It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The building that could change the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

That looks nothing like what is being depicted. Possibly still neat, but not at all what is being discussed, which is a building dwarfing anything known to mankind today.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Underwater cities is an accident waiting to happen if it's gonna house a society as volatile as ours.

I think we need a population reduction, we've got ideas alright, but do we have the time to implement them before a convergence of disasters hits us? Radical ideas like these would take decades to implement and we as a society are riding a runaway train that we couldn't stop even if we tried.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Its not entirely smart to build so high. What in 100s or so years when the tall buildings built 100 years ago from now, start to have structural problems? Its sort of creating a nightmare for the future. Or is it thought that the materials and architecture and engineering are designed to withstand 1000s of years no problem?

There is a building in Rome, Italy, that is built of cast concrete, called the Parthenon, built 2,000 years ago, the structure is still sound, no rebar in it at all.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rnaa

So will these grand designs ever become a possibility? Not in our lifetime.

Rubbish.

Soleri's own Arcosanti in Arizona has been under construction since 1970, is thriving and still growing towards its goal of housing and supporting 5000 residents.

Rubbish? Masdar city will house ten times the amount of civilians as Arcosanti will.

Nevertheless The point of my thread was to highlight how the arcology could evolve into a singular building over time, Acrosanti has nothing to do with the modern interpretation of the arcology which bases it roots in science fiction and that's the arcology I was highlighting, I merely acknowledged Soleri as the brainchild of the idea that has continued to evolve over the decades.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Nevertheless The point of my thread was to highlight how the arcology could evolve into a singular building over time, Acrosanti has nothing to do with the modern interpretation of the arcology which bases it roots in science fiction and that's the arcology I was highlighting, I merely acknowledged Soleri as the brainchild of the idea that has continued to evolve over the decades.

The word 'arcology' was coined by Soleri. Arcosanti is Soleri's real world laboratory; it exists as the 'proof of concept' for future arcology based cities. Of course future arcologies will be bigger and more 'advanced' than the Arcosanti. Soleri is the pioneer of the movement and the first to begin construction of a real-world testing platform. As such its develpoment 'plan' has always been extremely dynamic as priorities and ideas shifted.

Of course Soleri is not the only researcher working on the concept. Many are his students, and every other will acknowledge Soleri as the founder of the 'movement'.

I was pushing back only against the idea that arcologies won't exist in our lifetime. Arcosanti does exist today and it is an arcology.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join