It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

User fakes suicide to see how the Facebook suicide prevention tool works, lands in mental asylum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Source: www.techworm.net...

Snippet:

Shane Tusch faked his suicide in an attempt to test the authenticity of Facebook suicide prevention tool and got detained for 72 hours Facebook has rolled out a set of tools to keep a check on its users who are having suicidal tendencies and prevent these users from suicidal attempts. In case some user is having suicidal thoughts and mentions that in the Facebook posts and if a friend of that user reports it to Facebook then a third party will immediately review the post and Facebook would lock the suicidal user’s account and the user will be made to read Facebook’s suicide prevention materials.Text

I think some testing of the limits of a given system is called for but this does not seem like an unlikely outcome of this guy's little experiment here. I think a bit more research like looking before you leap would have been in order. Now he is on the gov radar as a nutter. Brilliant!

edit on 03am2015-03-24T03:16:15-05:0003163America/Chicago16331 by machineintelligence because: Syntax challanges

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Starts with suicide prevention, ends with dissident detention.

you are being watched.
edit on 3/24/2015 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

There are some things you don't just "experiment" with....Suicide hotlines would be one....Fire alarms/bomb threats would be another...I can think of a few, but why would someone do this?? Facebook is a billion dollar business, you don't think they have their own people who researched this before rolling it out? Some people's kids just amaze me, then they cry about what happened to them like someone else targeted them or something....This is 100% THIS IDIOTS FAULT!!! IMO, of course....

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Starts with suicide prevention, ends with dissident detention.

you are being watched.

Mental health laws do not allow for the police to make a determination on whether a person is in fact suicidal or if he is not. That is reserved for medical staff.

CAL. WIC. CODE § 5150 : California Code - Section 5150

(a) When a person, as a result of a mental health disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace officer, professional person in charge of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment, designated members of a mobile crisis team, or professional person designated by the county may, upon probable cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody for a period of up to 72 hours for assessment, evaluation, and crisis intervention, or placement for evaluation and treatment in a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment and approved by the State Department of Health Care Services. At a minimum, assessment, as defined in Section 5150.4, and evaluation, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5008, shall be conducted and provided on an ongoing basis. Crisis intervention, as defined in subdivision (e) of Section 5008, may be provided concurrently with assessment, evaluation, or any other service.

My home state has a similar law, except here an involuntary detention can last up to 4 days. Notification to the courts that a person is being involuntarily held is required. Individuals held have their own version of "Miranda", which allows them to speak to a lawyer, refuse drugs before court appearances, etc etc etc.

Law Enforcement, just like any other mandated reporter, is required to act. Failure to act can lead to legal consequences and potentially a person ending their life. The information he posted meets the criteria, completely, to be taken to a hospital and evaluated. Absent a direct message, like this guy posted, the act / comments about suicide would have to be heard by another person, who would then fill out the affidavit.

Not everything is some damn conspiracy and this guy certainly is not a dissident.
edit on 24-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

"Hey! I was just kidding!"...can land you inside in a nano-second. Let the system test the system!

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

"Hey! I was just kidding!"...can land you inside in a nano-second. Let the system test the system!

it would be like boarding a flight and then yelling this is a hijacking just to test police response. His inability to see the consequences of his actions underscores just how bad of an idea it was to test facebook.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This has already been posted a few days ago here.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Now he's really going to commit suicide. Why? Cause they're going to treat him like complete sh*t there.

I went to a children's hospital (the kind where people need help for suicides, mental illnesses, or other issues) for the dumbest thing all thanks to my idiot mother. That place was dreadful. I have no idea how they're helping people who actually need help there because it literally made me think about breaking through their windows and jumping out from the tall building (and I am 100% not a suicidal person). I was discharged in a week luckily. Then like a year later my idiot mother ended up in one and came crying to me when she got out, forgiving me for putting me in there. I left her and moved in with my dad

I feel bad for this dude and hope all turns out well. As long as he complies with them (even if it's against his will or something), he'll make it out soon.

/rant

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

it would be like boarding a flight and then yelling this is a hijacking just to test police response. His inability to see the consequences of his actions underscores just how bad of an idea it was to test facebook.

But, the analogy is flawed, if myface doesn't save you from yourself and you manage to kill yourself, a plane isn't destroyed with lots of innocent people.

At what point is someone else responsible for your actions?

Can you sue the state for not preventing a suicide?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

There you go....FBook is a bad idea to begin with!!

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

The analogy does stand.

In both you have one individual taking an action in order to test security measures without thinking it though to what happens once you started the test.

Personal accountability lies with the person doing the testing. In the airplane analogy you have a criminal charge. In the facebook incident you have what is essentially a civil arrest.

In both instances if police / facebook / airline had not responded to what occurred people would be demonizing them just the same for inaction.

edit on 25-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: greencmp

The analogy does stand.

In both you have one individual taking an action in order to test security measures without thinking it though to what happens once you started the test.

Personal accountability lies with the person doing the testing. In the airplane analogy you have a criminal charge. In the facebook incident you have what is essentially a civil arrest.

In both instances if police / facebook / airline had not responded to what occurred people would be demonizing them just the same for inaction.

I mean that, from the perspective of the beneficiaries of security services (the public), preventing catastrophic attacks is warranted. I think we differ on whether protecting people from their own will of action is also the responsibility of public security services.

If you are proposing a new sanity police force, I most definitely disagree.

new topics

top topics

join