It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John olivers take on "Race together"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So I am sure everyone by now has heard all the much to do about nothing hype About Howard Shultz conversation starter the "Race Together" initiative. And how most people thin its a silly idea to think that your going to be able to engage in a meaningful conversation with somebody in the 5 minutes you need to get your coffee before you head into work.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ntroversial-Race-initiative.html" target="_blank" class="postlink">www.dailymail.co.uk... Starbucks-CEO-task-controversial-Race-initiative.html

Again John Oliver says it best when he says " I am pretty sure no one has told this man "No" before. As in no one would have the guts to say to him that yeah this might not be the best idea on how to get a conversation going about race. hahah

edit on 23-3-2015 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2015 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Playback disabled on other websites... could you give us a recap please?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Stuck on repeat
edit on 23-3-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I guess they pulled the campaign yesterday, I wonder if it did damage to or helped their reputation?
edit on 23-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I had posted the vid but you fixed it first!

I LOVE John Oliver. I do think that this whole campaign was led by the need for deep pockets. He thought he would hit the "hip" topic and everyone would flood to his stores. Shame on him. I'm glad it tanked.
edit on 3/23/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/23/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

My fault basically John oliver talks about how this was not the best idea by howard Shultz to do this and points out how I think on the campaign picture there are only white hands holding hands.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Municipal Vio…: youtu.be...

I found this john Oliver looking for the one you're referring to. I'm too easily distracted. While the one I found was great could you link yours please?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Well plus there's this...

Pretty diverse leadership team he's got there lol.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
John Oliver - Starbucks' Race Together: youtu.be...

Here's your link. I just want you to know I'm currently binge watch John Oliver

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Yup there is that. hahah

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I realize I am outside of the Starbucks demographic since I have only once set foot in one of their stores in the past decade, but the idea of some jack-wagon, 'barrista' trying to have a 'meaningful' conversation with me about anything would be enough to keep me away for another decade.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I just watched this episode today actually. John Oliver is rapidly becoming a very popular voice and exposing the BS practices that are everywhere in society today. His attention to detail and effort in investigating his topics is impressive. As for this "Race Together" idea at Starbucks goes, I honestly think that Shultz had his heart in the right place but his head up his ass.

Oliver is correct in that you local Starbucks isn't the best time or place to strike up a conversation about Race Relations while you're dropping by to snag your overpriced latte. Not to mention the fact that it's putting your own employees who have absolutely no training in such social interactions or complex topics in a very uncomfortable position as well. Not to mention that it also doesn't take in to account what each employee personally feels about the topic. Shultz just assumes that since it's a Starbucks policy everyone will just naturally think and say what he does I guess.

I would like to also mention that on this same episode there was another issue talked about which was about some kids who introduced a bill to make the Red Tail Hawk the official state rapture. These happen all the time and are done to teach kids how government works and are usually handled with a good spirit. However this one went over like a flaming bag of poo for some reason. These idiots actually defeated the bill with all the kids actually present for it and went even further in their comments which basically mocked and ridiculed the kids for even bring it to them. Watch as your representatives make complete a-holes of themselves as they crap all over this innocent attempt at teaching kids about how Government works.

edit on 23-3-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

edit on 23-3-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: It happens

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
I don't need to be told what to think from someone selling me coffee. You might want to rethink your business model. Here's the real deal. No one has a problem with other races except one. You might want to look at that fact, I did.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Here's how it works:

I give you money; you give me coffee.

I realize that the stuff is terribly overpriced, but Starbucks is everywhere as opposed to my favorite little corner shop. However, the minute you decide to compensate me for the extra I pay by adding free social engineering advice is the minute I might actually rethink my decision to keep patronizing your company despite my disagreements with your personal politics.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Here's how it works:

I give you money; you give me coffee.

I realize that the stuff is terribly overpriced, but Starbucks is everywhere as opposed to my favorite little corner shop. However, the minute you decide to compensate me for the extra I pay by adding free social engineering advice is the minute I might actually rethink my decision to keep patronizing your company despite my disagreements with your personal politics.

That's my take on the situation really. I'll star you for a logical response.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
the minute you decide to compensate me for the extra I pay by adding free social engineering advice is the minute I might actually rethink my decision to keep patronizing your company despite my disagreements with your personal politics.

But that's not fair. They certainly seem dedicated to patronizing us.

I'm with you on this. I'm a fan of social engineering until it's monetized in publicity stunts for huge corporations.

new topics

top topics

join