It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banks are being told to call the cops if someone attempts to withdrawl $5000!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

You can use your debit card at Walmart or the post office to purchase money orders. I get mine at the post office to save from taking out cash from the bank.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Bank Secrecy Act

Nothing new here, people. As someone mentioned this has been around in one form or another since 1970 and amended a few times, including as part of the Patriot Act.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
If you want to avoid these problems the simple answer is to use a small, locally-owned bank and as another poster suggested, get to know the people who work there. If you live in a small town you will probably already know those people. Independent, locally-owned banks are also more likely to have cash on hand. I've never been asked to wait for cash nor ever questioned about withdrawal of large amounts (as in thousands, not 10s of thousands). They know that my daily dealings are in cash.

I HAD a local bank, then they closed the branch in my town and I had to travel 50 minutes to go to the bank every time. When I moved to NC, my sister had me get set up at her big bank in her town. Ok, no problem. When I moved to MI, the big bank was in my new town as well. Again, no problem. Unfortunately, when I moved to PA, it was a small town, and the nearest bank was 5 hours away, so I'm forced to find a no surcharge ATM, even though MY bank still charges for not using THEIR ATM, but what can you do. I have my direct deposit going to my bank, and as tempted as I am to switch banks, (some have a deal going where if your direct deposit, after 3 months, of staying, the bank will deposit $100 into your account.) Quite frankly I can use the $100, but it's a one time deal. BOA gave me the same deal for leaving Citizens Bank. Plus I got an extra $50 for using my sister as a reference.

My dilemma is do I switch banks again, or keep my old bank? Most of my family uses my old bank and our accounts are linked. If they wish to send birthday money or Christmas, they don't send gift cards through the mail that can get stolen or lost, they just transfer funds into the account, and I do the same.

As much as you WANT a local bank, you can't always guarantee your bank WILL be local, especially if you tend to move a lot, like I do. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

So when the cops show up, what's the charge? Attempted acquisition of ones own money? How are they criminalizing this so that it falls under any police department's jurisdiction?

I honestly have no idea, but I'm sure they'll come up with something unique.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I would be very ticked and likely wind up in jail!!

You're telling me! I would be too! I'd be in jail for trying to get my money, with extra time thrown in for "civil disobedience".

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe

You can use your debit card at Walmart or the post office to purchase money orders. I get mine at the post office to save from taking out cash from the bank.

Not at this one here! I already tried. They refused to take it. Same as the post office. You need cash for a money order, they refuse to accept a debit card. The ATM is a few steps away from them, it costs me $3.00 at the banks ATM, plus $2.50 at MY bank for using the other bank ATM, plus $.50 for the money order, so $6.00 to pay my rent once a month.
edit on 3/24/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

"Hell, I can go into the bank without Id or bank card and get money if I have forgotten my wallet, even in another city "

That's scary. Where's the security?
I can't even go into my own branch and take money out without my bank card. Every withdrawal or transfer needs the bank card and pin number.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I heard the same story here about 2 years ago. I went to my bank, cell phone recording and withdrew 3k. I wanted to have some cash stored at home anyway so what a perfect story to checkout and perhaps, catch on film. They asked what denominations, handed me the cash with no issues. I pretty sure it's not what you're thinking.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

As far as personal goes, I only put enough in my account to cover the bills for the month. They don't pay enough interest to make not having instant access worth it.

Agreed, I did a thread many moons ago on the banking scam
www.abovetopsecret.com...
And in there is this statement of truth which occurred when we tried to remove some funds from our personal account.

Then the wife asked the teller how much interest has my 15K earned in the last 3 years.....good on the wife because the teller just shrugged and looked like a deer caught in the headlights at night.

Your Post is bang on the bucks:-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

So when the cops show up, what's the charge? Attempted acquisition of ones own money? How are they criminalizing this so that it falls under any police department's jurisdiction?

Excellent point I always thought cops were called because of a crime?
Maybe they are trying to justify all those armored vehicles they drive now whilst all dressed in black including the Jack Boots. Could be all those gizmos they got for free (surplus) actually had a price tag on them?
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 24-3-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

US and few other countries like Germany and UK are on the brink of bankruptcy

All this cash control is symptom of a very terminal disease

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Is this verified? I the Justice Dept. is making such "recommendations", that's messed up! There are good and valid reasons that a bank teller might want to watch for something off, such as a person in distress, who might WANT police help, but there is no justification for calling the police for someone making a legal withdrawal from their account. There are many reasons someone might do that, and those reasons are their own business. The banks should not be asked to be mind readers, or to assume a crime when one isn't obvious (such as a robbery), and report probably innocent people to the police.

As for the banks not having the cash on hand, I call BS, to use the Texas term. I worked as a teller, and a $10.000 change order was the norm. The bank had insane amounts of cash on hand daily, and the vault was opened all day, every day. I could have easily handled a check for $5,000, most of the time. Other than looking for obvious signs a person might be being coerced, we didn't worry about it, either. $10,000 meant a form to the IRS, but that was it. I can't imagine being told to call the police because someone wanted their own money!

I agree with whoever it was that said the point is probably to further discourage cash usage, so they can track all we do.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj i dont think they can stop you fromwithdrawling your own money....just when you go over 5k the bank calls the fefs. Car dealers have been doing this for more than 25 years when you pay more than 10k cash for your new car.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Any place that has financial transactions such as wire transfer, money orders, pre-paid debit cards/gift cards has to fill out a SAR when any person makes a transaction of a certain amount. It's lower for them, too, like $3,000. It's mandatory and the actual clerk can get into trouble in regard to the Patriot Act/ NDAA.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LA1IMPALA

Car dealers have been doing this for more than 25 years when you pay more than 10k cash for your new car.

So just to be clear, you mean in bills right? I bought my car new and payed "cash". As in I went to the bank after I was finished haggling, bank wrote a check made out to the dealership, I gave the dealership the check, and they delivered my car to me when it arrived the next week.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's interesting to consider how banks came into existence to begin with. It was impractical to carry around and accurately pay for goods and services with gold and silver and also keeping your gold and silver in your home made it vulnerable to theft....so banks became a way to use your "money" more easily and provided more security from theft. People were willing to pay a fee for this service and banks had the ability to lend money to people, basically with other people's money, but in exchange they earned "interest" because it was in fact their money being used to generate profit for the bank. So far so good really, it provided a way to build business's and communities.

Banker's had a good deal right? I guess not good enough because the temptation to keep money that wasn't really their's to begin with, corrupted the whole system. Greed at it's worse !

edit on 25-3-2015 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This is very disturbing to me. I thought it was ridiculous that they were required to fill out a form for 10K! That just isn't much money, in reality. Now I need to worry if I want as little as 5k "in aggregate" ....? Over what period of time? We vacation often and buy and sell cars occasionally and concern about me wanting MY 5k seems bizarre.

We do not use credit cards at all as we refuse to be in debt for something we can't afford in the first place - and now I will be in trouble for accessing my cash? Ridiculous!!
edit on vam03p49Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:49:57 -0500am309 by vampira309 because: added info

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I pulled out 8k a few years back to buy a car (that car sucked, for the record- never again will I buy a german vehicle) and they gave me a hard time- but I got the cash in the end.

I walk in there about once a month. My pay is direct deposited, but I get expense checks every month that need to be deposited. I make a point to go in and see the tellers- I never recognize any of them, but they don't seem to have any problem with me.
Any even that ends with me walking out of there with cash in hand requires a state issued photo ID and a signature.

Last year, I decided that I should have cash on hand (banking hours suck, and sometimes you come across a cash deal on the weekend) and started pulling it out. I pulled it out in $1000 increments, about once a month when I was in depositing other checks.
Not sure if it got flagged as suspicious, but it was a heck of a lot less nonsense than when I tried to pull out 8k all at once.

My real problem with all of this is when the local police straight up steal your cash from you.
I'm sure most of you saw the threads on this some months back. If not, simply punch "police seize cash" into any search engine and enjoy your rage.
As if it's not enough that the people in charge are keeping track of what you do with your money (as well as keeping you a slave to working for said money) but they also have a system in place that if you have money on you that they can't keep track of, it might just get taken away.
Enjoy your freedom

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
I bought a car cash for 7600 dollars a few years ago. I just called ahead and asked the bank if I could do it. Conversation went something like I was on the right track to doing such a transaction.
I think it's more of a way to deter people from just spontaneously going into the bank and withdrawing thousands of dollars on a whim. First off it's weird, second why would you carry that amount on you? Third, some banks don't even have a float of that much cash sitting outside the vault which is most likely on a timer to open twice a day.

This is a good case of better be safe then sorry. If you want to have thousands of dollars at your disposal at all times hoard all your money under the mattress. Otherwise just follow the rules, you chose the bank they didn't force you to use them.

Are you reading comprehension impaired or something. That's fine when the bank is choosing to institute a policy, it's the same as the airports CHOOSING to implement security. No problem. Some airlines will implement it, others won't, you can choose.

When the govt MANDATES it, you can't choose to not do business with that bank and it becomes a human rights/property rights issue. The govt has been gradually implementing a series of changes in both law and societal perception that there are no property rights and that owning property is a privilege granted to you by the govt.

That is so far from constitutional it's ridiculous. Imminent Domain, is not constitutional, search and seizure without a warrant or immediate reasonable cause to suspect a specific crime has been committed is NOT constitutional.

God, some of you shills sicken me with your willingness to accept subjugation.

Jaden

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join