It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So many dead Soldiers, Rumsfeld can't sign all the condolence letters himself!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Rumsfeld signature rubber stamped on condolence letters

WASHINGTON, United States (AFP) - A new wave of criticism is set to hit US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld after he admitted did not personally sign Pentagon condolence letters to families of soldiers killed in Iraq and that a signature stamping device had been used instead.

story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/usiraqmilitaryrumsfeld
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this is a total descrase for those who have lost a loved one in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Rumsfeld is a very busy man, you can't really expect him to sign every letter can you?

A rubber stamp machine??

The poor guy is over worked, The stress of holding a pen and signing letters is just too much to expect.

I wonder who keeps the ink in the machine?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
in the name of christ, we lost more men in a single hour storming the beaches. we took over a whole country from a senile dictator with a fetish for horribly torturing his people for eccentric BS. your argument is null.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
Rumsfeld is a very busy man, you can't really expect him to sign every letter can you?

Yeah I agree with you, to many to count anymore, I wonder who sing the condolence letters to the Iraqi victims of war.

A rubber stamp machine??

Yes they do use a stamp, during the first gulf war I was one of those to used it for official letters while working for family services, actually they do have many stamps with different officials names.

The poor guy is over worked, The stress of holding a pen and signing letters is just too much to expect.

Actually he does not really sing any of them personally at all, is a staff that does that for him.

And for being over worked well all he does is give orders. Right?

Perhaps the feelings of guiltiness is what is over working him.

I wonder who keeps the ink in the machine?

I hope they have a machine now, back during the gulf war, it was a ink pad and we have to keep it with ink.

I was also on the hot line for people asking questions about the well being of their loves ones.

Yes I had a list of the soldiers that were missing in action. It was an honor for me at the time, be able to help our military families, after all my husband was in the middle east also, and it was hard to see the list of the death and check if my last name was there.

[edit on 19-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The Secretary of Defense has stated that he will begin to sign the letters personally. From my understanding the "signature machine," not an actual rubber stamp, is considered to be a official signature. Everyone in the US Congress uses one. Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about, but for those for whom the issue is important, the matter will be rectified.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Throughout World War II, Army Chief of Staff George Marshall made sure that President Franklin Roosevelt was briefed in detail on the number of soldiers who had fallen. FDR, incidentally, probably wanted to know. He had sons who were serving.

Several also felt compelled to tell me that the letter they received from George Bush also looked as though it was not signed personally by the president.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, Rumsfeld is a very busy man and so is Bush. But Roosevelt wasn't, right? How many KIA in Iraq compared to WW2?

[edit on 19-12-2004 by cargo]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Legally speaking the signature machine is used by THOUSANDS of elected officials nationwide, particularly on the federal level, and in New York City as well. It is in fact considered a signature, not a stamp.

Most people understand this as the standard MO for electeds. When your responsibilities stretch nationwide it is often hard to sign all correspondence by hand, mainly because one likes to have time to do other things, for example the responsibilities of the job.

I agree that this case is certainly different than standard correspondence and think it is appropriate that they be hand signed out of respect to the fallen.

I'm just surprised at some of you. Did you honestly think that the letters you received back from your congressmen or the president or the mayor of new york were handsigned? Wow...

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Perhaps the reason Rumsfeld though that he could sing the condolence letters himself may be that he never imagined that would be so many death in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
"So many dead" as compared to what, marg? WWII? Vietnam? Bosnia? What?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
"So many dead" as compared to what, marg? WWII? Vietnam? Bosnia? What?
seekerof

Will you get off your horse when it comes with war and conflicts comparisons please it is not the same and will never be, get it.

Iraq was an invasion.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Iraq was an invasion.

So was Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Bouganville, Guam, Peleliu, Tarawa, Okinawa, France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, North Africa, Korea, Vietnam, Granada, Panama, Haiti, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Granada, et al.

What you know about history, marg, could be put in a thimble and would still leave room for a Shriner's convention.

[edit on 04/12/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
What you know about history, marg, could be put in a thimble and would still leave room for a Shriner's convention.

[edit on 04/12/19 by GradyPhilpott]

Well Grady as much as you do, but hold it there, what can I said your are the expert on wars. Right?

No, Grady Iraq is not the same as Vietnam and the others and it never will be, so the comparison is just wrong and you know it.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Lol....maybe Bush can put his skull and bones ring to use now...just dip it in ink and stamp it...lol...look mommies i killed ur sons for oil....and i;ll rub it in ur faces using my skulls ring...oh look at me...im mr. big shot.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

No, Grady Iraq is not the same as Vietnam and the others and it never will be, so the comparison is just wrong and you know it.

They were both invasions. I fail to see what you are getting at here Marge.

Perhaps you should ask your husband about that.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

They were both invasions. I fail to see what you are getting at here Marge.

Perhaps you should ask your husband about that.

Actually I just asked him and he said that it was not really a government change in Vietnam.

Nice to see you around Coolhand.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think Marg is actually a disgruntled Kerry supporter. She's a sore loser and now everything is wrong with America. Marg, Canada is calling you.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As the child or the spouse of someone who has served in the military and given their lives and souls for this miserable war, you'd damn well better get if not Rumsfeld, someone to SIGN in their own hand these condolences out of sheer respect- RESPECT for the family left behind.

There is no excuse. Who the #$%^ does he think he is?

Rubber stamps my foot...

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimboE

I think Marg is actually a disgruntled Kerry supporter. She's a sore loser and now everything is wrong with America. Marg, Canada is calling you.
I've had enough out of you for one night.

Read the rules on trolling.

Not funny anymore. Get it??????????

Knock it off with the direct personal attacks. Where are the mods?
Enough.

[edit on 19-12-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

That was a low blow. Someone needs a nap.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Useful 1diot

That was a low blow. Someone needs a nap.

Don't worry people he or she is a child and ignoring its chidish post is the best thing to do, if he or she does not change its not going to last long around here.

So just ignore the littler troll.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join