It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tips for traveling with cats?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hello all,

I am moving soon, and will have to transport my two cats. I should mention that both cats hate their carriers and riding in vehicles, and I really do not want to listen to them screaming like banshees for a 9 hour drive. Does anyone have any ideas for anything I can do/give them to keep them calm during the trip?

Pet details: both females, one 13 years old, the other 3 years old. Their carriers are adequate for their sizes, and they have blankets for comfort.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: fiendchikx138

I would definitely still use the carrier, you don't want to lose them.

I suggest getting a sedative like for when you ship them ahead on a plane. They should be very calm and relaxed the day through.I'm sure your vet will be more than happy to prescribe you some, it's not to expensive.

Good luck on your move!

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

This works for a lot, but not all.

Same goes for humans, it works for me and a cat which I take care for from time to time...

Link

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The Treespeaker was spot on! The vet will be glad to help and explain everything.

Another thing that may help is to lay out the blanket or towel you will put in the carrier so they can lay on it. This will help to calm them on the trip.

Best of luck!! I am sure they will LOVE exploring their new home.

edit on 3/23/1515 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Cat valium, you will need to take them in for an exam first so the vet knows they are in good health but it will make the trip so much easier.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Step 1: Abandon cats

Step 2: Win

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Thanks for that link, I'll definitely try this ahead of time and see if it will work.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

If it works, it`s good stuff.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Drugs.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
play bird noises sound clips on the stereo during transport , better them being in hunter mode than spooked to #

birdbox

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

If I had to listen to that for 9 hours, well it would take more than valium.....

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

why not? you might learn a new language to boot

funbox

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

There seems to be plenty of suggestions. Not a cat owner but feel for you and them. Its hard to relocate…

best of luck.

google search results

ETA: One of those sites recommends…

3. Rehearse Travel at Home
A 500 mile or more trip is not the occasion to test your cat's travelability. Accustom her to her carrier by letting her sleep in it, then take her on increasingly longer local drives well in advance of your trip. Make travel a fun occasion, with plenty of rewards, and your cat will soon be a seasoned veteran at travel.

edit on 23-3-2015 by intrptr because: added external content

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
Cat valium, you will need to take them in for an exam first so the vet knows they are in good health but it will make the trip so much easier.

And after you take the "cat valium" instead of giving it to the cats, you won't care how much they scream.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

or even if the cars wrapped around a lamppost

funbox

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I can testify that the kitty Valium works like a charm for about 6 hours. I had a cat that was a howler when she was put into the carrier and would keep it up as long as the car was moving. But when we gave her the Valium before a two hour trip, she slept the entire time and for 4 more hours. Your vet can prescribe this for you.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
Step 1: Abandon cats

Step 2: Win

You are letting your past experiences with female cats unfairly bias your opinion.

Male cats are better than dogs.

Females are...females.

@ FiendChikx
I recommend getting an extra cat carrier to use solely as a litter box of sorts.
One that opens on top ideally. You can cover the side gate with a plastic trash bag if it has one
edit on 23-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: Jesus ATSmobile is sooo annoying.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Don't drug them. If you simply cover the carriers with a towel or blanket it should calm them down after a short time.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

thank you, I've had to do this with my dogs to get them used to travelling, but hadn't thought of trying it with the girls.

Eunuchorn : This is an excellent idea, as they don't care for leashes, either, so taking them out for a pee break won't work.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
They will calm down.
Cover the carrier with a thin throw/sheet. so they can't see the moving outside the car.
Leave a little for air flow.
I did cross country with a cat. He got use it. Cries first hour then just sleeps.

edit on 23-3-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join