It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't need a weekend

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
The whole right to work thing is a tragedy.

People can't just work constant hours until they die. Insurance will go up due to on the job injuries. I'm so discusted that anyone would sign these bills into law. Do they not think of the consiquences of these actions?!

Do you know what the "Right to work" is?

The right of every American to work for a living without being compelled / forced to belong or join a union if they want that job. A Right to Work law guarantees that no person can be compelled, as a condition of employment, to join or not to join, nor to pay freeking dues to a useless labor union whose sole purpose is self-perpetuation of the leaders and donating it's members dues to the DNC.

It actually makes the Unions prove to their members that their services are actually worth the dues. (Accountability to their members, go figure)

www.washingtontimes.com...

By Brett Healy and F. Vincent Vernuccio - - Friday, February 27, 2015

Since right-to-work work took effect in March 2013, 142,000 more people are employed in Michigan and private-sector weekly earnings have increased 5.4 percent, outpacing the national average of 3.7 percent.

Among its neighboring states in the Midwest, only Indiana—itself a recent right-to-work state—outpaced Michigan in job growth over the period.

A major reason for the quickly growing economy is that more companies are looking at Michigan as a destination for expanding their business. Shortly after right-to-work passed, a Chicago-based real estate developer explained the rationale to Site Selection Magazine: “When there are companies who are looking for locations, Michigan will no longer be eliminated because they are not a right-to-work state.”

Here’s the surprising part: Right-to-work policies aren’t just good for employees and employers—they’re good for unions, too. In a right-to-work state, everyone has the option to join a union and pay monthly dues. Instead of organizing a workplace and then clocking out as the dues checks roll in, the union has to convince current and potential members that it provides a valuable service at a reasonable price.

In Indiana, that is exactly what happened. Union membership in the state grew by 50,000 members in 2014, two years after it passed right-to-work. Gary Casteel, the Southern region director for UAW, was previously quoted saying he prefers right-to-work environments for organizing: “This is something I’ve never understood, that people think right to work hurts unions…To me, it helps them.”

It’s a remarkably reasonable perspective on a law that national labor unions have had a difficult time messaging against.

edit on 21-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
Read further down on the first page to see my views on how this applies in real life. Not text book definition.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
To be fair to the Republicans it does say volunteer to work not you are required to work. If it said that you had to work seven days a week then I would have a problem with it. The way I see it five days a week is enough of my life to spend working for someone else when I have plenty of stuff to do at home so I really don't get a day of rest anyway I just don't get paid for the work I do on the weekends.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Right to work

Because RTW laws lower wages and benefits, weaken workplace protections, and decrease the likelihood that employers will be required to negotiate with their employees, they are advanced as a strategy for attracting new businesses to a state. But EPI research shows that RTW laws do not have any positive impact on job growth.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I wonder if there's problems in the other 37 states?

As a Suthron boy, we got no stinking unions BUT it would be rare indeed to see someone condemned to work seven days a week constantly or be fired.

When I was a yoot and did such jobs as unions are for, I was never abused. Hell, I WANTED more OT but couldn't get it. These days, I'm exempt and they work my butt as hard as they want.

eta: I have to say, we DO have unions, mainly Teamsters, IBEW and the like. But here they've got to prove they are worth the dues you pay, or you will go down the road to a non-union shop.
edit on 21-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The whole right to work thing is a tragedy.
Do they not think of the consiquences of these actions?!

I've always lived in a rtw state. Give up the propaganda, the unions are lying to you.

None of the crapola they're touting "you'll have to work 24/7 or DIE" is true. Not a bit of it.

They're trying to keep you FORCED by government to pay them. That's bull#. I will pay you if I want to join a union. I won't if I don't. THAT is what RTW means. Otherwise, the unions control you like they're some sort of government. Screw them. I've got plenty of people who can tell me what I have to do and when, a union rep won't be another one.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
The US inches closer and closer to a society akin to that of slaves.

To me, it's a lot more like slavery when some union goon can compel me to join his organization and pay him for the privilege.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

Right to work

Because RTW laws lower wages and benefits, weaken workplace protections, and decrease the likelihood that employers will be required to negotiate with their employees, they are advanced as a strategy for attracting new businesses to a state. But EPI research shows that RTW laws do not have any positive impact on job growth.

Just a Reminder: The Economic Policy Institute is Dominated by Liberal Labor Interests (They are far, far, far from a non-partisan)

Important to note what sort of organization the innocuously named Economic Policy Institute is. By just taking a look at the EPI board of directors, we find that 10 of the board members are heads or former heads of national unions, including Richard Trumka (AFL-CIO), Randi Weingarten (American Federation of Teachers), Andy Stern and Anna Burger (SEIU), Ron Gettelfinger (United Auto Workers), and Leo Gerard (United Steelworkers of America). Consider also that one of the institute's former senior economists, Jared Bernstein, is now the chief economist and economic policy advisor to Vice President Joe Biden.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
At the end of tonights shift I will have completed 76 hours without a day off.

I then go back to my regular schedule tomorrow.

When it is all said and done I will have 116 hours without a day off (11 days straight).

As a police officer I have no choice. The need for money makes it okay with me.

I forgot to add, two weeks from now I have to work my normal shift of 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM. I then have to be back at 8:00 AM (2hrs from when I get off) for training from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Not going to be fun, but again I have no choice.

I thought that was what FOP and whatever your local police union was FOR, was to negotiate for reasonable work hours and benefits, safety issues and the like. All they do is act like a trade union and lobby politically. Are you saying they don't even bargain for a reasonable work schedule? Maybe they ought to be doing more of that and less bribing congresscritters to pass laws making cameras illegal.

That's a LOT of hours. Me, I'm pretty much shot at 60 in a block. You want any engineering done past that, I'm sort of lurching around on autopilot. I might be able to do paperwork after 60. But you want brain work done, it's over, and I'm into the hey y'all, watch this # zone.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I think "right to work" means they can't force anybody to join a union as a job requirement.

Like the old "closed shop".

Don't tell him that, it ruins the narrative that unions are the be-all end all perfect little angels.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
We did trade shows in Chicago a couple of times. Good God, that was awful. You couldn't set up your tables, that was some table setter upper union, and then you couldn't plug your equipment in, it had to be some IBEW guy who had to have his hand held (literally) with the right cords or he couldn't figure it out. You could not so much as plug in a desk lamp without an IBEW guy there getting paid. Then there was some other union for setting up chairs, another for putting up signs.

Woe unto you if you didn't bow to it, too, because then they'd have you blockaded or something. You couldn't so much as just go ahead and pay the bribes and then get on with it, because some IBEW drone was presumed to know more than you did about RF plumbing. Except the guy couldn't spell RF with a dictionary.

THAT'S what you guys are espousing. Screw that. If you want to start a union shop, go for it. In a RTW state, you can do that. You just can't force any new employees to join, nor discriminate against them. And you can't show up at my place of business and force me to pay you to plug in a logic analyzer you can't work and don't understand.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The only thing a "right to work" means is that I can be employed without having to join a labor union. Since I value my freedom and don't want to be "forced" to join or do something against my will I fully support the right to work states and laws. I don't want to have to join some labor union to be able to earn a living.

Note that YOU can still choose to join a labor union this just allows me and others the freedom to make our own choice. I consider laws "forcing" me to do something against my will to be illegal and a personal attack on me and my family.

You do you...I do me...or we have a problem.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Rather than arguing with me a point I never made, why don't you check how easily it is to be fired in your state?

I've worked in both a right to work state and a non right to work state. I'm neither for nor against unions because I have no problems speaking up for myself. However if you merely check the diffrences in protocol for termination you may be very surprised.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen
Why do you like to tell me about unions?

I've read and reread my posts. I'm commenting about an individuals vs a companies rights. Laws are in place for individual benefit rather than companies benefit in states that don't participate in right to work.

Well your first sentence in your first post mentions right to work.

Since right to work laws address union authority, I assumed you were referring to the union aspects.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

If you are talking about Wrongful Termination, then we should look at the Federal and State laws that address that.

The terms used are "at will".

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So, some politician is pushing legislation that would allow an individual to choose what's right for them? How horrific. /sarcasm

Some folks really need to learn what 'Right to Work' actually is.

I've been in unions before, and quite frankly, they did nothing for me (except for taking my money on a regular basis). Naturally, unions can serve a purpose for the average working stiff, but as constituted in this day and age, they are little more than thugs, shaking down their "members" for 'protection money', that gets donated to political causes which only benefit the union leaders, and the politicians that receive said donations.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I personally don't get why people, enmasse, the majority, take their land, and plant their gardens, and only volunteer part time at one they want, and never give into slavers. DIE FREE.

So, no this guy needs to be tarred and feathered and driven out of town.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

Right to work

EPI is union kool-aid, which is exactly what I said. Can you show me the research, I linked a meta-analysis of research that proved RTW states do NOT make less money. How about you refute the research I linked, if you can, which you can't.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have a few questions for everyone against unions here.

What are the current wages being paid for shift work? What are the wages being paid for skilled work? What are the benefit packages at these establishments?
edit on 21-3-2015 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

However if you merely check the diffrences in protocol for termination you may be very surprised.

That right not to be terminated for cause goes with being a drone in some union rank and file. Oddly, I am quite aware of it. It also means I can walk off the job. I don't have to bribe a union official with my salary. And I don't have to kowtow to some shop steward. On balance, I'm ok with that.

In general, I find that keeping some incompetent jackass on the job because union is one of those concepts I find hard to encompass.

Maybe you're ok with it.
edit on 21-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
A suggestion like this from a group of people that spend most of their time out of the office, and probably doing things they should not be doing on the job.

And they want to add another workday.... The rest of the words escape me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join