It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan space scientists make wireless energy breakthrough

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hello ATS. As a joke, I'm not going to share my thoughts, I'm going to say something generic and I'm going to make sure I get all that information across in one small paragraph or less. This is what I have come to expect when I click on a thread. That statement certainly DOES NOT apply to everybody.

Japan space scientists make wireless energy breakthrough

Researchers used microwaves to deliver 1.8 kilowatts of power—enough to run an electric kettle—through the air with pinpoint accuracy to a receiver 55 metres (170 feet) away.

Science is amazing! This is great news for people who don't like plugging things in. I can think of a million things that could benefit from this breakthrough. I'm going to build a tree house and stream power to it!

"This was the first time anyone has managed to send a high output of nearly two kilowatts of electric power via microwaves to a small target, using a delicate directivity control device," he said.

Think space based solar array. While not going to happen tomorrow. It will happen.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
How cool is that? The implications and potential this could be used for... makes my nerd brain drool

Thanks for sharing this !

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I`m wondering if that`s safe to stand in between ?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Consider everything that is made less efficient by the weight of it's batteries like an RC plane or drone.

And in order to start taking advantage of space based solar arrays, you could install a hovering drone every 170ft until they reach an efficient height to gather direct sunlight in space. Each transfer of power to the drone below it would recharge or power the mechanism that lets it hover in place. A downward stepladder of energy powering every drone as it trickles down from space. It's fun to imagine.

edit on 23-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Exactly what I was thinking. You get cooked… from the inside out.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Interesting technology with unlimited applications as a point to point energy transfer system.

I don't imagine its a good idea to expose organic matter aka us into the stream of the beam through.

Birds may experience death from above should we ever start to beam solar energy form collectors direct to earth via microwave transmission, truth be told this would possibly make the perfect weapon.
edit on 23-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

"This was the first time anyone has managed to send a high output of nearly two kilowatts of electric power via microwaves to a small target, using a delicate directivity control device," he said.

Think space based solar array. While not going to happen tomorrow. It will happen.

Think cooking in your own juices LOL. The earth is a finite system with extremely gradual changes that generally take decades to millennia. But let's just say you start sending energy to earth that would have normally missed earth. Oh, that would be a NET energy increase for the entire planet. You want to see real accelerated global warming take off out of control, this is the way to do it. Boeing and Lockheed both looked at this concept in the 70's and it was shelved because it would have destroyed the planet in less than 5 years (actually I think it was 3, raising water levels, greenhouse effect, desertification, etc).

For earth surface based applications, sure, just don't step through the beam, unless there is a fast cure for cancer and/or cooking your internal organs, skin, bone, you know, the stuff you need to live. And outside applications, just image the birds bursting into flames while passing through high powered transmission beams.

Woohoo, Technology!

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/23.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

Electromagnetic induction safe, but less efficient.

Microwave radiation has the potential to be harmful at both high (gamma) and low (UV) frequency ranges. Depending on the method used and the amount of time spent in the "wave", it may just be like sitting in the sun for a few hours. I really can't say for sure. They don't go into details.

How about mounting the transmitters and receivers on top of electrical poles already in use? Or ceiling mounted instruments in your home. They did manage to achieve the transfer with pin point accuracy.

I'm researching at the moment.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
in 1994 Bluetooth was invented ,when it was released I said that we could learn to charge batteries that way wireless thereby making them a perpetual energy source at least while they are in their battery life 2 to 5 years some longer, something to think about.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

With nearly two kilowatts of concentrated microwave power, probably not. The cornea of the eye is particularly sensitive to microwaves and people exposed to them in high doses develop cataracts, if not more severe symptoms.

Also, 170 feet isn't very far.

The military will probably try to use some tech like this to power drones so they don't have to refuel them, and woe to any birds that fly in the path of the microwave beam.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Is it really such a good idea for the Japanese to be playing around with microwaves and energy transfer with Fukushima still running amok? Isn't that what caused the earthquake in the first place? C'mon guys...this is a conspiracy site!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Oh, you'll be fine as long as you're not exposed to high doses, but you may be shooting blanks in the near future if you catch my drift. So technically, the future depends on them developing a safe working model.

edit on 23-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Great! Just what we need. More tampering with our brains from afar.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The company WiTricity is an MIT offshoot from the resonance/induction days and have fine tuned their initial feat of lighting a 20 watt light bulb to an amazing 3000 watts across a single garage sized room.

Soljacic has a company called WiTricity, and he can now send 3,000 watts across a room—or a garage, since 3,000 watts can charge an electric car.

Link

Different tech, higher power, shorter distance. Plus, it isn't harmful to humans!

Just for comparison.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Boeing and Lockheed both looked at this concept in the 70's and it was shelved because it would have destroyed the planet in less than 5 years (actually I think it was 3, raising water levels, greenhouse effect, desertification, etc).

I would love to read up on that if you have the link.

So lets say that these transfers of energy are built into the existing walls of your home. Unless you can walk through walls, you're good. They can then switch technologies to induction for safe "point of use" enjoyment.

What do ya think?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Boeing and Lockheed both looked at this concept in the 70's and it was shelved because it would have destroyed the planet in less than 5 years (actually I think it was 3, raising water levels, greenhouse effect, desertification, etc).

I would love to read up on that if you have the link.

So lets say that these transfers of energy are built into the existing walls of your home. Unless you can walk through walls, you're good. They can then switch technologies to induction for safe "point of use" enjoyment.

What do ya think?

As long as there is less angular beam "bleed" than the width of the wall, sure, but you have to have holes in the wood studs or open spaces, you can't have metal. If the hole is large to prevent beam contact with the wood/plastic so it doesn't burst into flames, what's going to support the roof?

It's an extremely interesting concept, but I am not sure it has residential utility or any utility for that matter. Let's say there was an earthquake and the power was still on and the walls flexed, enough that the beam was directed at your head. Now, that's not going to pretty, especially if you're sleeping and don't wake up, ever. Or let's say no earthquakes, but there's a landslide, a car comes through your wall, ground water damages your foundation, etc. All these situations can cause walls to collapse or deflect and still have power running. Then there are the other problems, how is the beam focused, can it go out of alignment over time, are there fail-safes? It's too many problems.

Can you imagine what it would feel like to have, say, your shoulder turned into a hunk of human roast beef, because someone didn't think ahead?

I will try and find the Boeing and Lockheed articles, it was ages ago. I read them back in 1985 and they went onto floppy backups. Then I transferred them in 1991 to hard drive, then they went into my first servers when I only had a total of 20 gbytes. Now they should be somewhere in my servers but I am up to about 18 terrabytes, so it's going to be a search as I encrypted a lot of government and military information.

Don't hold your breath, but you should be able to find the information using google or bing by looking up power transfer from space as a replacement to nuclear and thermal electrical generation. They were looking at it two ways, one was microwave and the other wide beam laser. There were just too many problems presented in the research papers, that ranged from human issues like blindness, cancer and instant death, to the same things for animals and also both had the global energy injection problems in the form of melting caps, evaporating water, gradual loss of water and atmosphere and turning the planet into a desert.

I'll have to look back and see if I can find my old notes as well. I did the calculations on total natural solar energy in watts compared to the current (at the time 1985) world wide electrical usage in watts, 1/2 the world wide vehicle energy usage in watts and the total increase per year in energy input from space that would be required. Long time ago now...

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/23.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I will preface my statement by saying that this is far outside of my field of expertise and perhaps someone could clarify exactly what is the break-thru with this experiment? From what I have gathered wireless transmissions of energy thru microwaves have been accomplished since post WWII.

In landmark 1975 high power experiments, Brown demonstrated short range transmission of 475 W of microwaves at 54% DC to DC efficiency, and he and Robert Dickinson at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory transmitted 30 kW DC output power across 1.5 km with 2.38 GHz microwaves from a 26 m dish to a 7.3 x 3.5 m rectenna array.

Source

William C. Brown is the Brown mentioned above.

So what exactly is the break-thru from the experiment? Apparently since the 70s the ability to transmit more power over a much larger distance has existed. Just trying to gain some understanding.
edit on 23-3-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

ETA - Somehow I missed the part in the article about the size of the object being transmitted to. Still seems a bit unimpressive given the fact that 40 years ago they were doing this stuff.
edit on 23-3-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Microwave radiation has the potential to be harmful at both high (gamma) and low (UV) frequency ranges.

Microwaves don't come in visible light or gamma radiation. You need to look WAAAAY to the left of visible light on your chart, there.

And no, you don't want to be between point a and point b unless you want to find out what hot dogs feel like in the microwave.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

The company WiTricity is an MIT offshoot from the resonance/induction days and have fine tuned their initial feat of lighting a 20 watt light bulb to an amazing 3000 watts across a single garage sized room.

Actually, WiTricity isn't just a resonant induction gig. It's got to do with evanescent waves as well, the couplers are the sort of thing you could probably teach in fields III for extra credit. Very indirect.

At least WiTricity isn't going to couple well to people. Although I'm not so sure I'd want to be in the field 24/7, either.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
A bit surprised at you ATS! This is what Bernie Eastlund was on about when he did all the ARCO work back when.

Eastlund's patents were to take cheap energy at remote oil wells, make electricity of it, and bounce it off the ionosphere as microwaves to a rectenna farm in a desert somewhere.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join