It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Royal Marine is world's deadliest sniper

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

An excellent response. Hats off.

Definitely, tactics played a part in the revolutionary war aspect.

Also, the barrels were longer on the 'rebel's' side from my understanding. Probably due to the tactical considerations those longer weapons were based on need for accuracy with the British more standardized. (A guess.)

Much more individualist mentality in the colonies as well. Everyone outside of cities were armed-still are
- with hunting being the priority, rather than conquering the world
, range would dominate.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

An excellent response. Hats off.

Definitely, tactics played a part in the revolutionary war aspect.

Also, the barrels were longer on the 'rebel's' side from my understanding. Probably due to the tactical considerations those longer weapons were based on need for accuracy with the British more standardized. (A guess.)

Much more individualist mentality in the colonies as well. Everyone outside of cities were armed-still are
- with hunting being the priority, rather than conquering the world
, range would dominate.

yeah exactly a sniper to the locals then is the same as an IED is to the rebels of today. A way to hit hard and unexpectedly without putting yourself in harms way. You don't try and fight a man on the same ground where he lives and hunts wearing red and formed up in three ranks unless you want your skull hollowed out. You could say those men invented the idea of the modern marksman and sniper.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
He went into their country and kills a ton of their people.

Considering the Taliban in Afghanistan were highly populated by foreigners, notably from Pakistan, but also from elsewhere. The Taliban were foreign to Afghanis.

I celebrate the professionalism of the armed forces and people such as described in the OP.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

to be fair i dont think either us or Uk have the "worlds best sniper" as that guys been dead for a good long time ,but perhapts the greatest living one

en.wikipedia.org... 505 men with iron sites(Finnish Nagant) in less then 100 days plus about 200 with a smg ,with 705 confirmed kills he is the unquestioned king of snipers .with the queen being Ludmilla Pavlichenko with 309 confirmed and many more probable kills

this is not to take anything away from the UK sniper mind you just keep things in historical context ,but id go see a movie about this guy too especialy as he seems to be the most successful living sniper

i THINK canada or UK has the sniper with longest kill (is that still current?)

forces.tv... figured u would like this OP

While the movie American Sniper and its depiction of former US Navy SEAL Chris Kyle are getting all the plaudits from film and television awards, we look back through history to see how snipers of times gone by fare against the modern day hero.
i had never even heard of the Chinese sniper before this

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

meh,

this is not a thread about who is the best, i just thought it was interesting that there is a UK sniper with more kills than Kyle that was all.

does not take away from kyles achievements however

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

was not my intent and sorry if it came off that way ,i think it was the articles fault really for not framing it as most successful LIVING sniper vs the ones that were around in ww2,and they had a much richer target environment.

while not named(and i find that interesting in and of its self) it seems the royal marine is almost like the reincarnation of Simo,quiet humble and not a braggart and seems to view it more as a job or duty then a quest to be the king if that makes sense.

and by not revealing his name or trying to capitalize on his fame makes him appear more dangerous yet humble at the same time.i mean during the ww2 when snipers like zitezev or Simo showed up the enemy troops knew about it and it instilled fear,with this guy not being named you dont even know if hes deployed to your area if your an insurgent and he could be anywhere there are royal marines stationed. star and flag op www.inquisitr.com...
edit on 22-3-2015 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Wow, you're getting a kicking in this thread and I think it's misplaced anger.

The corporal, who is still serving, made the majority of his kills during a single six-month tour of Helmand province eight years ago.

The actions in Helmand were led by NATO forces (International Security Assistance Force) and authorised by the UN Security Council. The UNSC included Russia, China, France and the UK. It wasn't like the Iraq invasion where we stormed in against international approval.

In that context, the corporal has been doing the job he's trained for.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
and if were gonna go for which American held distance(longest kill) first that honor goes to a confederate sniper (name withheld/not given) who managed a 1271 yard (1,390 meter) kill on December 5th 1864 with a .451 Black powder Whitmoore Rifled Musket during the civil war,a record achieved with non metalic cartridges

en.wikipedia.org... he probally held the Title for the longest shot for the longest time (1867-1964) using a 50-90 sharps buffalo rifle with metallic cartridges ,he managed a "scratch shot" kill on a brave at 1406 meters (1,538 yards) using iron sites.

Dixon led the founders of Adobe Walls to the Texas Plains, where he knew buffalo were in abundance. The group of 28 men and one woman occupied the outpost of five buildings 15 miles northeast of Stinnett. The outpost was attacked on June 27, 1874 by a band of 700 to 1200 Indians, and that is when Dixon went into the history books for firing "The Shot of the Century" which effectively ended the siege. Although Billy Dixon states in his biography that it was a "scratch shot", he is still honored to this day with competitions in England and the US which attempt to match his skill. The stand-off continued into a third day, when a group of Indians were noticed about a mile east of Adobe Walls. It is said that Dixon took aim with a quickly borrowed .50-90 Sharps (as, according to his biography, he only had a .45-90 Sharps and felt it could not reach) buffalo rifle and fired, knocking an Indian near Chief Quanah Parker off his horse almost a mile away on his third shot. The Indians then left the settlement alone. Commemorative "Billy Dixon" model reproduction Sharps rifles that supposedly recreate the specifications of Dixon's famous gun are still available today.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

was not my intent and sorry if it came off that way ,i think it was the articles fault really for not framing it as most successful LIVING sniper vs the ones that were around in ww2,and they had a much richer target environment.

while not named(and i find that interesting in and of its self) it seems the royal marine is almost like the reincarnation of Simo,quiet humble and not a braggart and seems to view it more as a job or duty then a quest to be the king if that makes sense.

and by not revealing his name or trying to capitalize on his fame makes him appear more dangerous yet humble at the same time.i mean during the ww2 when snipers like zitezev or Simo showed up the enemy troops knew about it and it instilled fear,with this guy not being named you dont even know if hes deployed to your area if your an insurgent and he could be anywhere there are royal marines stationed. star and flag op www.inquisitr.com...

It's common practice not to name a sniper or show his face for his personal security and the risk of reprisals.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I love how this thread was immediately derailed by the progressive left.......

The thread had nothing to do with the theology of war or what your "feel goods" tell you, or who you think is an invader or what you thought about Chris Kyle....or whether you like the military or not....

Seriously you progressive cry babies make me laugh at just how sensitive and high and mighty you think you are....your first knee jerk reaction is to come in flinging mud to try and derail the threads......

Stay on topic or make your own thread about the morality of war.......

To the Sniper, good on you man, thank you for protecting the troops

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

No, not YOUR troops but fighting to keep YOUR country safe like it or not! And he was killing Taliban, anyone killing the Taliban is a hero!

But be honest your real problem here is that the guy is British isn't it?

Your joking me, right?

Those troops are helping to protect Ireland by being in Afghanistan?

Laughable at best.

I couldnt give a toss what nationality the sniper is, im hardly jealous of the fact he's british now am i?
I would have to admire what he's done to be jealous of him...

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Are you some sort of an idiot or been living in a bubble for the past decade? The Islamic terrorists don't give a toss about Irelands neutrality, they view you the same as the rest of us. So, yes, the countries who have the balls to stand up to these types are protecting those who don't, like we did with the Nazis.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Wow, you're getting a kicking in this thread and I think it's misplaced anger.

well considering i spend most of my time these days in the mud pit that is the 9/11 forum i never even noticed lol!

To be honest the only reason i bothered posting this was just to point out that there is a British equivalent of Chris Kyle out there, nothing more, nothing less. I am not saying that it is even right for him to be out there or even he is some kind of "hero" in the OP.

Kind of funny actually isn't it how some people just automatically start making assumptions about my views.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I am going to go out on a limb and say there is probably not going to be a movie made about this guy,

Of course Hollywood will one day make a movie about this......but to make the story more appealing and acceptable to US audiences the guys nationality will be changed to American and the Brits will be portrayed as upper class, bungling buffoons.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

That's because he is a professional man who takes pride in his work.

And he can spend the rest of his life seeing those images flash before his eyes. Waking up crying, waking up screaming.

I've had occasions to talk with many of these snipers after they have been home a couple of years. All marines. At one time, one of them described the look on the man's face as he appeared before him with his weapon drawn. It was an older man, just sitting down to his dinner, alone. He described the scene so well, I had vicarious traumatization for a few weeks afterwards. I can see it to this day. PTSD is such an ugly, ugly thing.

Sgt1642, this is nothing negative about your post whatsoever. I saw that sentence and thought it might be a good place to plug in my two cents is all. I absolutely support our military guys and women.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Of course Hollywood will one day make a movie about this......but to make the story more appealing and acceptable to US audiences the guys nationality will be changed to American and the Brits will be portrayed as upper class, bungling buffoons

Lol! Wouldn't surprise me a bit. It's how we roll. It takes a while sometimes to figure out we're not the best at everything. It's drilled into our heads.

Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for the movie! : ]

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I work with some vets with Ptsd too. That's a very confusing and misunderstood area of study. I hold a firm belief that head trauma leads to horromone imbalance which helps progress the spiraling. (In some cases )

Also just to highlight the other side of this argument, I've met and s pokem at length with more then a few enlisted men that have some just plain gruesome stories..... And they love every second. Stories of knife kills told through smiles bigger then a kid at a carnival. Heard one guy tell about how his mk48 blew this guys arm off and he laughed so hard when he told me this, "HAH TOOK HIS FREAKIN ARM RIGHT OFF.. IT WAS AWSOME!"

O i'm sure some of that is just coping but I garantee you theirs plenty that made all the right calls and doesn't feel bad about any of their time there.

It takes a unique person to go to war and transition back successfully butts possible. Don't count on every vet being a depressed anxiety ridden suicide watch case, many are just kicking back waiting for the bell to ring and the next round to start.. Just chompin at the bit.
edit on 22-3-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Then you are aware of the coping strategies they develop, and that it can sometimes be years before they develop symptoms of PTSD? Check back with those guys in five or ten years and see how they are doing..........

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Well yous guys have some dandy sniper rifles.

I think they are very high tech now , press a button and they calculate drift and drop. The killing distances are so far, by the time an adversary started looking for the sniper, he would be long gone.

During the second world war, the Sniper if caught was executed on the spot, even his comrades didn't like them much .It was hard to separate patriotism from murder. With regards to the fair fight. The problem being you knew you were personally responsible for executing people, which had psychological consequences down the line . They got more pay as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

We will see. 2 I can think of are gonna be lifers. One might leave the military for th pmc/clandestine world but they are in it for life, some people are just wired for it. It's what makes them tick. One bad day and one accident and that all changes in some cases but that's the nature of the world. As long as someone is willing to take our lives for what we have or believe then we must be ready to do what we have to, and that's gotten more and more surgical as the years go by. I mean just look at the history of war from ww1 - now. It's a god damned sport now compared to what it used to be. The soul snatchers of old used to do it in bulk. Thousands at a time sometimes. Carpet bomb whole cities. Now it's much cleaner. Much more effective. Only going to get better

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join