It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEED SUGGESTIONS. I don't think I can get an internship this summer........feeling a bit down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

Since you aren't near me (and you didn't respond ;P) I won't be able to offer anything. There are some great suggestions in the thread.. I just wanted to add that many engineering firms would love to have an intern to do the grunt work! Especially the very small, very capable ones. Maybe just call around your local area and see if someone needs what you can provide.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

Find any job that you can - if you land one that is close to your field, then you are one step ahead than most. Most people frown at me when I say this, but these are the same people that were straight-A students, and now, they are stuck working high-school jobs because while the degree is valid, they have absolutely no work experience.

From my experience, employers care about both the degree, and how new you are in the market - you could have a PHD, but if you don't have any work to prove other than classwork, there are less doors open to you.

In my case, I didn't work all through high school and my associates - Instead, what I did was I volunteered for free with some local businesses and my library. I used my time from both on the resume, because it showed potential employers that if I was willing to work for free, it meant I loved what I did.

I'm not saying you need to give up all hope; rather, that to an employer, just because you clean toilets doesn't mean you aren't fit for the job - better have some work than no work experience at all.

-foss

new topics

<< 1   >>

join