It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th Graders See Real Legislative Idiocy, Live

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That is great to hear, congrats!

They should both stay out of school, once you learn to learn, structured learning is counterproductive. Certification is usually just a test so knowing the field is enough.

It is best not to ingest all of the incorrect "facts" from textbooks that are outdated (or "updated") and instead read whole original texts and pursue complete lines of thought.

My biggest complaint is the sense that I get from 'graduating' classes that some milestone has been achieved, it has not.
edit on 22-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Very proud of both of them. One played the system, the other bucked it....
and both are excellent 'learners' in their own way.

The younger (who dropped out) had a favorite show as a preschooler:
"Adult Math" on PBS. I kid you not.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I can sympathize, I went to a lot of different schools and none of them worked out so I left very early.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

There are many ways to learn, especially now with the internet and a discerning sensibility.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I am currently looking for a way to e-mail Trey Parker and Matt Stone to ask them to use this in an episode.

All hail Parker and Stone!!!

Let us know if you get any momentum on this one.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

So far, all I have found is an address I could send a letter to and I have read they don't take e-mail. There's isn't listed anywhere.

They seem to like their privacy....I can't blame them.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

My guess is that the New Hampshire legislature was having an off day. The correct procedure would have been to load the bill with some pork, include a pay raise, pass the bill and go on vacation for six weeks.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: EternalSolace

I hope you're right. I hope the teacher was able to mitigate the damage done.

I hope so, too.....

And believe it or not (this mostly to greencmp): there ARE public school teachers who have their heads on straight.
This was truly a "teaching moment".

What damage? IMHO this was one of the most valuable lessons that the kids could have learned and I hope they remember it when they reach voting age.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

My guess is that the New Hampshire legislature was having an off day. The correct procedure would have been to load the bill with some pork, include a pay raise, pass the bill and go on vacation for six weeks.

LOL. SO right you are.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

What damage? IMHO this was one of the most valuable lessons that the kids could have learned and I hope they remember it when they reach voting age.

I agree with you - it WAS an incredibly valuable real lesson - and I hope the kids' teacher is able to see that, and deconstruct it in a way they can understand and decide to boycott.

(As for 'what damage?', I didn't say it was damaging. I believe that was EternalSolace. But we've talked it out since.)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

The correct procedure would have been to load the bill with some pork

I think the moronic Groen who brought up Planned Parenthood was trying to do just that.

edit on 3/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

They seem to like their privacy....I can't blame them.

Me neither.

My daughter and her father and grandmother have seen their Broadway show "The Book of Mormon" already. I wish I'd had the wherewithal to order tickets before the show left town.
D'oh!!!!

But I hope to see it very soon......

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hey, just found this other article about it:

the New Hampshire state House has 400 members. Think about that for a second. The U.S. House of Representatives has 435 voting members. The population of New Hampshire is about 1.3 million, which means that every member of the New Hampshire House represents about 3,000 people. If the U.S. House represented the United States by the same proportion, it would be a 99,000-member body, and the resulting interplay between legislators would make most Thunderdomes look like a model of decorum.

Compounding this problem is the fact that most New Hampshire representatives are paid next to nothing, and so the chamber can be a haven for also-rans, never-weres, never-will-bes and nothing-better-to-dos, as well as cranky weirdos who believe in fun theories like how the Boston Marathon bombing was an inside job.

Right???

So now it's all about what people get paid to be in Congress anywhere?
Please.

Link

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Politicians could not organise a piss up in a brewery.

They are the most incompetent thick skulled waste of oxygen on the planet.
edit on 22-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

I'm sure the kid's laughter was akin to what happens when someone doesn't get a joke, but laughs because everyone else is laughing. Which is why it frustrates me even more.

The woman who opened with the bill was Rep. Christy Bartlett, D-Concord. When she started droning on asking why a state raptor was needed, and what about this or that, she essentially called the children stupid. I'm trying to find the names of all the folks who spoke during the session on that bill. When I find them, I'll list them.

I agree, this was definitely meant to be a civics lesson. And this was a fine example of failed 'educators' (politicians).

Addon instead of new post:

I hope you're right. I hope the teacher was able to mitigate the damage done.

Mitigate what damage?

The children learned a valuble leason.

Politicians are useless and the US goverment as it exists in its current form is not fit for purpose.

Next leason should be to take them to watch some trials so they can see how screwed up the criminal justice system is and how they are NOT equal under the law, msybe visist a prison after and count the non violent prisoners

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Politicians are useless and the US goverment as it exists in its current form is not fit for purpose.

Well stated.
It embarrasses me.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Well stated.
It embarrasses me.

Well the UK is little better so don't feel to bad

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Cheers, mate.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

here are the main 'points' the speakers made:
Do we really need a state raptor? We already have a state bird.
Are we going to have, then, a state flightless bird, a pet bird, a garden bird, wild bird?
Why do we need a state raptor?
Only one other state has a state raptor - do we need one?
This bird is everywhere in the country - not just here.
Soon we'll be picking a state hot dog.

The guy stood there and described how a raptor uses its razor-sharp talons to rip apart its prey, limb-by-limb...and then said,
"The shame about makin' this the state bird is that it would serve as a much better mascot for Planned Parenthood."

That last part is a hilarious pandering to his constituency, but I can't argue with the rest of the points.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gentledissident

but I can't argue with the rest of the points.

In my mind, the point is: why even bother with making those 'points'? These people accepted the kids' Bill, and took it to the house floor.
Was it worth 18 minutes of the time it took for them to practice their lamentable 'debating' skills?

I swear, a group of those 4th graders could have done a better job at 'discussing' it.

It was, in the end, a perfect example of how ineffectual our 'Legislative Body' is. Whether at national, state, or local level. It's asinine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join