It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lengua - Seriously, This Should Be So Much More Popular ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Why, why, why don't more people eat beef tongue? I get it, it looks gross before you process it fully ... kind of like a giant, dead zombie tongue. But really, slow cook it, process it finish it off a bit and it's the most tender, beefiest, best taco you will ever have.

I hear it makes awesome sandwiches too.

More people need to get over the ick factor and try it out.
edit on 23-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Farm kid here. I love beef tongue and beef heart, liver, anything really. Don't waste it, just learn how you like it cooked!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'm a heart person, too, but I will admit that I can't do straight up liver. I do use the liver to flavor soups and stews though.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
half farm kid. still i eat pretty much anything, i think i classify as a carnivore at this point.
Here is something you can all try, although i doubt you will find it ready made, from what i can tell, it's more one of the local things of my area:
Stigghiola, is a Sicilian food speciality, typical of the city of Palermo. It consists of guts (usually of lamb, but also of goat or chicken) which are washed in water and salt, seasoned with parsley and often with onion and other pot herbs, then stuck on a skewer or rolled around a leek, and finally cooked directly on the grill.

Just like the tongue it sounds kinda gross until you actually try it

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Best part : Criadillas.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My grandparents had a dairy farm and cow tongue was on the menu a lot. I happen to like it. You have to take the skin off or it's really chewy. Dang it lol. After reading your thread I want it. I haven't had it in more than twenty years. Damn I feel old.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
My wife is from Guadalajara and she turned me on to lengua tacos when we met about five (5) years ago: on a corn tortilla with fresh cilantro, fresh chopped onion, and a little lime juice squeezed over the top; You can't beat it! Cabeza, prepared the same way, is awesome as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I never ate a tongue; I always have this gross image in my head that it would feel like going zombie on the girl you are kissing ( french kissing of course, or is it liberty kissing now? lol )...

I'm sure it's tender and all... I love the heart, liver only as pâté, and "rognons", that is the kidneys... Weird, no?

Also, I don't drink from any animals balls, like a certain Homer Jay Simpson.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: StopLookingAtMe

Buche (hog maw) is good that way, too. I'm not sure I'm ready to figure out how to process hog maw at home although I do know where to get it when I'm ready for that adventure because it sure tastes good.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Man, ill throw down some lengua.

About the only "Mexican" type food I won't eat is chicaron tacos. To eat chicharons they have to be fried crispy. Preferrably with some fat still on them

But lengua? Oh man....

There isn't a part of the cow I won't eat, although the richness of brain isn't something I am as fond of.

My favorite part of the cow is the marrow.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My favorite part of the cow is the marrow.

I just took some associates who were in NYC for training to Employees Only and one of the apps is bone marrow poppers which is bone marrow, wrapped in bacon, fried and then served on top of a puff pastry with a touch of bordelaise.

Holy crap. We ordered several plates of them.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Its the most flavorful part of the cow

When i make beef shanks, ill roast some mushrooms too. When its all done, I like to scoop the marrow from the shanks into the buttons of the mushrooms.

Poor dogs....they only get rib bones and neck bones anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A friend of mine gets the chicken hearts for cheap at the local fresh killed and the nieces and nephews call it "bacon".

I haven't had tongue but, I remember seeing calve's brains being served and was admittedly a little unnerved.
edit on 23-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

When I was very young, we would sometimes visit a great aunt and uncle who lived on a farm.
They came to America from the Old Country in the 1920s.
They would not only eat calve's brains, but 'sweetbreads', which were various organs.
BLAAHHH!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Now I'm jealous. When I was little, my mom would sometimes buy a package of chicken hearts at the local grocery and serve them with noodles.

I get the turkey hearts out of the bird every year, but I have yet to find a place that will just sell me chicken hearts ... I miss them!

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

When I was very young, we would sometimes visit a great aunt and uncle who lived on a farm.
They came to America from the Old Country in the 1920s.
They would not only eat calve's brains, but 'sweetbreads', which were various organs.
BLAAHHH!!!!

I went to a wedding in Ireland with a bunch of vegans who couldn't find anything to eat until one came back with a bag of pastries which turned out to be filled with meat.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've cooked up a beef tongue or two in my youth.
I remember it as being pretty tasty.......I should go visit my butcher soon.....hmmmm.....

top topics

join