.co.uk...

Likely a sudden decompression.

everyone unconscious or dead and the plane flying on its own.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyteeny

I doubt they were supposed to take the direct path(dashed line) identified on that picture in the link. Airlines hardly ever fly direct, let alone in busy airspace during a very busy time of day.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

nevertheless they take a much more direct route than the route indicated so far.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is ADS-B data from the transponder obtained from Flightaware. It shows them reaching cruise for a few minutes before beginning an erratic descent:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyteeny

No, they don't. The 4 out of the past 5 flights before this one have taken the same routing. It's likely that the path out over the water is a filed departure procedure in use.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Just heard It on the radio in the states, no survivors expected.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ragsntatters

OMG how sad. I see the French PM said no survivors expected - I hope he is wrong but what a terrible experience to live through. My heart goes out not only to the people who were on the plane and their relatives but also to the many involved in the sad work of dealing with the wreckage and the horror of the crash.

I do believe that instead of all these cuts for an economy that doesn't serve even the word economy in the world today, we need investment into a lot of things including our aircraft maintenance. Safety should be a prime issue - not that I am suggesting the the owners of the plane have neglected their obligations for safety but with business so cutthroat this is the cost of this policy I am sure.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Just heard on CBC Radio: The passenger plane hit a mountainside at 2000 Meters altitude.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Some flight path information.

30 displays a rapid descent, followed by a steadier rate.

According to a French spokesperson there was no emergency call made from the cockpit.

France24 also claim to have the black boxes.

www.france24.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

A German passenger jet has crashed in the French Alps with all 148 passengers and crew feared dead.

The Airbus A320, operated by the budget airline Germanwings, was en route from Barcelona to Dusseldorf when it vanished from radar screens at 09.39 local time.

Flight GWI18G came down near Prads-Haute-Bléone, between Digne-les-Bains and Barcelonnette, north-west of Monaco.

It was flying at 6,800ft at the time, suggesting the wreckage is located 6,800ft above sea level on a mountainside.

Francois Hollande, the French president, said no survivors were expected to be found, after two gendarmerie helicopters flew over the crash site.

11.42 A witness has told French radio station Europe 1 that "the plane was flying lower than normal".
11.41 The crashed Airbus A320 was 24 years old.

11.05 The crashed plane had been used recently for flights between Spain, Germany, Britain and Austria, according to FlightRader24. It flew to London Heathrow from Dusseldorf and back on Sunday afternoon.
Its details are:
• Type: A320-211
• Airline: Germanwings

edit on 24-3-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

WTF is going on these days ???

People have less money.
Travel and tourism is affected.
Airlines lower their prices (budget flights).
In order to maintain profits they cut back.
Non-essential maintenance is delayed or abandoned.
Planes experience more problems due to loss of staff and lack of money spent on maintenance and standards.
Planes crash.

The same thing can be seen in all kinds of industries. Lack of money and lower profits means corporations have to cut back somewhere, and this will inevitably affect safety and standards.

Of course, we don't know the reasons for this crash yet, but it's likely to be mechanical or technical failure.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
According to a French spokesperson there was no emergency call made from the cockpit.

Other sources are saying there was a distress call made from the plane:

According to sources quoted by AFP news agency. plane had issued a distress call at 10:47 (09:47 GMT).

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
So, we have people saying there was NO emergency call.from the flight, yet another source, AFP, say there WAS at 10.47.

Here in Spain they're saying there was a call from the cabin announcing problems before the crash.

I hope theres nothing to cover up.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith

Looking at the flight track it seems to have transpired as follows:

9:30 UTC - 38,000 ft, descent begins just coming past Marseille
9:41 UTC - Aircraft is at 6800 ft over the alps (which are generally higher), telemetry ceases

www.flightradar24.com...

My thoughts are with the families and friends of those involved, we can only hope there are some survivors :-(

Edit to add:

It was approaching 'Tête de l'Estrop' which Wikipedia says has an elevation of 2961m which is just over 9700 feet. So about 300 feet higher than the aircraft was flying. Why was he flying so low? Can we see if he was squawking 7700?

Edit again:

Actually I get notifications from flightradar24 if any aircraft squawks 7700 and there isn't one. I can't remember if there is anywhere we can look to see if they squawked another code?

It seems so odd they would descend like that but I don't know the normal flight plan. Perhaps they were incapacitated and the autopilot became disabled?

Does anybody know at what point did they squawk 7700 ( I dont know if that has been officially confirmed yet ). Flight radar seems to show just as they got over coast of France they started to decsend quickly, but kept a relatively straight course

link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

While no expert if a mayday sent I would agree mechanical failure if no mayday sent plane may have exploded can someone with more education on this tell me did the plane come down at a quicker descent rate than just loss of controls/power/engines

link   

Sky News are saying for the plane to have descended at such a rapid rate is unprecedented.

Possible massive structural failure?

Given our communication capability's these days one has to wonder we don't stream live feed from our commercial aircraft considering it would certainly make tragedy's such as this one far more understandable.

edit on 24-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kuhl

No. The descent rate is not indicative of an out of control airplane.

link   

originally posted by: ragsntatters
a reply to: maddy21

I think the airlines may be cutting costs and not maintaining the planes properly in the interest of the bottom line. They're probably also hiring average pilots at a pittance. Weather looks good enough out there. Currently weather is clouds and sun and it's about noon there. Suspect many people on board were young backpackers so am extra saddened that they have been snuffed during their prime

More likely, they hit a patch of strong turbulence over the mountains, and the plane starting losing altitude.

Every component has a serial number and log history. Metalwork is inspected for microfractures or metal fatique, and critical components like wheels and engines are frequently replaced. This is a short-haul flight so it's unlikely the pilots were tired

www.bbc.com...

"The airline has an excellent safety record with no previously reported accidents. The average age of its Airbus fleet is just over nine years old, though flight 4U 9525 was a 24-year-old A320."

link   

originally posted by: ragsntatters
a reply to: maddy21

I think the airlines may be cutting costs and not maintaining the planes properly in the interest of the bottom line. They're probably also hiring average pilots at a pittance. Weather looks good enough out there. Currently weather is clouds and sun and it's about noon there. Suspect many people on board were young backpackers so am extra saddened that they have been snuffed during their prime

More likely, they hit a patch of strong turbulence over the mountains, and the plane starting losing altitude.

Every component has a serial number and log history. Metalwork is inspected for microfractures or metal fatique, and critical components like wheels and engines are frequently replaced. This is a short-haul flight so it's unlikely the pilots were tired

www.bbc.com...

"The airline has an excellent safety record with no previously reported accidents. The average age of its Airbus fleet is just over nine years old, though flight 4U 9525 was a 24-year-old A320."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join