It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain’s Secret History: The Irish Holocaust

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Britain’s Secret History: The Irish Holocaust

Some interesting new facts and analysis that are taken on the known Irish Famine...a period of mass starvation, disease and emigration in Ireland between 1845 and 1852. It is sometimes referred to, mostly outside Ireland, as the Irish Potato Famine because about two-fifths of the population was solely reliant on this cheap crop for a number of historical reasons. During the famine approximately 1 million people died and a million more emigrated from Ireland,causing the island's population to fall by between 20% and 25%. The pic below doesn't represent the real numbers. It's just a pic to illustrate the material.

It was not blighted potatoes that caused the Irish genocide of 150 years ago. Yes, there was potato blight at the time. It struck harvests in the autumn of 1845, and had begun in North Carolina, then spread throughout the Northern Hemisphere for several years – yet it did not cause famine or mass death anywhere, except in Ireland. Why was that?

Nor were potatoes the only major produce of Irish agriculture at the time; they were just the only produce which the Irish – 75 percent of whom were feudal tenants of mostly tyrannical British landlords, fanatical preachers of ‘free trade’ – were allowed to eat or to feed to their livestock! As the historian Arthur Young wrote, the Irish tenant farmers were, like so many others, effectively slaves.

“A landlord in Ireland can scarcely invent an order which a laborer, servant, or cottier [tenant farmer] dares to refuse… He may punish with his cane or his horsewhip with the most perfect security. A poor man would have his bones broken if he offered to lift a hand in his own defense.”

‘Free trade’ decreed that no government surplus food – no ‘welfare’ – be given to the starving, in order to leave the market for food undisturbed. “We do not propose,” Prime Minister Lord John Russell told the House of Commons, “to interfere with the regular mode by which Indian corn and other kinds of grain may be brought into Ireland.”

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
According to Schiller Institute, this is a real holocaust that happened 150 years ago and they published an article about with the title: How British Free Trade Starved Millions During Ireland's Potato Famine

Published in May 1995 the article Makes up for a great read. Here are some excerpts:

Beginning 150 years ago this fall, British "free trade" policy--the same policy Thatcher and her imitators still fanatically insist upon--caused the genocide of 2 million out of 8 million Irish subjects in four years. In contrast to the Nazis, the British perpetrators of this 1845-1849 genocide were not punished for their policies, nor did they change them in any way afterwards. In their quoted statements on that episode of genocide, presented below, you will recognize precisely the dominant British "free trade" policies of today, parroted by such as Milton Friedman and the "neo-Conservative revolutionaries" in our Congress.

And a bit more here

Not Potatoes, But Slavery

Any historian who has studied the subject further than former Vice-President Dan Quayle, knows that potatoes (or the lack thereof) did not cause the Irish famine and genocide 150 years ago. The potato blight which struck the harvest in autumn 1845, had begun in North Carolina, and spread to destroy potato crops throughout the Northern Hemisphere for several years; it did not cause famine or mass death anywhere except in Ireland. Nor were potatoes the only major produce of Irish agriculture at the time; they were just the only produce which the Irish--75 percent of whom were feudal tenants of British landlords, fanatical preachers of ``free trade"--were allowed to eat or to feed to their livestock. The historian Arthur Young had written, like many others, that the Irish tenant farmers were slaves in effect: "A landlord in Ireland can scarcely invent an order which a laborer, servant, or cottier [tenant farmer] dares to refuse .... He may punish with his cane or his horsewhip with the most perfect security. A poor man would have his bones broken if he offered to lift a hand in his own defense."

www.schillerinstitute.org...
edit on 21-3-2015 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

That's a great post; it's important not to let history become sanitised in case we 'forget' what really happened to our not so distant ancestors. This was around the same time as the Highland clearances in Scotland, and a quick glance at wiki gives this quote which pretty much summed up the attitude towards the Irish at the time:

“A national effort” would now be necessary in order to rid the land of “the surviving Irish and Scotch Celts”. The exodus would then allow for the settlement of a racially superior people of Teutonic stock. He welcomed “the prospects of flights of Germans settling here in increasing numbers – an orderly, moral, industrious and frugal people, less foreign to us than the Irish or Scotch Celt, a congenial element which will readily assimilate with our body politic.”

Scary stuff, eh? That was from Sir Charles Trevelyan, bless him.

S&F

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

As I get older the more I hear about how the country behaved towards other people the more I cringe. I am not ashamed for myself or the ordinary public of this country, (we have never evolved past serfs) but the government and royals who directed them are quite something else.

Were this to join the cry for any compensation it would only punishing today's tax payers who had nothing to do with it in the first place.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

I agree. And I did enjoy the reading. Not to many people know about it.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Don't forget the result of starvation didn't get left behind in Ireland.

History shows massive amounts of death in childbirth by the under nourished woman years after they thought they put this past them. The women's hips didn't properly develope so getting pregnant was basically a death sentence.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

When I was at highschool 1999-2003 we had this drummed in.

Rightfuly so.

Dont they teach this anymore?

British genocide of Irish and the American genocide of the natives were like the key parts of mid 1800's history we had to do.

Plus the crimea and American civil war.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Telos

When I was at highschool 1999-2003 we had this drummed in.

Rightfuly so.

Dont they teach this anymore?

British genocide of Irish and the American genocide of the natives were like the key parts of mid 1800's history we had to do.

Plus the crimea and American civil war.

I'm in Canada. Although of irish heritage (as a lot of other canadians) they don't teach this in schools.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Strange

Here in the UK its a big thing .

Maybe write to your school boards?

I think its something everyone should learn like slavery , holocaust , native american genocide ect.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
I learned it in a college history class. If it was taught in high school I was too busy reading the wrong book.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
All nations do it, did it, will do it, pogroms, 'ethic cleansing' inter tribal clashes, religious wars, (plenty of those in the middle east, as its known), same thing different names.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I learned it in a college history class. If it was taught in high school I was too busy reading the wrong book.

What country though?

Im thinking this is a country thing.

Still is a shame its not taught everywere.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm in the U.S.

But, I'm thinking our education isn't the same as other places. It varies by state and county.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Growing up we were taught it wasn't the English colonialists who poisoned farms...

It was the Irish at fault because of their "harvest technique"...

Yeah...

After thousands of years the Irish somehow forgot how to farm Potatoes...

If I didn't have Irish ancestors and family I'd never have found out the truth, I'd have been force fed the establishment version.

Surprised you learned it in school Ewok, we didn't.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I was at secondary school in the late 80's- early 90's and it wasn't taught in any detail. There was a famine - folk emigrated was the gist of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Growing up we were taught it wasn't the English colonialists who poisoned farms...

It was the Irish at fault because of their "harvest technique"...

Yeah...

After thousands of years the Irish somehow forgot how to farm Potatoes...

If I didn't have Irish ancestors and family I'd never have found out the truth, I'd have been force fed the establishment version.

Surprised you learned it in school Ewok, we didn't.

I might have been lucky we had a good teacher,

Infact both history teachers at my school were Irish so yeah that may explain things abit

But they were great teachers. They didnt teach out of a book but got us thinking and questioning everything.

Its a shame you were taught a watered down history

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just to add...

If it wasn't for the U.S (mostly)...

Ireland would have lost everyone and everything.

The British controlled import of Aid much like Israel does in Gaza...
They stole Aid that came via ships from the States and tried to sell minimal amounts back to the Irish...

Who of course couldn't afford to purchase the Aid because their income from exports had been destroyed...

Oh yes, "the Landlords" we're quite evil...

Wouldn't be surprised if the death toll was much higher than we're told either.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
We have such a shameful history......the ruling class have a lot to answer for...what a bunch of scum

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I went to Catholic School, which is quite good at watering down history.

Not Catholicism in general, no offence to the Catholics among us...
As a whole they're pretty warts and all...

But schooling is a little different, here in London at least!

Your teachers sound amazing, we had a few gems, just not in History class.

edit on 21-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join