It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Official Government Programs That Studied UFOs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Some interesting reading in this lot about government UFO investigations and official organisations such as CRIDOVNI, GEIPAN, CEFAA and the OIFAA - Canada's Project Magnet, Russia's Setka MO and America's Project Bluebook, Sign and Grudge also get a mention (apparently 'the CIA, the DIA, and the NSA also conducted independent UFO investigations but the files either remain classified or redacted').

Also brought up are incidents like the very bizarre Captain Huertas case, the Colares UFO flap, the Drury affair and Socorro police case so it's well worth a read on a rainy day.

10 Official Government Programs That Studied UFOs

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15f68d9aada1.png[/atsimg]

UFO lore has been one of the most exciting and recurring elements in modern mythology, inspiring public fears, wild theories, and pop culture with stories of extraterrestrial visitors flying over our heads. These strange sightings have been reported by individuals all over the world, and the possibility of a cosmic threat to national security has led a number of countries to seriously investigating the matter over the last century.

Link

Relevant ATS threads:

Hostile UFO Encounters: Colares, 1977
Peruvian Air Force pilot shoots at UFO.
The Socorro Incident revisited
Peruvian Air Force to open Department studying UFO reports
Oz X-Files : “authenticated sighting”, “appear to be inexplicable”, USA “very interested"
Interview with Colonel Ariel Sanchez, Chairman of CRIDOVNI.
French UFO Files English Translation Site
UFO Britannia: Part 2 – World War Foo & Post War Cover Ups
Canadian PDFs – “At no time should it be made available to the public” + more official memos
UFOs in Chile - BAVE's Rodrigo Bravo Garrido on Pilot UFO Cases.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Great quote

The first GEIPAN Director Yves Sillard, former Assistant Secretary General for Environmental and Scientific Affairs for NATO, defended the serious study of UFOs on Radio France International:

“I think that the Americans practice on the subject much higher efforts of investigation than those of any other country, they practice a deliberated policy and had deliberately orchestrated misinformation. It is total misinformation. What for? Is it the fear to see their supremacy challenged if one day they face a much more advanced external civilization? Is it their concern of keeping potential technological assets to themselves? Or . . . or any other explanation, who knows?”

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

they practice a deliberated policy and had deliberately orchestrated misinformation. It is total misinformation. What for? Is it the fear to see their supremacy challenged if one day they face a much more advanced external civilization?
I think if it came out through official channels that aliens existed and have visited Earth and/or are here now it would cause mass panic around the world. I guarantee Washington dc would come to a standstill as people poured in panicking trying to find answers. No one would go to work , possibly riots ...etc.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: LA1IMPALA

they practice a deliberated policy and had deliberately orchestrated misinformation. It is total misinformation. What for? Is it the fear to see their supremacy challenged if one day they face a much more advanced external civilization?
I think if it came out through official channels that aliens existed and have visited Earth and/or are here now it would cause mass panic around the world. I guarantee Washington dc would come to a standstill as people poured in panicking trying to find answers. No one would go to work , possibly riots ...etc.

The day will come when all this UFO propaganda has gotten so
pervasive, that 90% of people will say, "Well I told you so!",
without batting an eye lash.

Of course that doesn't mean that stereotypical UFOs' exist,
simply that the mass mind conditioning has been completed.

“All warfare is based on deception."
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"We have met the enemy and he is us."
― Walt Kelly (Pogo Comic Strip)

Kev

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Really is an interesting quote that mate and he's not the only one to suspect that.

Was surprised to see Brazil wasn't on the list though (Argentina or Ecuador either) but it is quite nice to see a factual, non-hysterical article on the UFO subject once in a while.

"Just been re-watching the CEFAA transmissions after following the NARCAP link in your sig - great stuff.

LAN Flight 045, Puerto Montt, Chile, June, 1988:

Punta Arenas, 3rd March 2011:

DAP12 Telephone Report:

More

a reply to: LA1IMPALA

LA1IMPALA, that is quite possible in the short term mate (don't think there'd be much in the shops) and Victor Marchetti also raised that point back in 1979.

"We have, indeed, been contacted - perhaps even visited - by extraterrestrial beings, and the U.S. government, in collusion with the other national powers of the earth, is determined to keep this information from the general public.”
"The purpose of the international conspiracy is to maintain a workable stability among the nations of the world and for them, in turn, to retain institutional control over their respective populations. Thus, for these governments to admit that there are beings from outer space... with mentalities and technological capabilities obviously far superior to ours, could, once fully perceived by the average person, erode the foundations of the earth's traditional power structure. Political and legal systems, religions, economic and social institutions could all soon become meaningless in the mind of the public. The national oligarchical establishments, even civilization as we now know it, could collapse into anarchy.”
"Such extreme conclusions are not necessarily valid, but they probably accurately reflect the fears of the 'ruling classes' of the major nations, whose leaders (particularly those in the intelligence business) have always advocated excessive governmental secrecy as being necessary to preserve 'national security."

Victor Marchetti - Former Special Assistant to the Executive Director of the CIA, May 1979.

UFO Statements

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

"We have, indeed, been contacted - perhaps even visited - by extraterrestrial beings, and the U.S. government, in collusion with the other national powers of the earth, is determined to keep this information from the general public.”
"The purpose of the international conspiracy is to maintain a workable stability among the nations of the world and for them, in turn, to retain institutional control over their respective populations. Thus, for these governments to admit that there are beings from outer space... with mentalities and technological capabilities obviously far superior to ours, could, once fully perceived by the average person, erode the foundations of the earth's traditional power structure. Political and legal systems, religions, economic and social institutions could all soon become meaningless in the mind of the public. The national oligarchical establishments, even civilization as we now know it, could collapse into anarchy.”
"Such extreme conclusions are not necessarily valid, but they probably accurately reflect the fears of the 'ruling classes' of the major nations, whose leaders (particularly those in the intelligence business) have always advocated excessive governmental secrecy as being necessary to preserve 'national security."

Victor Marchetti - Former Special Assistant to the Executive Director of the CIA, May 1979.

UFO Statements

the preceding lines from the article:

There are many myths, few facts, and much speculation about what the CIA knows of the UFO phenomenon. These, combined with the public's distrust of the clandestine agency, have led to a strong popular belief that the CIA is at the center of a government-wide conspiracy to cover-up the truth about UFOs. It usually follows that the cover-up is designed to keep us ignorant, or at least confused and doubtful, about contacts or visitations by intelligent beings from outer space. Thus, if we only knew what the CIA knows, and is covering up, we would be better able to understand and deal with aliens. And that would be a good thing.
I do not know from my own firsthand experience if there are UFOs. I have never seen one. Nor have I seen conclusive, empirical, or physical evidence that they really exist. But, I do know that the CIA and U.S. Government have been concerned over the UFO phenomenon for many years and that their attempts, both past and recent, to discount the significance of the phenomenon and to explain away the apparent lack of official interest in it have all the earmarkings of a classic intelligence cover-up.
My theory is that...

full article

i get the impression that certain elements within us intelligence want people (or some people) to think that aliens are here and they know all about it - working with them even

personally i'm not convinced

i think it may, at least in part, be an attempt to channel/control 'dangerous' religious/cultic tendencies by 'controlling the narrative'
edit on 24-3-2015 by aynock because: filled out

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
How many where investigation possible unknown craft in thier airspace and how many were looking for visiting aliens?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

i get the impression that certain elements within us intelligence want people (or some people) to think that aliens are here and they know all about it - working with them even

i get the impression that certain elements within us intelligence want people (or some people) to think that aliens are here and they know all about it - working with them even so that they will say "They're trying to make us believe in aliens but we're not falling for it." And then they won't believe and won't know that we are working with them.
edit on 24-3-2015 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
How many where investigation possible unknown craft in thier airspace and how many were looking for visiting aliens?

I think you're on a promising track, when you add in that many of these areas were where Soviet spacecraft in orbit conducted maneuvers of interest. It wasn't just over the USSR, where major flaps since the 1960s seem to track back to specific missile and space operations, or around the Soviet border, where high-altitude missiles can be seen a thousand miles away. A special class of military satellites launched from Plesetsk would circle Earth halfway and then fire the last stage engine to throw the payload high over the Northern hemisphere, then purge excess fuel -- and the circular cloud was regularly seen in the skies of Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay, right under its flight path. Naturally, military intelligence agencies wanted to see those eyewitness reports -- and to avoid the Russians realizing they were gaining important operational characteristics from them.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

Well obviously they were investigating the former, but maybe they kept their minds open and didn't dismiss any possibilities?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Don't forget the U.S.'s --- NRO [National Reconnaissance Office] --- which I believe is also enmeshed in these UFO investigations.

edit on 25-3-2015 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86

Don't forget the U.S.'s --- NRO [National Reconnaissance Office] --- which I believe is also enmeshed in these UFO investigations.

More accurately, perhaps, involved in investigating UFO reports, which as we realize, contain far more interesting information than just 'about true UFOs' [if ANY of that]

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Interesting thread Karl especially what the Soviets said:

Running parallel to the Setka program were investigations by the KGB division overseeing the air force and aircraft manufacturing, which collected UFO reports. Various programs were launched in reaction to the UFOs, including training missile crews who sighted a UFO to avoid acting in a way that could produce an aggressive response.

According to retired FSB major general and Academy of Sciences researcher Vasily Yeremenko, an experiment to attract UFOs began in the early 1980s after it was noted that the phenomena appeared during periods of “heightened tension” such as weapons tests and the movement of military equipment. By moving large numbers of combat aircraft or equipment, balls of light would appear in the sky.

Source : Your Link Listverse

This "phenomena" they seem to be talking is something that dates way back to foo fighters in WWII. Possibly has links to Operation Mainbrace in the early 1950s (along with other other military exercises and conflicts).

But the phrase highlighted makes me wonder. In late 1980, the Soviets were twitchy about the Polish Solidarity movement and were amassing troops and hardware along the Polish border. NATO had moved the majority of it's A10 tankbuster squadrons from Bentwaters in the UK to the front line NATO air bases in West Germany. Then in the dying days of 1980 the Rendlesham forest incident happened.

There's possibly nothing to it of course but that phrase "an experiment to attract UFOs began in the early 1980s " does make you wonder.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear what ?

new topics

top topics

join