It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New law allows WI police to take DNA samples of suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Even if you are NOT convicted of the crime, they can still take your DNA

A new state law in Wisconsin goes into effect on April 1 that allows police to collect DNA samples from people who have been convicted of misdemeanors, and those who are suspects, but have not been convicted of a crime.

Under current Wisconsin law, every convicted felon has to submit a sample of their DNA (via swabbing the cheek), regardless of the relevancy or non-relevancy to their conviction.

Wisconsin authorities claim the DNA samples will only be taken from suspects when there is probable cause in serious cases, and if the suspects are not convicted, then the DNA samples are supposed to be destroyed after one year.

Now if anyone believes the DNA will be destroyed after a year, I have a bridge in London for sale you can have. I understand taking DNA for rape felonies, murders, things like that, but just being a suspect??? Can you imagine just HOW much DNA they will acquire??? Seriously, all they have to do is think you looked at them funny, claim suspect, take your DNA, hold you for 48 hours and let you go, BOOM, now you're in the system.

For me, this is about as Orwellian as we can get. I remember 19 years ago when my daughter was born, stories of taking newborns DNA to add to the "system", now back then, it was just stories and rumor. I can think of a gazillion ways for abuse with this. And we just handed it to them on a silver platter. Unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It has being happening a lot longer than you probably want to imagine.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj
Hi Again Anyafaj...same here fro about 10 years in Michigan. Awhile back they began to do that if you were arrested. They cross referenced old cases unsolved with case-evidence in cold cases using the DNA for blood, semen, skin samples, hair etc....

Again as I said before....another way to keep tabs on us...this one...though seemingly violating a persons rights...seems like a good idea for solving cold cases.

MS

edit on 23-3-2015 by mysterioustranger because: splckr

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Yeah - go Scotty go.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Recognize America anymore??

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The state of Maryland only allows paternity tests to he admissible in court if you go through them and allow the results trouble remain on file indefinitely. Too many men were getting cheaper tests done and not having their DNA on file I guess. They certainly stopped that.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I really have no problem with my DNA on file . Years ago here in Australia the govt attempted to get the Australia card up and running . I believe it had your DNA and fingerprint details aas well as DOB address etc . Personally i was all for it but it failed to get passed . Perhaps one day as part of your licence . Break the law its either walk or drive and get caught .

You dont break the law and there is nothing to worry about .
edit on 24-3-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Hi Again Anyafaj...same here fro about 10 years in Michigan. Awhile back they began to do that if you were arrested. They cross referenced old cases unsolved with case-evidence in cold cases using the DNA for blood, semen, skin samples, hair etc....

Again as I said before....another way to keep tabs on us...this one...though seemingly violating a persons rights...seems like a good idea for solving cold cases.

MS

See I can legally allowing it in some cases, but as a catch-all, No go for me. it can definitely lead to quite the slippery slope, not to mention, the amount of abuse I can see happening.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Recognize America anymore??

Not in the slightest.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I really have no problem with my DNA on file . Years ago here in Australia the govt attempted to get the Australia card up and running . I believe it had your DNA and fingerprint details aas well as DOB address etc . Personally i was all for it but it failed to get passed . Perhaps one day as part of your licence . Break the law its either walk or drive and get caught .

The problem isn't about you breaking the laws or not, but the authorities breaking the laws. Planting evidence on innocent people is common place for NY cops for example. Your DNA could be switched out for evidence and then your innocent butt will be up the creek. You'll be made guilty with the power of absolute scientific DNA proof if they are having trouble finding the real perp. That BS about having nothing to hide is only as good as the cops are honest.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Now if we could just get them to actually process all those rape kits sitting in storage....

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
Now if we could just get them to actually process all those rape kits sitting in storage....

As the phrase goes, "From your lips to God's ears...." The amount of backlog rape kits are staggering! And not just one city, but the US in general. As a survivor, it angers me.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Dumb and forgotten laws in Australia:

If you're in Victoria and you're not an electrician and you change your lightbulb, you're a criminal.

In Queensland, taxis are required by law to carry a bale of hay in the boot of the car.

In Brisbane, you must sweep the footpath outside your home daily before 8:30am or face a $5,000 fine, with an increase of $500 for each additional day.

Those are examples of ridiculous laws and shows how easy it is to be criminal........ and get your DNA confiscated.

Are you a criminal??????

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

Dumb and forgotten laws in Australia:

If you're in Victoria and you're not an electrician and you change your lightbulb, you're a criminal.

In Queensland, taxis are required by law to carry a bale of hay in the boot of the car.

In Brisbane, you must sweep the footpath outside your home daily before 8:30am or face a $5,000 fine, with an increase of $500 for each additional day.

Those are examples of ridiculous laws and shows how easy it is to be criminal........ and get your DNA confiscated.

Are you a criminal??????

Since this law goes into effect April 1st, in Wisconsin, I looked into laws that are idiotic specifically in that state. Here are some stupid ones you can be arrested for and have your DNA taken and put into the system for if cops wanted to get frisky.

It is illegal to cut a woman's hair.

The government may not prohibit manual flushed urinals.

The state definition of rape stated that it was a man having sex with a woman he knows not to be his wife.
(Boy a LOT of politicians are gonna be in trouble! I'm surprised they haven't fixed this law yet! LOL)

It is illegal to throw rocks at a railroad car.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

The problem isn't about you breaking the laws or not, but the authorities breaking the laws. Planting evidence on innocent people is common place for NY cops for example. Your DNA could be switched out for evidence and then your innocent butt will be up the creek. You'll be made guilty with the power of absolute scientific DNA proof if they are having trouble finding the real perp. That BS about having nothing to hide is only as good as the cops are honest.

To add: What if a Wisconsin State Senator does not agree with a bill and is speaking out against it. Let's say the Senator's nephew was held with probable cause in a "serious case", dna was taken and the nephew was later acquitted. How difficult would it be for a political opponent with the right connections to threaten convicting the Senator's nephew of a different crime, they did not commit, if the Senator does not change their stance on the bill? Made possible because the nephew's dna is on file.

In essence, the will of the people can be subverted because someone who was innocent has their dna in the hands of the state for a crime they did not commit.

In the words of Dolly, the first cloned sheep, "This is ba-a-a-a-ad"

edit on 24-3-2015 by Ettenurb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ettenurb

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

To add: What if a Wisconsin State Senator does not agree with a bill and is speaking out against it. Let's say the Senator's nephew was held with probable cause in a "serious case", dna was taken and the nephew was later acquitted. How difficult would it be for a political opponent with the right connections to threaten convicting the Senator's nephew of a different crime, they did not commit, if the Senator does not change their stance on the bill? Made possible because the nephew's dna is on file.

In essence, the will of the people can be subverted because someone who was innocent has their dna in the hands of the state for a crime they did not commit.

In the words of Dolly, the first cloned sheep, "This is ba-a-a-a-ad"

There was actually one town where aDemocratic Candidate in KY was pulled over for something innocuous, next thing he knew, he was being arrested for a waaaaay overdue library book from 11 years ago.

Masters is getting sympathy from an unlikely source: Drew Curtis, who is running to be Kentucky governor as an independent candidate. He suspects Masters could have been set up by a competitor, but admits he has no proof.

“I’ve seen no evidence of political dirty tricks, but it seems strange that police would drive around looking for missing library books,” Curtis told HuffPost.

So obviously there are all sorts of ways cops can go sideways, even with DNA.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

If you're in Victoria
]

In Brisbane

In Queensland

Lucky i live in South Australia then .

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I can't agree with this, ever.
The laws change all the time- and they're rarely written to keep the peace.

Laws don't determine what's right and wrong. I've "broken the law" doing the right thing- and even paid fines for it. Should I now have my DNA put on their file?

The state of things in this world is disgusting. I'm tired of being treated like a bad guy when I do no wrong.

new topics

top topics

join